Tesla under investigation over autopilot system linked to death

blwnsmoke

Don't think I saw this posted before.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/tesla-under-investigation-over-autopilot-203300345.html

The May crash occurred when a tractor trailer drove across a divided highway, where a Tesla in autopilot mode was driving. The Model S passed under the tractor trailer, and the bottom of the trailer hit the Tesla vehicle's windshield.

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied," Tesla wrote.

Edited by blwnsmoke

There is no way the driver was paying attention if he didn't see a tractor trailer drive across the road in front of him.

Tell me again how computers are better safer drivers.

Agreed 100%

Edited by Ron W.

I just saw this on Facebook. There is no way the driver was paying attention if he didn't see a tractor trailer drive across the road in front of him.

Tell me again how computers are better safer drivers.

The obvious solution is to repaint every trailer in the United States with an easily recognized pattern for the computers.

Fatal Tesla Crash Spurs Criticism of On-The-Road Beta Testing

Tesla Motors Inc. says the self-driving feature suspected of being involved in a May 7 fatal crash is experimental, yet it’s been installed on all 70,000 of its cars since October 2014.

For groups that have lobbied for stronger safety rules, that’s precisely what’s wrong with U.S. regulators’ increasingly anything-goes approach.

“Allowing automakers to do their own testing, with no specific guidelines, means consumers are going to be the guinea pigs in this experiment,” said Jackie Gillan, president for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, a longtime Washington consumer lobbyist who has helped shape numerous auto-technology mandates. “This is going to happen again and again and again.”

Tesla’s use of technology still in development, while common in its Silicon Valley home, contrasts with the cautious method of General Motors Co. and other automakers that have restricted their semi-autonomous cars to test tracks and professional drivers. It’s permitted because U.S. regulators have taken an intentionally light approach to encourage innovation.

more at story link above......

And if Ford and GM had been testing these systems on unsuspecting consumers,

they would be pilloried by the press and probably open to huge class action suits...

What makes Tesla so different....

It's also a case of regulators not understanding fully what they are allowing on the road.

a huge rethink is required here, this is very poor judgement...

Edited by jpd80

I believe Tesla is acting recklessly by doing something all major automakers can but won't do for very responsible reasons, however the accident scenario isn't exactly clear. I know my car would have responded quickly to obstructions in it's path, sometimes before I even notice them and I know the Tesla system is just as capable. So like many truck/car accidents, the car is going much faster and can't respond to the sudden action of a slower moving object entering its path. In either case, the problem is always human error.

Like all technology, the foolish thing to do is to see one incident, make assumptions, and just give up on the whole idea. Tens of thousands of people die every year in the US in car accidents, clearly something can be done better and it's monumentally stupid to assume 1 death is more significant than all the others.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

And it goes back to what richard said in a previous thread,

"How do you make a technology fail in a safe way?"

At the monment, that would seem to be elusive...

This is outrageous that Tesla is using its own "true believers" as guinea pigs for under developed technology.

It either couldn't distinguish the light trailer against a light sky or more likely it was looking below the trailer and not high enough.

The technology is fine as a driver aid - the problem is full autopilot.

AUTOPILOT,is the most stupid thing to ever have been brought out!!this is not a dam movie where the shit looks cool,hey i can play a game or go to sleep while my car drives me to where i am going.This in my estimation is another thing that will cause more people to be lazy behind the wheel.

The bigger problem I have with all of this is that Tesla is allowing the public to do their beta testing on open public roads. I'm actually kinda surprised this didn't happen sooner.

and will this same program be going into the 400K orders of Tesla 3?

Lord I hope not. The less idiots testing this stuff the better. They would be much better off leaving the beta testing to engineers, not the general public.

Apparently, the person was watching a DVD while driving, what message does

this convey to people that believe every word that flows from Musk's lips?

Chinks appearing in the armor?

Edited by jpd80

AUTOPILOT,is the most stupid thing to ever have been brought out!!this is not a dam movie where the shit looks cool,hey i can play a game or go to sleep while my car drives me to where i am going.This in my estimation is another thing that will cause more people to be lazy behind the wheel.

today NASA confirms Juno traveled 5 years to Jupiter and was off target less than 1 second, no human or set of human could have spent 5 years and done any better....

just saying

today NASA confirms Juno traveled 5 years to Jupiter and was off target less than 1 second, no human or set of human could have spent 5 years and done any better....

just saying

How much other traffic is in space? What was NASA's budget?

I don't want to downplay the fact that what NASA does is just plain awesome (I mean really, travelling that far in 5 years and only being off target by a second, that's phenomenal), but you can't compare that to autonomy in cars. Due to the variables and the many other things in play, I would say fully autonomous vehicles is more difficult and complex than rocket science.

just saying

New Horizons was much more impressive. Pluto is smaller than out moon and New Horizons was traveling 58,000 mph and it took nine years to get there, that means the surface photos had to be taken in just 95 seconds!... as it whizzed by! The signal to earth took over 4 hours to get to earth. The ship operates on such low power that it takes 16 months to unload all its data stored to Earth as Pluto has no Xfinity or Verizon haha!

Airplanes have Auto pilot from cruising, but they still don't have "auto-take off" or "auto landing". And would you fly in one that supposedly did?

Can't expect 100% driverless cars, "in a few years" as some fanatics say. IMHO.

Edited by 630land

The obvious solution is to repaint every trailer in the United States with an easily recognized pattern for the computers.

Also, replace the Harry Potter DVDs with those for The Chronicles of Narnia.

Edited by aneekr

Airplanes have Auto pilot from cruising, but they still don't have "auto-take off" or "auto landing". And would you fly in one that supposedly did?

Can't expect 100% driverless cars, "in a few years" as some fanatics say. IMHO.

Flying a plane (even taking off and landing) in autopilot is much easier than a 100% driverless car.

How much other traffic is in space? What was NASA's budget?

I don't want to downplay the fact that what NASA does is just plain awesome (I mean really, travelling that far in 5 years and only being off target by a second, that's phenomenal), but you can't compare that to autonomy in cars. Due to the variables and the many other things in play, I would say fully autonomous vehicles is more difficult and complex than rocket science.

it is all just math, nothing but math and logic. If you can think it it can and will be completed if the necessary resources are there

it is all just math, nothing but math and logic. If you can think it it can and will be completed if the necessary resources are there

Again - there are virtually no obstacles in space to deal with and no weather. Just trajectory and speed to worry about.

With space, pretty much, though transmitting data millions and billions of miles is really quite a feat. Autonomy is a whole 'nother ballgame.