Hank the Third

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't think he said 100% and I'm pretty sure he includes hybrids and PHEVs with electrification and the "new world" not just BEVs.

And he also included autonomous vehicles in the 100% statement.  Or was the 100% statement attributed to him inaccurate?  If so I spoke too soon.  If not he and the Donald both need a fact checker?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

And he also included autonomous vehicles in the 100% statement.  Or was the 100% statement attributed to him inaccurate?  If so I spoke too soon.  If not he and the Donald both need a fact checker?

Jim Hackett didn't say that. Here is Hackett's statement. 

I don’t think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever ... This company has to change

28 minutes ago, kyle said:

Well maybe you missed this development from GM last week-they are moving aggressively into autonomous....

The 2021 Cadillac Escalade is shaping up as General Motors’ leading technology platform. Unveiled in Los Angeles and New York this week, the wow-factor feature is a 38-inch OLED display in front of the driver. The big SUV also has a raft of driver-assist and safety features standard or available, most notably the second generation of Super Cruise, the Level 2 autonomous driving that locates the car precisely on the road because Cadillac has lidar-mapped 200,000 miles of US and Canada highways.

Super Cruise is not an AV.   The technology is useful as a driver aid but that's not the same as Autonomous vehicles with no drivers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Super Cruise is not an AV.   The technology is useful as a driver aid but that's not the same as Autonomous vehicles with no drivers.

Maybe not but GM is presenting it as a Level 2 AV complete with lidar mapping

so there's going to be a bit of "auto pilot" perception in that message.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe not but GM is presenting it as a Level 2 AV complete with lidar mapping

so there's going to be a bit of "auto pilot" perception in that message.

Auto Pilot is not the same as a fully Autonomous vehicle.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Auto Pilot is not the same as a fully Autonomous vehicle.

I was thinking more along the lines of drivers treating it like a fully autonomous vehicle 

and becoming distracted while the system is active.Thers going to be a big temptation

for owners to pick up their phones while the system is on and pay less attention to the

road and what's going on.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of drivers treating it like a fully autonomous vehicle 

and becoming distracted while the system is active.

No sir jpd80 sir, that’s not what rperez was referring to when he said the future is 100% autonomous.  He means driverless,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kyle said:

Well maybe you missed this development from GM last week-they are moving aggressively into autonomous....

The 2021 Cadillac Escalade is shaping up as General Motors’ leading technology platform. Unveiled in Los Angeles and New York this week, the wow-factor feature is a 38-inch OLED display in front of the driver. The big SUV also has a raft of driver-assist and safety features standard or available, most notably the second generation of Super Cruise, the Level 2 autonomous driving that locates the car precisely on the road because Cadillac has lidar-mapped 200,000 miles of US and Canada highways.

Sorry Kyle, level 2 is not in the zip code of 'autonomous' - I didn't miss anything.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Sorry Kyle, level 2 is not in the zip code of 'autonomous' - I didn't miss anything.

Fair enough and I guess I think my perception of this technology Is based on what is rolling out right now. 

Based on that you are spot on and until the roads are upgraded these systems cannot work.  

On 5/17/2020 at 8:34 PM, mackinaw said:

The analyst is pointing out that there's only so much money in the pot.  Especially now that Covid has severely reduced income.  Manufacturers are more likely to spend their available cash on EV's, not ICE.  A reasonable assumption, I think.

Or they may just keep essentially what they have, and spend much less on development at all. 

The cheapest answer, and with customer funds drying up, the customer might be fine with that for now. 

13 hours ago, akirby said:

I think full autonomy is level 5

Yes sir, thank you akirby. Here's a summary of the SAE levels.

transportation4-sae-driving-automation-l

Examples.

• Level 0. 1920 Ford Model T, 2010 Hyundai Accent
  • Level 1. Adaptive cruise control (various manufacturers)
  • Level 2. Cadillac Super Cruise, Tesla Auto Pilot, Nissan ProPilot Assist
  • Level 3. Audi Traffic Jam Pilot (discontinued), Nissan ProPilot 2.0. Some Level 3 features being added to Super Cruise, Auto Pilot, and other Level 2 systems.
  • Level 4. Ford self-driving cars being tested as delivery vehicles with Postmates and Domino's Pizza
  • Level 5. Still under research & development
Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

In Basic Terms

Level 1 is Adaptive Cruise or Lane Centering  (One drive assistance system)
Level 2 is Adaptive Cruise & Lane Centering - You can have your hands off the wheel for a limited time and not touch the gas for extended periods of time (Ford Adaptive Cruise and Lane Centering system, Toyota Safety system 2.0)
Level 2.5 is Adaptive Cruise & Lane Centering as well as driver indicated lane changes but the system will change lanes (BMW, Mercedes, Audi Systems, old GM super cruise) 
Level 3 in certain optimal conditions on limited roads the vehicle can drive, change lanes, negotiate turns, and get road data from the GPS, but the drive must remain attentive. (new GM Super cruise)
Level 3.5 adds local roads to level 3, stop signs, traffic signals (Tesla Autopilot) 
Level 4 is all of the above but on all roads with no input from the driver from point to point, but driver needs to be ready to take over. (Preproduction; currently run on fixed routes for shuttles) 
Level 5 is Human level autonomy in all road conditions (Dirt roads, snow, unmapped roads, heavy rain, fog) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1