Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Escapism

Porosity in Ford Blocks

Recommended Posts

On 1/21/2020 at 2:42 PM, jcartwright99 said:

 

Thanks for the clarification.  I just need to figure out my next course of action regarding this TSB before my warranty runs out.

I think the biggest difference is the 2017+ is an open deck block whereas the 2013 - 2016 is closed deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, YT90SC said:

Porosity is NOT the issue. Core shift due to the stress relief cuts between the cylinders are. The cuts make it so the fire ring cannot seal properly if there is even a little shift. The new short blocks have cross drilled reliefs rather than cut. Not sure when production moved to these.  

As of now, the 1.5 is being repaired with short blocks unless the plugs bind in the holes from the coolant. They don't even want tear down on those now. The 2.0 and 1.6 are long block for intrusion only.  FYI: 1.6 has always been 6006 since launch.

 

On 8/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, YT90SC said:

 The new short blocks have cross drilled reliefs rather than cut. Not sure when production moved to these.  

 

Looks like I'm late to the discussion, so I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread... This is excellent information, just what I needed. Thank you @YT90SCfor posting it.

 

My low mileage 2017 Fusion (1.5L engine) is currently in the shop to replace the engine due to the 'coolant intrusion' issue. The service advisor states that a 2017 short block, DS7Z*6009*G will be the replacement engine. I'm not completely clear whether all short block 1.5L engines would have the the cross drilled reliefs? (I wasn't clear whether 'when production moved to those' meant new car production, or new engine production - sorry if I'm being dense.)

 

Can anyone confirm (or tell me how I can confirm) whether a 2017 1.5L engine with the part number above should have the improved (cross drilled) reliefs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FL Guy said:

Can anyone confirm (or tell me how I can confirm) whether a 2017 1.5L engine with the part number above should have the improved (cross drilled) reliefs?

 

It was about 3 weeks into the process, when I stopped by my dealer, and the new short block was sitting there, still in it's crate. Maybe stay in touch with your dealer, and when the replacement arrives, go take a look and confirm for yourself?

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FL Guy said:

 

 

Looks like I'm late to the discussion, so I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread... This is excellent information, just what I needed. Thank you @YT90SCfor posting it.

 

My low mileage 2017 Fusion (1.5L engine) is currently in the shop to replace the engine due to the 'coolant intrusion' issue. The service advisor states that a 2017 short block, DS7Z*6009*G will be the replacement engine. I'm not completely clear whether all short block 1.5L engines would have the the cross drilled reliefs? (I wasn't clear whether 'when production moved to those' meant new car production, or new engine production - sorry if I'm being dense.)

 

Can anyone confirm (or tell me how I can confirm) whether a 2017 1.5L engine with the part number above should have the improved (cross drilled) reliefs?

 

ALL new short blocks are of the new design. That is the latest part number. If it had an earlier revision I'd be concerned, but that is the latest available.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

 

ALL new short blocks are of the new design. That is the latest part number. If it had an earlier revision I'd be concerned, but that is the latest available.    

 

That's good news - thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the course of visiting the dealership, I've started considering the possibility of an upgrade. Of course, what I wouldn't want is to discover that the new vehicle has the same issue, and in the worst case, it is potentially only discovered after the warranty expires...

 

Is there any way to determine for any particular vehicle whether it was built with the newer engine type with the modified relief design, or the older style engine? Perhaps based on the VIN# of the vehicle in question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×