Ford and Google Team up!! - You heard it from me first :-)

I am of the opinion that the people who understand how to utilize and exploit for profit the very rapid advances in technology (hardware, software, rockets, engines and more) have a deep desire to find a way to best utilize the strengths of the brick and mortar manufacturing giants - since it is these same minds who design and conceptualize great technologies but rarely build them. Apple builds stuff by contract from someone else. Most high tech companies do not build complicated hardware. So, to me this means the $$ in Silicon Valley will soon be at Ford and GM's Door (or FCA) and willing to make a long term deal to build here in America.

The next 3 years will be very interesting. That, I have little doubt.

Edited by Steveottawa
  • Like 1

I'm perfectly fine with supplemental self driving cars...i.e....your on a long trip and want to take a nap or talk to your passengers without being distracted. Not so much with fully autonomous cars.

I guess I'm lamenting the day that I can't drive a car and experience "freedom" that it brings nor a car being an extension of who I am. I refuse to feel like a drone that has to depend on self driving car to take me places and what not.

Guess I should buy that GT350 sooner then later so I can still drive a stick and have a "fun" car to drive 20-25 years from now.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly fine with supplemental self driving cars...i.e....your on a long trip and want to take a nap or talk to your passengers without being distracted. Not so much with fully autonomous cars.

I guess I'm lamenting the day that I can't drive a car and experience "freedom" that it brings nor a car being an extension of who I am. I refuse to feel like a drone that has to depend on self driving car to take me places and what not.

Guess I should buy that GT350 sooner then later so I can still drive a stick and have a "fun" car to drive 20-25 years from now.

A Red Barchetta as it were.

I thought the song was appropriate to the topic. The legend is the song was inspired by a R&T article regarding how cars in the future would be over-sized safety capsules (Air Car in the song). Therefore, the drivers wouldn't require any skill and just bash into each other with no damage. The idea of driving just for fun (My weekly crime) would be forgotten.

I just got the Blu-Ray of their R40 tour and it's amazing just like when I saw them in Vancouver! I can tell they are a wee slower but still so tight! I kind of understand why Neal Peart is retiring from touring. There's no way you can keep that up forever.

I thought the song was appropriate to the topic. The legend is the song was inspired by a R&T article regarding how cars in the future would be over-sized safety capsules (Air Car in the song). Therefore, the drivers wouldn't require any skill and just bash into each other with no damage. The idea of driving just for fun (My weekly crime) would be forgotten.

Actually IIRC, it was a short story about how gasoline-powered cars would be illegal in the future. In the story, the red barchetta goes over a cliff pursued by the police, and that's the end . . . except that the observer in the story and his friends went back and salvaged what they could, and re-built the car. The story concludes with the intention of test-driving it that night. :)

• Like 1

Actually IIRC, it was a short story about how gasoline-powered cars would be illegal in the future. In the story, the red barchetta goes over a cliff pursued by the police, and that's the end . . . except that the observer in the story and his friends went back and salvaged what they could, and re-built the car. The story concludes with the intention of test-driving it that night. :)

Yes, I said the song was inspired by the story not based on it.

• Like 1

I just discovered that Rush covered "The Seeker" and that it is incredible.

Also, in the 70s 1981, there was this dreadful made-for-TV-movie direct-to-video movie called "The Last Chase" which was apparently written by people who were stuck in the 50s, as the guy driving the car in the movie is trying desperately to get to California where people are free to drive whatever they want, however they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Chase

I know about it because it was on the KTMA season of MST3k.

Spoiler alert:

Burgess Meredith dies at the end of this movie in a plane crash, the same way he dies at the end of Deathflight SST (another KTMA MST3k ep). So I guess in the 70s/early 80s, if your low-budget movie required someone to die in a plane crash, you called Burgess Meredith.

• Like 1

I could have told you that. They did a pretty good cover of "Crossroads" too.

Any other Rush facts you might want to know? If I don't know it, I certainly know people that do. BTW, I'm a huge Rush fan. I own every studio and live album they've ever put out.

Richard, I remember watching "The Last Chase". I kept thinking it would get better, but it didn't. Really bad movie.

Oh. Wow.

Have you seen the Kevin Costner remake, "The Postman"?

I can just see the pitch: "What we're going to do is take the *only* interesting part of 'The Last Chase' and replace it with a sack of mail."

Also, the Postman was set in 2013. Think about that.........

Also, in the 70s 1981, there was this dreadful made-for-TV-movie direct-to-video movie called "The Last Chase" which was apparently written by people who were stuck in the 50s, as the guy driving the car in the movie is trying desperately to get to California where people are free to drive whatever they want, however they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Chase

I know about it because it was on the KTMA season of MST3k.

Spoiler alert:

Burgess Meredith dies at the end of this movie in a plane crash, the same way he dies at the end of Deathflight SST (another KTMA MST3k ep). So I guess in the 70s/early 80s, if your low-budget movie required someone to die in a plane crash, you called Burgess Meredith.

I remember watching this movie as a kid and thought it was cool, but also was aware of the Porsche sized plot holes that it had even at 7-8 years old when I saw it.

Oh. Wow.

Have you seen the Kevin Costner remake, "The Postman"?

I can just see the pitch: "What we're going to do is take the *only* interesting part of 'The Last Chase' and replace it with a sack of mail."

Also, the Postman was set in 2013. Think about that.........

I only watched part of "The Postman". Just got bored with it.