Continental Review

I'll agree, however, the competition does the same exact thing, so it's not as if Lincoln is doing this while the competition has LED lighting standard.

The XTS is the only one I know that does this, which I guess is the competition. Although it's getting a new design in a few months with makes them all LED.

As for awards, it's been a long time since Ford had critically praised products, even the F-150 left critics unimpressed and never earned a significant press award (worse yet they were upstaged by Chevy Colorado). Ford is more Toyota than Honda.

Edited by BORG

The standard lights don't even have LED turn indicators which shocked the hell out of me when I first saw the car on the road, it is the most expensive Lincoln after all. I know it's inconsequential and probably saves Lincoln money, but it makes the most common version of the Continental look like it's 5 years old already.

Jaguar does the same thing with the current generation XF. LED front turn signal indicators are included only with full LED adaptive headlamps, which are part of the $2,950 Vision Package on certain trims and standard on R-Sport and S models.

To me, whether or not the front turn signal indicators use LEDs is inconsequential. I'm satisfied with the standard HID headlamps on my XF, and I'm sure most Continental buyers will find the standard HID headlamps on that car perfectly fine too.

The XTS is the only one I know that does this, which I guess is the competition. Although it's getting a new design in a few months with makes them all LED.

As for awards, it's been a long time since Ford had critically praised products, even the F-150 left critics unimpressed and never earned a significant press award (worse yet they were upstaged by Chevy Colorado). Ford is more Toyota than Honda.

Jaguar, BMW often doesn't even have them even available until the last model year or two of the vehicle's lifecycle. Mercedes may have LED turn signals standard now on E-class....I know they are on the S. Audi I believe LED turn signals are only on models with LED headlights. Lexus varies, but seems to have been transitioning to LED turn signals on all models. Lower Land Rover models have incandescent bulbs standard.

• Like 1

They won't. Criteria for Motor Trend's Car of the Year are:

- Advancement in Design

- Value

- Performance of Intended Function

- Safety

- Engineering Excellence

- Efficiency

Continental doesn't set benchmarks in any of those.

rperez817, why are you on this forum? Are you a troll? You have been a member for about a month now, and I believe that if we took a collective look at your contribution to this site it will yield a significant amount of negativity. I can understand being critical now and then, because I'm certainly not happy with everything that Ford does, but last time I checked this was an "enthusiast" forum, and you have provided little enthusiasm about anything. So I'm wondering what your objective is here?

According to you, you have a Ranger which likely means you haven't bought any new Ford product since at least 2012. So what gives? What Ford products do you like? What don't they have that you are wishing they did? I'm just trying to get an understanding here.

• Like 1

rperez817, why are you on this forum? Are you a troll? You have been a member for about a month now, and I believe that if we took a collective look at your contribution to this site it will yield a significant amount of negativity. I can understand being critical now and then, because I'm certainly not happy with everything that Ford does, but last time I checked this was an "enthusiast" forum, and you have provided little enthusiasm about anything. So I'm wondering what your objective is here?

According to you, you have a Ranger which likely means you haven't bought any new Ford product since at least 2012. So what gives? What Ford products do you like? What don't they have that you are wishing they did? I'm just trying to get an understanding here.

Haha rperez817 and I could almost be brothers lmfao.... I don't know him, but I've been a member longer, and am highly critical of Ford's management of Lincoln, as you all know, clearly..... in any event, Lincoln could be better right now. The Navigator could have a 5.0, and the MKZ could've just gotten the logical thing to do, which would've been a "Continental" rear fascia, and a slightly new interior, instead of leaving it the same as 2013 and ushering in a new face..... the MKT could be more handsome, the MKC could have more wood grain and different trims, and same for MKX. That's the easy end of it..... They also could've had a RWD-biased platform including RWD and torque vectoring for the MKZ, or a sport model...... FYI RWD doesn't always mean high performance just like FWD doesn't mean better MPG..... I don't need an ATS-V from Lincoln, I just need a $40-50k Lincoln "LS", but with modern design and technology........ What a joke to think they actually had the audacity to price the base LS in 06 at $39k.... what schmuks, wonder why shit failed.....

According to the best sources, we will see a sports sedan from Lincoln at some point in the future. There isn't one now so if one wants a pure sports sedan now, they should go buy a CTS, 5 series, etc. and call it a day.

The MKZ is in somewhat of an unenviable position of trying to appeal to the entry luxury buyer as well as the sports sedan buyer but there are too many compromises to be 100% successful at either. With the 400 HP engine, it is uniquely powerful for its class which would include the Lexus ES and Buick LaCrosse among others. Neither of those have any sporting pretensions whatsoever.

Since this is a Continental review thread, I will get back on topic by saying that I appreciate that they made no real attempt to straddle the luxury and sport attributes with this car. I have seen some comments about using the 5.0 in this and other Lincolns. That makes ZERO sense. The 2nd gen 3.5 and the current 3.0 are the premier engines out of Ford. The high revving Coyote is fine for the Mustang but it does not belong in any current Lincoln.

• Like 1

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2016/11/02/payne-lincoln-continental-takes-back-seat-none/93220684/

The rear seat package was really intended for China but it seems that the US press is talking about it a lot.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/03/autos/lincoln-continental-review/

Nothing new in the CNN review but the reviewer seems to think Lincoln is on the right track,

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2016/11/02/payne-lincoln-continental-takes-back-seat-none/93220684/

The rear seat package was really intended for China but it seems that the US press is talking about it a lot.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/03/autos/lincoln-continental-review/

Nothing new in the CNN review but the reviewer seems to think Lincoln is on the right track,

As they should. It's one of the Conti's key selling points, IMO.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2016/11/02/review-lincoln-continental-inches-toward-modern-luxury/93125014/

This has to be the worst review yet. I wish I had a job where I could essentially lie (or not fact check),still get paid, and be lazy. Phelan, did that take you all of 5 minutes to put together based on your preconceived notions?

Edited by jcartwright99

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2016/11/02/review-lincoln-continental-inches-toward-modern-luxury/93125014/

This has to be the worst review yet. I wish I had a job where I could essentially lie (or not fact check),still get paid, and be lazy. Phelan, did that take you all of 5 minutes to put together based on your preconceived notions?

Yeah, calling it the same as a reskinned MKS is inexcusable and makes it hard to take his comments too seriously. He did seem to like the interior though.

• Like 1

but the Continental’s styling and performance betray the fact that it’s based on essentially the same structure as the Lincoln MKS it replaces. Lincoln engineers reworked the existing architecture as thoroughly as they could.

How do you get that wrong?

I saw that earlier and it had so many errors that it should be an embarrassment to the newspaper. He thinks it is on the MKS platform. He then lumps the XTS and the LaCrosse together as competitors. XTS, yes...LaCrosse, not just no...HELL NO.

This site is a Ford Discussion Forum, I joined to read and discuss things related to Ford. All of the cars and trucks I've owned over the years have been Ford, Lincoln, or Jaguar models.

.... He thinks it is on the MKS platform. He then lumps the XTS and the LaCrosse together as competitors. XTS, yes...LaCrosse, not just no...HELL NO.

It's a really tired argument based on preconceived notions. I will humor this for a second, I guess if you take a base 2016 MKS and add in the discounts in the MSRP, then compare it to the new Lacrosse. It could possibly be a competitor, right?

Buick = Titanium/Platinum Ford in my mind. For anyone calling Buick a competitor to Lincoln, I would ask you to look prices for each comparable model. I also wonder the average price of each model sold. There is a reason you will see Lincoln prices being much much higher than Buick. I can only think once the MKS gets off the books, this will be even more so.

This site is a Ford Discussion Forum, I joined to read and discuss things related to Ford. All of the cars and trucks I've owned over the years have been Ford, Lincoln, or Jaguar models.

So does Ford do anything right? Do they have any products you like? Because it isn't very clear.

4% seems very low to me, but what do I know?

It may be more popular than they think. A FWD 2.7 Reserve with the rear seat package and tech package stickers for a bit over 63k. AWD would increase it to just over 65k. That would make a pretty nice premium vehicle for people who frequently have rear seat passengers.

• Like 1