2017/18 Mustang vs '17 Fusion Sport

By definition:

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed or spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

Certainly the Mustang GT is that. Even with the Mustang base V6 at 300 HP is fairly luxurious (add in a tire/wheel combo) and it's good handler too. At the low end base/base the Mustang/Fusion it's no contest in HP. At the high end even more so at 435 HP (then there's the GT350 and Hennessey/Petty 770 HP!!!).

Only between the 2 Ecoboost motors is there an overlap where the Fusion is ahead. And who's to say the Mustang won't get the 2.7 EB to replace the 2.3 by 2018?

By definition:

Certainly the Mustang GT is that. Even with the Mustang base V6 at 300 HP is fairly luxurious (add in a tire/wheel combo) and it's good handler too. At the low end base/base the Mustang/Fusion it's no contest in HP. At the high end even more so at 435 HP (then there's the GT350 and Hennessey/Petty 770 HP!!!).

Only between the 2 Ecoboost motors is there an overlap where the Fusion is ahead. And who's to say the Mustang won't get the 2.7 EB to replace the 2.3 by 2018?

A rumor I heard at the plant at the end of last summer was the 3.7 was the engine to be replaced in the Mustang, not the 2.3.

Mustang order guide should be out next week at the latest, job 1 is June. Anyone know when they 10-speed goes into production? Also noticed that the Explorer Limited goes to the 2.3L Ecoboost as standard Equipment 2017.

Speaking of Transmissions what happened to the GM 9-speed Ford was going to use? I see the new GM's are using an 8speed in FWD applications, and the Camero at NYIAS had the Ford 10 speed.

The Mustang MCE is coming for my 2018 which will probably be released the during the first half of 2017 I would think the 10 speed would be introduced then along with a 3.7 replacement and an enhanced 5.0.

Yeah, I can't find the link where I read it, but I'm thinking now it said CY '17 and not MY '17.

From what I've read, the Raptor will be the first to get the 10 speed. My bet is the rest of the F150 lineup will follow with the new 10 speed. Then the Mustang will follow. So I would guess it'll be another 2 years.

The joint developed 9 speed was a FWD. So that won't be going in a Mustang.

I hope the 2.7 replaces the 3.7 and the 2.3 will be the base engine.

That would be a better match with the Camaro line

I doubt Ford would make a EB the base motor. Chevrolet isn't as invested in turbos as Ford is. I think the base turbo 4 in the Camaro was a swipe at the Mustang. Then again if the Mustang had the 2.3 EB, the 2.7 EB and then the NA 5.2 (regular crank) that would make sense. With the 350GT and a GT 500 (3.5 EB with electric at the front?) and a GT500 EB 5.2!

I'd still take the 3.7 NA V6 over the EB 4. there's no reason it couldn't be making 325 HP right now, except Ford has put most of it's eggs in the EB technology. As is the 2.3 EB is rough, I don't know about the Focus RS yet.

Edited by timmm55

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt Ford would make a EB the base motor. Chevrolet isn't as invested in turbos as Ford is. I think the base turbo 4 in the Camaro was a swipe at the Mustang. Then again if the Mustang had the 2.3 EB, the 2.7 EB and then the NA 5.2 (regular crank) that would make sense. With the 350GT and a GT 500 (3.5 EB with electric at the front?) and a GT500 EB 5.2!

I'd still take the 3.7 NA V6 over the EB 4. there's no reason it couldn't be making 325 HP right now, except Ford has put most of it's eggs in the EB technology. As is the 2.3 EB is rough, I don't know about the Focus RS yet.

Yeah, thats the reason I ordered a V6 and got katzkin leather to compensate for the premium package

2.7 is likely to be a replacement for v8. I heard a 10-speed tranny will be used on 2018 so if you want an auto dd, wait for the 2018 model

10 speed tranny is coming in 2018, it's a refresh year.

The 2.7 however, is not and will never be a replacement for the 5.0 in the Mustang. The day they drop the V-8 from the Mustang is the day they stop making them. Sales would die overnight. For more information see Ford Probe.