2018 Expedition Production Information

ice-capades

Hogwash! Camry and Accord are still selling 30K per month. Fusion could be in the 20K-25K range easy with an update. It's still a huge market even though it's smaller than it used to be.

I don't disagree. There's a lot of talk about the car market diminishing but not everybody wants a CUV and it is stilll a huge market. If feels like we are back in the Taurus days when they abandoned a pretty good product and conceded the market to the CamCord. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

The Platinum doesn't require premium fuel - you'll just get a bit less power on regular.

I would not be surprised if that is the truth, but can it be confirmed? Everything I see is "premium fuel", not just recommended or with an asterisk.

What is most likely confusing you is when they're advertising the 400/480 power figures and they say it requires Premium. It requires Premium to produce those power figures but it does not require Premium to operate safely. You'll just get the regular power 375/470.

Usually the Ecoboost engines recommend premium, but you can definitely use regular with them. You just won't get the advertised power and it won't be as fuel efficient.

Switching between the two isn't a problem either but I personally would recommend switching with your tank as empty as possible.

• 1 month later...

This topic started as production information, so I thought I would bring it around full circle. The original post lists the following:

• 09/25/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date

From reading this (and other) posts it sounds like true production vehicles come off the line much later than this date. Having never bought a Ford, let alone pre-ordered one, I had some questions.

• What is a reasonable assumption for how long after 9/25 we start seeing customer order vehicles being delivered?
  • Does Ford treat orders as a true queue? Does someone who ordered in July get an earlier slot than someone who orders today? Or are all those orders combined and batched according to the most efficient production order?
  • Does trim impact timing? My dealer, for example, told me that ~12% of vehicles will be Platinum trim. I ordered a Platinum. Do they, for example, de-prioritize Platinums since the volumes are lower? I once ordered a car from a manufacturer who prioritized the highest trims knowing they got the best margin on those. Improved cash flow.
  • Does the dealer impact timing? Do certain dealers get priority? Certain geographies?

Appreciate any info. We ordered our Expy back in July and "Late 2017" seemed so far away. Now that we're in September we're starting to get excited. I'm assuming December in my mind, but I don't have anything to back up that timing. Thanks!

This topic started as production information, so I thought I would bring it around full circle. The original post lists the following:

• 09/25/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date
From reading this (and other) posts it sounds like true production vehicles come off the line much later than this date. Having never bought a Ford, let alone pre-ordered one, I had some questions.
You're misunderstanding how it works. True production starts on 9/25, with only dealer stock orders being built first. Customer orders start after 5 consecutive days of no major build defects.

What is a reasonable assumption for how long after 9/25 we start seeing customer order vehicles being delivered?

It can take anywhere from 5 days to 5 weeks (sometimes longer but it's very rare) for the OK to buy to be given and cars start shipping from the plant. Once yours is scheduled it typically takes 6-8 weeks from there.

Does Ford treat orders as a true queue? Does someone who ordered in July get an earlier slot than someone who orders today? Or are all those orders combined and batched according to the most efficient production order?

Not sure. Perhaps someone more familiar with the scheduling process can comment.

]Does trim impact timing? My dealer, for example, told me that ~12% of vehicles will be Platinum trim. I ordered a Platinum. Do they, for example, de-prioritize Platinums since the volumes are lower? I once ordered a car from a manufacturer who prioritized the highest trims knowing they got the best margin on those. Improved cash flow.

It doesn't really impact timing too much, only slightly if at all. I'm not 100% familiar with the process but I do know they schedule them on the line to make sure that the more complicated builds aren't done back to back (i.e. FRAP will NEVER build back to back Shelby Mustangs)

Does the dealer impact timing? Do certain dealers get priority? Certain geographies?

if your order is a priority 10, that's the best you can do for a retail order. Your sales rep can request it but whether or not they get it depends on dealer allocation and how many Expeditions they've sold historically.

I'm assuming December in my mind, but I don't have anything to back up that timing. Thanks!

Best guess is customer orders (NOT dealer stock) will probably start being scheduled around Halloween, but no later than Thanksgiving.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending on your area, some dealers will be receiving them either at the end of october or the beginning of november. Those trucks will be the dealer stock order however. The ones who ordered theirs will most likely have to wait until end of november or dec time frame for ours to come in. You can track your order in threads in this forum.