2021 Explorer prices to be lowered.

15 hours ago, 92merc said:

Actually, Lincoln decided their Corsair should be unique.  Their Corsair hybrid is a plug in hybrid, not standard.  And the rear wheels are electric powered only.  So the Corsair hybrid setup is a fair amount different that stopped them from launching at the same time.

The added batteries for the PHEV prevents the use of a driveshaft from the gearbox so has a drive motor in back like RAV4.

The Escape PHEV is FWD only and limited to about 220hp combined where as the RAV4 has over 300 HP.

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The Escape PHEV is FWD only and limited to about 220hp combined where as the RAV4 has over 300 HP.

And the headscratcher is why the Corsair GT is using the NA 2.5L like Escape instead of the 2.0 or 2.3EB?  Especially since there is no driveshaft to worry about.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And the headscratcher is why the Corsair GT is using the NA 2.5L like Escape instead of the 2.0 or 2.3EB?  Especially since there is no driveshaft to worry about.

Engineering on the NA 2.5 as a hybrid engine was done years ago and it's far cheaper to give it a tune vs. engineer the 2.0/2.3EB to a hybrid drivetrain. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Engineering on the NA 2.5 as a hybrid engine was done years ago and it's far cheaper to give it a tune vs. engineer the 2.0/2.3EB to a hybrid drivetrain. 

Except this isn’t a traditional hybrid where the motor is connected to the engine.  The motor is completely separate which should make it easy to use a normal ICE.

I think the reason Corsair GT is using 2.5 is because Kuga PHEV is using 2.5. Ford probably didn't want to spend the money to engineer two different PHEV drivetrains for C2. 

Corsair GT with 2.3 EB PHEV certainly makes sense given Aviator GT example but I'm sure financial projection showed that the relatively low sales volume and likely transaction prices of the Corsair GT will not be able to pay the bills for its own drivetrain.

The obvious question then is why isn't Kuga/Escape ST with 2.3 EB PHEV planned to supplement Corsair GT with 2.3 EB? I think that's a question for Hackett... I mean Ford had already said the ST/RS brands will be electrified so the idea of PHEV ST is not that far fetched. The new Puma ST will have 48V hybrid for example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2019/11/21/lincoln-corsair-grand-touring-plugin-hybrid/amp/

The Corsair GT drivetrain is a combination of the Escape Hybrid/PHEV FWD system and EV rear drive... according to this article the setup has several additional benefits, not just elimination of the driveshaft to a rear differential to make room for the battery.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2019/11/21/lincoln-corsair-grand-touring-plugin-hybrid/amp/

The Corsair GT drivetrain is a combination of the Escape Hybrid/PHEV FWD system and EV rear drive... according to this article the setup has several additional benefits, not just elimination of the driveshaft to a rear differential to make room for the battery.

Isn't the Corsair GT going to have more hp than the plugin Escape? The Escape has about 220hp and the Corsair is something like 260 hp. Maybe I'm wrong, but I read it somewhere. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Isn't the Corsair GT going to have more hp than the plugin Escape? The Escape has about 220hp and the Corsair is something like 260 hp. Maybe I'm wrong, but I read it somewhere. 

The Escape PHEV is FWD only and the Corsair GT adds the additional electric motor for the rear wheels... so the combined horsepower and torque is greater.

19 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

The Escape PHEV is FWD only and the Corsair GT adds the additional electric motor for the rear wheels... so the combined horsepower and torque is greater.

They must be using a larger motor in the Corsair.  Escape also has the additional electric motor but it’s connected to the transmission.

For me, the Corsair GT will need to at least match the acceleration of the 2.0EB setup.  I'm too spoiled with my Escape's 2.0EB.  I can't go backwards.

If that isn't up to snuff for me, I'll be looking at a Corsair with 2.3EB in about 5 years.  Either way, I'm likely to move to a Corsair.  Although, the wife finally saw the Bronco Sport.  She really likes that.  And the regular Bronco.  So I may be out voted on that one...

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

For me, the Corsair GT will need to at least match the acceleration of the 2.0EB setup.  I'm too spoiled with my Escape's 2.0EB.  I can't go backwards.

If that isn't up to snuff for me, I'll be looking at a Corsair with 2.3EB in about 5 years.  Either way, I'm likely to move to a Corsair.  Although, the wife finally saw the Bronco Sport.  She really likes that.  And the regular Bronco.  So I may be out voted on that one...

The last info I have puts the Corsair GT hp at 266 which is preliminary right now. It could even be higher once final figures come out. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

They must be using a larger motor in the Corsair.  Escape also has the additional electric motor but it’s connected to the transmission.

The way I understand it is the Corsair has a second electric motor at the rear differential... so the rear wheels are EV only.

2 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

The way I understand it is the Corsair has a second electric motor at the rear differential... so the rear wheels are EV only.

The rear is definitely EV only but it wasn't clear whether it had 1 or 2 motors.   2 would explain the power difference.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

The rear is definitely EV only but it wasn't clear whether it had 1 or 2 motors.   2 would explain the power difference.

Pretty sure the front wheels are powered by a typical Ford powersplit hybrid drive system like in the Escape hybrid, but maybe with a bigger electric motor for the PHEV models.  Then the Corsair adds another electric motor at the rear for AWD.

Edited by CoolScoop

9 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Pretty sure the front wheels are powered by a typical Ford powersplit hybrid drive ystem like in the Escape hybrid, but maybe with a bigger electric motor for the PHEV models.  Then the Corsair adds another motor at the rear for AWD.

It would be really great if Ford would just release some details already......

• Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, akirby said:

It would be really great if Ford would just release some details already......

Just found this... confirms Powersplit gas/electric hybrid drive powering the front wheels plus an additional electric motor with single speed gearbox and differential for the rear wheels:

All-New-Lincoln-Corsair-Grand-Touring-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 3

Welcome to the new electric AWD, this is something I'm sure that Ford will build on.

I think we can  start to imagining how the BEV C-Max evolved as an extension

of C2 hybrid and how evolution away from those roots gave us Mustang Mach E.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1