Chevy Commercials Attacking F150 ...again!

bdegrand

Basically they're claiming having WIFI built into the truck is an option "everyone" should want.

In my eyes, it's just another service they want to sell along with their OnStar.

Nevermind all of my phones can WIFI hotspot, so I don't care if my vehicle has it. And from a security perspective, I'd rather it DIDN'T have WIFI. Just another security breach waiting to happen. Another easy way to hack into your car and take control.

So does GM claim it's WiFi is better in the truck?

It has built-in wifi whereas the Ford does not. Not yet at least. But as I and others have pointed out most smartphones can function as a wifi hotspot anyway and you have your choice of carriers, can upgrade or switch at any time and it can be used anywhere. For that reason it's a stupid commercial.

Five digit keypad is the best and most useful car/truck feature ever thought up by the human race. I won't buy a vehicle without it, so I guess I am locked into Ford. Other vehicle entry features are just not the same. Not having to worry about keys while skiing in deep powder or camping, mountain biking/hiking in the National Forest is simply the greatest thing ever!

Only problem is if you have remote start, you can't lock the keys into the car...or at least I haven't figured out how.

My first thought when watching the clip above is..... "Why is GM afraid to put a Platinum in the commercial (they used an XLT) against their High Country in the ad". I'm surprised no one mentioned that already.. lol.. is that what it takes to make GM look good, take the 2nd of the lowest trim against their highest trim??

• Like 1

My first thought when watching the clip above is..... "Why is GM afraid to put a Platinum in the commercial (they used an XLT) against their High Country in the ad". I'm surprised no one mentioned that already.. lol.. is that what it takes to make GM look good, take the 2nd of the lowest trim against their highest trim??

Not for this particular advert. No 2015 F-150 trim level offers a telematics system with built-in LTE based wi-fi hotspot like OnStar, so that's a moot point.

So now I can add Chevy trucks to my list of places to look for unsecured hotspots to mooch off of?

No. Chevy trucks and other GM vehicles with OnStar's wi-fi hotspot have randomized SSIDs and passwords and are WPA2 enabled by default.

Edited by aneekr

Not for this particular advert. No 2015 F-150 trim level offers a telematics system with built-in LTE based wi-fi hotspot like OnStar, so that's a moot point.

It's moot when comparing telematics features, but it's not moot from an overall appearance standpoint. If you think that wasn't done on purpose you're dreaming.

And sync3 is getting the same option I believe with sync connect on the 2017 models, but I still don't think it's a good or necessary feature for the vast majority of drivers.

Is it the Ford remote start from the key?

I believe it was technically a dealer-installed accessory at the time, but I ordered it when I ordered the car. So I have a separate "Ford" button/fob that is my remote start. This was before Ford had the remote start integrated into the single fob.

I'll have to test my dad's remote start on his Explorer when I get a chance.

Edited by rmc523