2018 F-150 Revealed

They just had the reveal of the '18 F150 on the Fox NFL Pregame show. Man, I do like that new truck.

They started with a '77 F-150 ("the truck that started [the 40 year reign]"), showed the '17, then moved on to the '18. I love the fact that they showed the auto-braking by having it not run over a Ford tractor. (Geez, I wish that meant they were getting back into tractors.)

They just had the reveal of the '18 F150 on the Fox NFL Pregame show. Man, I do like that new truck.

They started with a '77 F-150 ("the truck that started [the 40 year reign]"), showed the '17, then moved on to the '18. I love the fact that they showed the auto-braking by having it not run over a Ford tractor. (Geez, I wish that meant they were getting back into tractors.)

I am giving away my age here but my first new vehicle was a 77 F-150 with the Free Wheeling package. It was a beautiful metallic jade green Flareside with white pinstriping. 351M with a NP435 4-speed and 4x4. Awesome truck.

• Like 1

A V6, two EBs, a V8, and a diesel. The last time they offered that many options, it must've been the '70s, when the 335-family V8s were still in production. For most of the '80s and '90s, the choice was four mills--300 I6, 302 V8, 351W V8, or 460 V8.

As long as they are putting those motors in other ford vehicles, the production works and giving the option to apply it to the truck is feasible.

There does appear to be a small piece of plastic in the place where a mast antenna would go....which to me either means it still has it, but just not on for show, or they had to fill the existing hole from the mast antenna somehow and went that route

If you look at the top of the passenger side fender in the Mr Truck video I posted earlier you can see the mount for the antenna right by Todd Eckert's left elbow. Looks to me like they just unscrewed the mast for the show. At the beginning it's almost as though he was trying to hide it.

As long as they are putting those motors in other ford vehicles, the production works and giving the option to apply it to the truck is feasible.

I think you have that backwards--the engine volume is in the F150, and that's what'll underwrite their use in the cars. Looking at the numbers, Ford sold nearly as many EB27 F150s as they sold Fusions or Explorers.

• Like 2

Im always leery of ford and diesel when spoken together..but ill give the small oil burner a few years to she how she stacks up..at least ford finally has given us the option in the recycled stag beer can truck....not a bad looking refresh either on the whole package but the fake chrome i have no cares for

Since Range Rover put these Ford diesel engines in their 'rock solid' SUVs, at least there will be a few years on the road in with USEPA compliance by the time they go in the F-150.

I wonder if this means that there is a chance that the future Ranger and Bronco will have a diesel power option for the USA?

Wow...all this news on the new truck; & the hot topic is the radio antenna?

The radio antenna is as obsolete as an 8 track player. I'm betting before too long, car radio will be WiFi based like you can get at home. You will be able to receive broadcasts from around the world without reception issues.

Since Range Rover put these Ford diesel engines in their 'rock solid' SUVs, at least there will be a few years on the road in with USEPA compliance by the time they go in the F-150.

I wonder if this means that there is a chance that the future Ranger and Bronco will have a diesel power option for the USA?

If I were a betting man, I don't see this 3.0L Diesel in the Ranger while it is in the F-150. However, there is a brand-new 2.2L I4 Diesel out now :)

I think you have that backwards--the engine volume is in the F150, and that's what'll underwrite their use in the cars. Looking at the numbers, Ford sold nearly as many EB27 F150s as they sold Fusions or Explorers.

I do see this 3.3L (Hell call it the D33 ;) ) replacing the D35 in other Ford products.

• Like 1

Does that mean a Ford product will finally have decent radio reception?

I can't tell you how annoying that is.

Get in a buddy's GM and he's picking up, like, alien baby monitors on Mars, and I can't even reliably pick up in-town stations sometimes.

Not all GM antennas are good. My impala classic has terrible reception.

SLS- I caught that 4wd blue tractor too. For once nice to see them use some "heritage" in their ad copy, Which brings me to another point- why don't they include 650-750 in their truck copy? Its like the medium duty business is a step child- they should be emphasizing that they are full line. Ok to show copy with just 150 or 250-550 Super Duty but why not have a "big" truck or two in the background?

Dumb IMO

The truck in the video a few posts up doesn't have a mast antenna. My guess is that the trucks with masts are either early models, or it's possible that the masts are there on certain packages where there's an obstruction (like how the MKZ with the sliding glass roof has the rubber mast on the rear quarter panel).

I imagine the dual panel moonroof impacts the location of the antennas.

The radio antenna is as obsolete as an 8 track player. I'm betting before too long, car radio will be WiFi based like you can get at home. You will be able to receive broadcasts from around the world without reception issues.

I doubt that. Satellite is established and gives 90+% of what wireless data would at, I'm guessing, a better price.

Sirius isn't all it's cracked up to be either. Not sure if the pod thingy on my Sport Trac is just going bad or what but I swear I lose the signal way more often now than I ever did before. Their satellites are probably losing altitude...

FWIW, Sirius has terrestrial repeaters. I almost never lose Sirius in my F-150; I used to lose it momentarily while going through underpasses in my Lincoln (which had the "factory" Visteon receiver), but the last time I recall losing signal was when I went through a short (maybe quarter mile) tunnel.

Actually, I take that back--a month or two ago, I had trouble with reception at my usual gas station, but I normally don't have trouble there, so I just wrote it off as "one of those things." I normally listen to podcasts or Audible books from my phone, but for a few months, I was listening to Sirius fairly regularly.

I guess I just didn't say that correctly. What I meant was if they can keep a solid demand for that many motors throughout an entire product line (most notably the f150), then it's financially feasible. You wouldn't want 5.0 only being in a Mustang or a 2.7 only being in a low volume fusion.

• Like 1

Okay, I am getting conflict information. ot at least information that does not "smell" correct.

• The 3.3L is the naturally aspired little brother of the "new for 2015" 3.5L. One report said it had 12 injectors ?
  • Another report said the 5.0L was getting 16 injector and using Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) thermal spray instead of iron liners ? Both statements sound suspicious.
  • One report called the 2.7L EB "all new". Refreshed, but "all new" ?