FORD F-150 IS THE 2018 MOTOR TREND TRUCK OF THE YEAR

Stanton's deal won't look so bad next year after Harper and Machado sign even bigger deals.

Happy many championships have Harper and Machado won? Seriously, there are 9 players on the field at a time, and one superstar does not make a world championship team. I'd rather have 3 very good players making $12M each than 1 superstar making $36M each. Plus, I don't like cocky ball players.

I dont see how baseball can afford these contracts. It isnt a growing sport with increasing revenue streams.

TV!

TV revenue. Football and baseball have become essentially TV shows with huge contracts paid by the broadcasters.

Yep, the Cardinals are beginning a 10 year, $1B TV deal in 2018. That's $100M / year, just from TV revenue. That doesn't count the 3M+ fans that show up at the ballpark every year.

I went to the Garth Brooks concert at the new Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta a couple of months ago. Had a beer and 2 hot dogs. $9.

I don't know if Garth had any say-so in the prices, but one thing I love about him is the fact that he looks out for the little guy. Several years back I remember he put a stop to price gouging on his tickets. Man I'd love to see him in concert again...it's been over 20 years since I saw him.

TV revenue. Football and baseball have become essentially TV shows with huge contracts paid by the broadcasters.

Not to mention MLB Advanced Media and its semi-spun off subsidiary, BAMTECH, which is now 75% owned by Disney. MLB was, by far, the most forward-thinking of the major sports when it came to online media, and they ended up providing the engines for online services like HBO Now, PlayStation Vue, and WatchESPN.

Not to mention MLB Advanced Media and its semi-spun off subsidiary, BAMTECH, which is now 75% owned by Disney. MLB was, by far, the most forward-thinking of the major sports when it came to online media, and they ended up providing the engines for online services like HBO Now, PlayStation Vue, and WatchESPN.

Very ironic for an organization that is so bent on keeping its traditions no matter how ridiculous they might be

I don't know if Garth had any say-so in the prices, but one thing I love about him is the fact that he looks out for the little guy. Several years back I remember he put a stop to price gouging on his tickets. Man I'd love to see him in concert again...it's been over 20 years since I saw him.

Nope, that’s a stadium thing. Arthur Blank and company decided to keep the food affordable for all attendees including Falcons football games.

What I love about Garth is he’ll do 3, 4, 7 or 10 shows in a row if necessary in a city. He just keeps adding shows until they stop selling out. That allows everyone to get a ticket at face value and virtually kills scalping. I think he did at least 5 last time he was here 3 years ago - maybe more. But this was a special one night only concert. It was recorded and should be available on DVD and probably broadcast on cable. There were some major sound issues with the stadium - some areas were terrible and people left or went to the concession areas. In our seats it was ok.

Yeah, if only I could subscribe to MLB.TV and see my home team play! :idea:

We don't have any type of pay TV (we just don't watch much TV), and the main thing I watch on TV is sports (specifically Cardinals baseball). So, in order to watch a Cards game, I borrow the login from my parents DirecTV subscription, and watch it using the FoxSports/ESPN apps. Seriously, I would pay $100/year to watch the cards on MLB.TV, but they don't want my money. :rant2:

Next year, it will likely be the cheapest online subscription (Sling.TV, DirecTVNow) that I can get that includes Fox Sports MidWest.

Very ironic for an organization that is so bent on keeping its traditions no matter how ridiculous they might be

Oh, but when it comes to money, all bets are off!

Nope, that’s a stadium thing. Arthur Blank and company decided to keep the food affordable for all attendees including Falcons football games.

What I love about Garth is he’ll do 3, 4, 7 or 10 shows in a row if necessary in a city. He just keeps adding shows until they stop selling out. That allows everyone to get a ticket at face value and virtually kills scalping. I think he did at least 5 last time he was here 3 years ago - maybe more. But this was a special one night only concert. It was recorded and should be available on DVD and probably broadcast on cable. There were some major sound issues with the stadium - some areas were terrible and people left or went to the concession areas. In our seats it was ok.

I'm glad to see someone keeping food prices in check!

Did you see the flack about him lip synching on the CMA awards? He admitted it, said "look, I'm doing 10 shows in 12 days, and my voice is shot." He's just an all around good guy, and one helluva performer! He truly cares about his fans.

Edited by fordmantpw

I'm glad to see someone keeping food prices in check!

Did you see the flack about him lip synching on the CMA awards? He admitted it, said "look, I'm doing 10 shows in 12 days, and my voice is shot." He's just an all around good guy, and one helluva performer! He truly cares about his fans.

Yeah that’s so much BS. He wasn’t lip syncing to the album cut - he actually recorded that live performance a couple days before. So it was a lip sync of a previous live performance that he recorded just for the CMAs.

On the Ellen show he said he had to choose between an awards show or the folks who actually buy tickets to his shows and he chose the fans.

• Like 1

Nope, thats a stadium thing. Arthur Blank and company decided to keep the food affordable for all attendees including Falcons football games.

What I love about Garth is hell do 3, 4, 7 or 10 shows in a row if necessary in a city. He just keeps adding shows until they stop selling out. That allows everyone to get a ticket at face value and virtually kills scalping. I think he did at least 5 last time he was here 3 years ago - maybe more. But this was a special one night only concert. It was recorded and should be available on DVD and probably broadcast on cable. There were some major sound issues with the stadium - some areas were terrible and people left or went to the concession areas. In our seats it was ok.

Kid Rock does the same thing in Detroit, and he intentionally sets his ticket prices low so people can afford them. He's already said he doesn't care about the money for himself (says he has "fuck you money" lol) as long as he can pay his band and crew he's happy.