Ford's new CEO plans action blitz in first 100 days

Agree-looks so much better IMO. One of my neighbors has a new Limited. They always drove Volvos and when I asked her how she liked it I got an enthusiastic.."best ever". In fact one of her sons (currently in a Volvo) is going to get one.

I like the Edge. My only complaint with it is that theres a seam/panel gap in the dash right at eye level for me. It bothered me when I test drove it.

I did find two stand-alone Lincoln dealers in NY/NJ- Wayne and White Plains

Also Paramus.....Prestige has a stand alone Lincoln dealership which used to be a Jaguar location...wish it was rebuilt to match the new Lincoln design but hey, it's a stand alone at least!

This is the way my dealership used to do it and I liked it better that way.When I bought my 07 MKX, they had Ford,Mercury and Lincoln at one location and Lincoln and Mercury at the other. Since I always bought from the same salesman (9 vehicles) I bought it at the Ford location.

By the time I bought my 12 MKT, Mercury was gone the Ford location stocked only Fords, while the other location became Lincoln and Volvo.Now, the reason I prefer the old way is I don't look like a Lincoln customer and didn't get treated like one at that location. There were times I was there that nobody even spoke to me.I bought the MKT from my Ford salesman.When I went over to the Lincoln store with my salesman to pick it up, you would have thought Bill Ford walked in with the reaction when they realized I was there for the MKT.

I certainly understand where you're coming from and I find that highly annoying as well, but I'm looking at it more from the perspective of helping Lincoln create a unique brand identity. Trying to get away from that gussied up Ford mentality.

I'm sorry, but what exactly on the Navigator is a copy of the Range Rover?

At least you didn't say it's a copy of the GM SUVs like those at GMI tried to argue.

It's pretty obvious they've been taking cues from British luxury brands with these latest new models. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, but they could at least be tasteful about it. I'm mean, when they're using the shape of the brand's logo for a grille insert design, you know it's lazy, thoughtless design.

....when they're using the shape of the brand's logo for a grille insert design, you know it's lazy, thoughtless design.

But it's OK for MB or Audi to do that, gotcha...

While the style is derivative, it takes Lincoln a long way in the right direction, and while some may

be decidedly critical of the design, real and genuine buyers will be the decider in this argument.

Edited by jpd80

It's pretty obvious they've been taking cues from British luxury brands with these latest new models. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, but they could at least be tasteful about it. I'm mean, when they're using the shape of the brand's logo for a grille insert design, you know it's lazy, thoughtless design.

Ford seems to be the most successful design wise when they take inspiration from other luxury makes:

Original Taurus- Audi 5000/100

2015 Fusion: Aston Martin

2017 Continental-Bentley...but IMO the Bentley looks bloated vs the Continental and my wife saw one last week and said the Bentley looked like a Chrysler 300 LOL

How is using the logo shape for the grille insert "lazy and thoughtless"

I've never seen it before from any brand.

And what can be more "lazy and thoughtless" than your typical cross hatch or waterfall pattern. They did something different, I'd hardly call that lazy and thoughtless.

I think he was saying he liked when nobody paid attention to him.....he went to his Ford salesman and that was that. And didn't like it when they treated him like "Bill Ford" when he walked into the Lincoln dealer.

I think that's the opposite of most luxury buyers.....most luxury buyers like that special treatment.

At the Lincoln location, I was often totally ignored as though they must have thought I was a dreamer and would never be buying a Lincoln.I don't like a lot of attention, but at least great me and tell me to feel free and check out the cars.At the Ford location, I feel totally comfortable there. When I'm over there, I even go to the back lots to check everything out they have. Nobody has ever challenged me for being there. All of those vehicles have the keys in them, so I get in the ones I like and start them up and test the features out.

I certainly understand where you're coming from and I find that highly annoying as well, but I'm looking at it more from the perspective of helping Lincoln create a unique brand identity. Trying to get away from that gussied up Ford mentality.

I agree on that point. The old way probably made more sense when they still had Mercury. With all 3 brands on the same lot, is was probably easier to upsell a customer that wanted more than a Ford model offered or downsell from a Lincoln as the case may be.

You are all assuming lincoln is relevant..they are nothing more than a hang around at this point..i agree for lincoln to become relevant they need product that is bold and very artistic in design that resonates with the core luxury buying group..id like to see lincoln designers turned loose with no constraints or rules and see what they vome up with...we might all be surprised

You are all assuming lincoln is relevant..they are nothing more than a hang around at this point..i agree for lincoln to become relevant they need product that is bold and very artistic in design that resonates with the core luxury buying group..id like to see lincoln designers turned loose with no constraints or rules and see what they vome up with...we might all be surprised

Once again Lincoln isn't going to be German Luxury car fighter or whatever. Its going to follow its own path of American Luxury...and so far the changes in the past 5 years are yielding results outside of the MKT.

IMO I like the current styling they have...its understated, while looking good. Lexus is borderline ugly and is just selling on the name alone.

At the Lincoln location, I was often totally ignored as though they must have thought I was a dreamer and would never be buying a Lincoln.I don't like a lot of attention, but at least great me and tell me to feel free and check out the cars.At the Ford location, I feel totally comfortable there. When I'm over there, I even go to the back lots to check everything out they have. Nobody has ever challenged me for being there. All of those vehicles have the keys in them, so I get in the ones I like and start them up and test the features out.

Ah I see. Makes sense.

they need product that is bold and very artistic in design that resonates with the core luxury buying group.

They already do - they're called Continental and Navigator. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other luxury buyers don't like them.

But it's OK for MB or Audi to do that, gotcha...

While the style is derivative, it takes Lincoln a long way in the right direction, and while some may

be decidedly critical of the design, real and genuine buyers will be the decider in this argument.

Where did you draw that conclusion from? I already said in my previous posts that bad design is an industry problem. I'm knocking on Ford design because it's part of the topic. If we were discussing GM or Mercedes-Benz design, I'd knock on their design as well. I'm not some biased troll you people are painting me to be. Good grief, you guys are no different than the GM apologists at GMI. It's so unfortunate we can no longer offer our opinions to have interesting discourse without some getting really offended. If these companies didn't allow constructive criticism like these message boards apparently do, there wouldn't be any progress.

Where did you draw that conclusion from? I already said in my previous posts that bad design is an industry problem. I'm knocking on Ford design because it's part of the topic. If we were discussing GM or Mercedes-Benz design, I'd knock on their design as well. I'm not some biased troll you people are painting me to be. Good grief, you guys are no different than the GM apologists at GMI. It's so unfortunate we can no longer offer our opinions to have interesting discourse without some getting really offended. If these companies didn't allow constructive criticism like these message boards apparently do, there wouldn't be any progress.

Who made you the declarer of good and bad design? There have been many truly bad designs in automotive history (Pacer, Gremlin, Aztec) but I don't see how you can call the Conti and Navigator bad. There really isn't much you can do nowadays design wise that hasn't already been done somewhere somehow. And being different for the sake of being different is silly in this segment.

Maybe if you would say things like "I don't like the design" instead of "they're being lazy and thoughtless and derivative" you wouldn't get labeled as a biased troll.

Who made you the declarer of good and bad design? There have been many truly bad designs in automotive history (Pacer, Gremlin, Aztec) but I don't see how you can call the Conti and Navigator bad. There really isn't much you can do nowadays design wise that hasn't already been done somewhere somehow. And being different for the sake of being different is silly in this segment.

Maybe if you would say things like "I don't like the design" instead of "they're being lazy and thoughtless and derivative" you wouldn't get labeled as a biased troll.

Maybe people shouldn't get so triggered over one's opinion.

Maybe people shouldn't get so triggered over one's opinion.

Or maybe you need to back up your sweeping assertions of bad design, it's only your opinion

and one based on what you do and don't like, one that perhaps does not encapsulates the true

opinion of the market. If that offends you then I'm sorry but IMO, Lincoln is entitled to change

its style in the way its clinics and research suggests and if that's at odds with you then perhaps

it's time to review your own measuring standard.

If you want to have intelligent discourse, that's fine but don't present your opinion as fact or some

gold standard and then be upset when someone challenges your criticisms, it's the buyers in the

end that will judge the worth of good design or not. The vehicles are not even on sale yet.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Careful with that, you may end up with something that looks like a Lexus. A predator roaring down the road...

Plus, Ford is not prepared to spend $20 Billion on Lincoln only to

find that it could have spent that money more wisely elsewhere..

New Navigator will go along way to increasing Lincolns sales and ATP

but the push should also be there for a good Aviator and perhaps

a LincStang to keep the interest bubbling along..