2017 Continental test drive

The Mercedes logos are indeed lit while driving. I see them all the time.

I think they may get around regulations because the logo itself is not illuminated. They instead place LEDs on the sides of the logo (that don't point/light forward) that sort of outline the start by light, rather than the star itself being illuminated.

What's wrong with an illuminated logo? The Raptor has 3 LEDs across the front grille.

DOT is very strict on front lights - no more than 4 on at the same time. That's why fog lights go off when you hit the brights on cars that use dual bulbs for high beams. It's very archaic and doesn't always make sense but those are the laws right now and it's easy to see why a lighted logo or other lights *might* technically be a violation.

DOT is very strict on front lights - no more than 4 on at the same time. That's why fog lights go off when you hit the brights on cars that use dual bulbs for high beams. It's very archaic and doesn't always make sense but those are the laws right now and it's easy to see why a lighted logo or other lights *might* technically be a violation.

Yeah, I get all that, that's why I mentioned the Raptor's lights. They are in the front grille. I guess DOT (or any other government entity) was never known for being sensible.

Yeah, I get all that, that's why I mentioned the Raptor's lights. They are in the front grille. I guess DOT (or any other government entity) was never known for being sensible.

Seems more like laziness - not wanting to update the current requirements that I think are basically unchanged for at least 30 years. Audi is pushing hard for changes though and I think I heard that they are looking at modifications in light of new technologies (pun intended).

I think those three lights are required for vehicles over a certain GVW. usually they are on the top of the cab. Ford found a loop hole and put them in the grill because they did not want their fancy truck to look commercial.

Edited by Gnostic

Seems more like laziness - not wanting to update the current requirements that I think are basically unchanged for at least 30 years. Audi is pushing hard for changes though and I think I heard that they are looking at modifications in light of new technologies (pun intended).

Agreed. Good to hear changes may be in the works. It would be cool to have some of the adaptive light technologies that are available overseas.

I think those three lights are required for vehicles over a certain GVW. usually they are on the top of the cab. Ford found a loop hole and put them in the grill because they did not want their fancy truck to look commercial.

It's actually width, not GVW. But, the point is, if it's required for vehicles over a certain width, why is it not OK for other vehicles?

What's wrong with an illuminated logo? The Raptor has 3 LEDs across the front grille.

Also, the illuminated stars aren't as bright as the picture I posted, at least the ones I've seen.

Agreed. Good to hear changes may be in the works. It would be cool to have some of the adaptive light technologies that are available overseas.

It's actually width, not GVW. But, the point is, if it's required for vehicles over a certain width, why is it not OK for other vehicles?

Yeah, I was going to say it's width not weight. I think those lights are ok because they don't actually provide light.....and by that I mean, they're not projecting light in front of you that could blind other drivers, they're just there as indicators.

Also, the illuminated stars aren't as bright as the picture I posted, at least the ones I've seen.

Yeah, I was going to say it's width not weight. I think those lights are ok because they don't actually provide light.....and by that I mean, they're not projecting light in front of you that could blind other drivers, they're just there as indicators.

I would say the same for an illuminated logo. But, we don't make the rules, we just analyze how ridiculous they may be. :)

I would say the same for an illuminated logo. But, we don't make the rules, we just analyze how ridiculous they may be. :)

Oh, I agree with you for sure.....I'm just (perhaps stupidly) trying to apply logic to the rule.

That does make me wonder....if there's the "4 lights" rule, how to the running lights/DRLs that stay on with the headlights at night (though dimmed from the daytime mode) get around that? Like if the vehicle has fog lights as well, should the running lights technically turn off too? Or are they just considered part of the headlights?

Oh, I agree with you for sure.....I'm just (perhaps stupidly) trying to apply logic to the rule.

That does make me wonder....if there's the "4 lights" rule, how to the running lights/DRLs that stay on with the headlights at night (though dimmed from the daytime mode) get around that? Like if the vehicle has fog lights as well, should the running lights technically turn off too? Or are they just considered part of the headlights?

From my understanding, it can be only 4 bulbs, so I'm guessing that there is never more than 4 on at once.

From my understanding, it can be only 4 bulbs, so I'm guessing that there is never more than 4 on at once.

Right. But in many vehicles you have the headlights (2), foglights (2), and then DRLs (in dimmer night mode), which often themselves technically consist of dozens of bulbs...well, LEDs.....I guess they're just not considered a light?

Right. But in many vehicles you have the headlights (2), foglights (2), and then DRLs (in dimmer night mode), which often themselves technically consist of dozens of bulbs...well, LEDs.....I guess they're just not considered a light?

But are they all on at the same time? I don't know that I've seen them all on at once.

I'm not sure how the dozen or so LEDs get past the laws.

The regs address multiple bulb filaments. I'm guessing but I believe most vehicles with the led drls/running lights only have one headlamp bulb and no added fog lights, so keeping them on at night is not a violation. Or they turn off at night like true DRLs. I'll have to test that on the MKX.

The regs address multiple bulb filaments. I'm guessing but I believe most vehicles with the led drls/running lights only have one headlamp bulb and no added fog lights, so keeping them on at night is not a violation. Or they turn off at night like true DRLs. I'll have to test that on the MKX.

Nope. Saw an MKX just last night (and the MKC I had for Date Night) that had the full headlights, running lights, and the lower accent lights (MKX doesn't have true fogs) all on.

maxresdefault.jpg