New Ford Auto Plant for Mexico?

From Reuters:

Jan 14 Ford Motor Co will announce a new automobile plant in the Mexican state of San Luis Potosi during the first quarter, two government officials familiar with company plans said on Thursday.

The plant should produce around 350,000 cars annually, according to the two officials, and the investment should be worth slightly over $1.5 billion, one of them said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Ford Mexico had no immediate comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ford-motor-mexico-idUSL2N14Y1VR20160114

• Like 1

Interesting...

San Luis Potosi is roughly half way between Hermosillo (Fusion/MKZ) and Cuautitlán (Fiesta).

We have been assuming that Focus/C-Max will be moving to Cuautitlán and Fiesta will be consolidated in Thailand.

So this changes things quite a bit. Cuautitlán can now stay as Fiesta plant and add new SUV (EcoSport). A new plant in San Luis Potosi can handle Focus, C-Max, and perhaps Transit Connect.

The new Focus based PHEV goes to Hermosillo with Fusion/MKZ (that plant is already setup for PHEV assembly).

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Sounds like this new plant will be commissioned for the new B and C cars while Cuautitlan may be repurposed for something else after products are launched at the new plant

Suddenly Ford seems to have a lot more capacity just in front of the next

Bargaining round, that may or may not be a factor

Suddenly Ford seems to have a lot more capacity just in front of the next

Bargaining round, that may or may not be a factor

It will only be a problem depending on the economy. If we are still pumping out trucks and SUV's as fast as they can be sold, there will be no problem. A slowdown in trucks and cars are booming will be a problem.

Maybe they do. Focus/C-max replacement and transit connect in the new plant. Fusion and MkZ stays in Hermosillo. Fiesta and Ecosport type SUV in Cuautitlán.

This plant should be the same size as HAP, or 100,000 units a shift per year , not the 130,000 a shift at MAP I cannot foresee the need for more

I think, The Complexity of building the TC, C-max and focus on the same line is too much to overcome. Especially if this line is long and fast. The build variation will make this extremely difficult.

Although the TC is on the same platform it is a complex product, with alot variations and size constraints,, not present in the Focus or C-max. IF the TC is built in this new plant, it would be best if it shared a separate line with the C-max, escape or MKC not with the Focus.

In the end, I think the TC will end up a MAP, built along side the Ranger, Bronco and New HEV, why?

Buy america, rules on Federally funded purchases, no Compact Van is being produced in the US if the TC is built in the US Ford would have that market to itself.

Question, Why was the Refresh on the Focus and Fusion So minimal.

I'll wait for your reply.

I don't consider sync 3 and a 2.7LEB Sport model to be minimal. That to me is more significant than just changing the sheetmetal.

Ford either doesn't believe it needs to do more or it has higher priorities on which to spend that time and effort. That's the case with every business decision they make.

Edited by akirby

This plant should be the same size as HAP, or 100,000 units a shift per year , not the 130,000 a shift at MAP I cannot foresee the need for more

I think, The Complexity of building the TC, C-max and focus on the same line is too much to overcome. Especially if this line is long and fast. The build variation will make this extremely difficult.

Although the TC is on the same platform it is a complex product, with alot variations and size constraints,, not present in the Focus or C-max. IF the TC is built in this new plant, it would be best if it shared a separate line with the C-max, escape or MKC not with the Focus.

In the end, I think the TC will end up a MAP, built along side the Ranger, Bronco and New HEV, why?

Buy america, rules on Federally funded purchases, no Compact Van is being produced in the US if the TC is built in the US Ford would have that market to itself.

Good point about build variation and Buy America requirements.

350k capacity is really only good for Focus and C-Max now that I think about it... US, Canada, Mexico, South America - that's about all the capacity.

So Transit Connect will have to be made in the US. Question is where... MAP with Ranger? Ohio with medium duty? Flat Rock with Continental and Mustang? Those are the only real options.

• Like 1