Car and Driver Comparison Test: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. 2020 Tesla Model Y

Don't want to spoil the suspense, so click the link to find out which car won. ? 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. 2020 Tesla Model Y (caranddriver.com)

Corvette versus Porsche 911. Camaro versus Mustang. Camry and Accord. The major automotive rivalries seem like they've always existed, but every grudge has a genesis story. As EVs become more common, new rivalries are beginning to emerge. Tesla would like you to think that all other electric vehicles are inferior to its offerings, and the brand's proprietary DC fast-charging network thoughtfully spread over the United States is indeed second to none.

Somewhere to plug in and recharge should be a major consideration for EV buyers, but it shouldn't be the only consideration. Like gas-powered cars, EVs are more than just appliances to move us from home to the store. Regardless of what powers it, a good car should handle well and provide a fun and lively driving experience, but it should also be comfortable, refined, and offer the best possible value. Enter the new Ford Mustang Mach-E. In its big-battery all-wheel-drive form, the Mach-E E4X is the sort of opponent to Tesla's Model Y Performance that is sure to start a long and bitter rivalry for these two American brands.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-e4x-and-2020-te

2020-tesla-model-y-performance-106-162462021-ford-mustang-mach-e-e4x-105-1624669

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tesla “bubble” is near end. With real competition, the customers will understand that Tesla is not as good as it looks… 

The Mach E is an amazing product that easily win over the Model Y (a horrible and ridiculous mix between a SUV and minivan).  The F150 Lightning will be a hard beat for Tesla, that only have a stupid cartoonishly and useless prototype of truck. And more is coming: the Explorer/Aviator EV! 

8 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

The Tesla “bubble” is near end. With real competition, the customers will understand that Tesla is not as good as it looks… 

The Mach E is an amazing product that easily win over the Model Y (a horrible and ridiculous mix between a SUV and minivan).  The F150 Lightning will be a hard beat for Tesla, that only have a stupid cartoonishly and useless prototype of truck. And more is coming: the Explorer/Aviator EV! 

The only thing that really matters are sales and Tesla is still killing it in sales. No one is even close whether it be here, Europe, or China. Tesla has such a lead in electrics.

I can't remember the last time Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Consumer Reports, et al. opinions mattered or even normally aged well in retrospect.    

I'm assuming the Mach-E won, I would check but I don't want to give C&D the clicks...   

Considering this is Ford's real first effort for an EV, this is what, Tesla's fourth, they did well.  (I'm not including Roadster.  We can call that the prototype)

I will give Tesla credit for coming from nothing to what they are in a short term.  But watching Munro's videos, you can tell Tesla has more to learn yet than Ford does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Tesla has such a lead in electrics.

Tesla is still way ahead of incumbent automakers when it comes to electric powertrains, particularly the combination of performance and efficiency. For example, the Model Y in this comparison test delivered 0-60 mph acceleration time 1.3 seconds faster than Mustang Mach-E, while at the same time having an EPA MPGe rating that's 21 higher.

However, the comparison test makes it clear that Tesla is slacking off and not paying attention to the details. Model S and Model 3 are so well designed and engineered that the whole car seems to be much more than the sum of its parts. With Model Y, that's missing. Crossovers are by definition compromised products. But Model Y is among the worst in this regard, much worse than Mustang Mach-E for sure. Too much of what makes Model 3 great got lost in Model Y.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla is still way ahead of incumbent automakers when it comes to electric powertrains, particularly the combination of performance and efficiency. For example, the Model Y in this comparison test delivered 0-60 mph acceleration time 1.3 seconds faster than Mustang Mach-E, while at the same time having an EPA MPGe rating that's 21 higher.

But in the Real world C&D test Mach-e went 250 miles on a charge compared to Model Y at 230.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

But in the Real world C&D test Mach-e went 250 miles on a charge compared to Model Y at 230.

Yes sir akirby, good point. EPA range and C&D 75 mph steady driving range were 291 and 230 for Model Y, 270 and 250 for Mach-E. Tesla seems to be more optimistic with its advertised range numbers than Ford.

The trouble with beating Tesla is that it's a CULT following. Can't talk rationally with cultists. Around where I live, there are hundreds of Tesla owners and many car clubs. The biggest club with most members is Tesla. They rave about their Teslas and claim they drive themselves. Only problem is all the roundabouts here and Tesla system is fooled by them. So good luck defeating a cult. Hopefully the fever will break, but who knows. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Around where I live, there are hundreds of Tesla owners and many car clubs. The biggest club with most members is Tesla. 

Hopefully Mustang Club of America and its members will embrace Mach-E and all-electric vehicles. There have been reports that Mach-E owners who are MCA members didn't receive the welcome they should have from the club.

Edited by rperez817

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Hopefully Mustang Club of America and its members will embrace Mach-E and all-electric vehicles. There have been reports that Mach-E owners who are MCA members didn't receive the welcome they should have from the club.

It took a long time for them to let owners of 74-78 Mustang II's in....give it time.

• Like 2

It looks to like the BEV everyone has to look out for is the Lucid Air. Now that vehicle makes the Model S look dated. Supposedly the base model goes 400 miles on charge and the interior and exterior are syste of the art. The optional one supposedly can go 500 miles on charge. Plant is in AZ and supposedly has 10,000 confirmed orders. It may be pie in the sky, but if Lucid can pull it off and meet its expectations, they have a homerun. I've seen the You Tube review of preproduction model and it's impressive. Watch out competition. Hope Lincoln can offer BEV this nice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It looks to like the BEV everyone has to look out for is the Lucid Air. Now that vehicle makes the Model S look dated. Supposedly the base model goes 400 miles on charge and the interior and exterior are syste of the art. The optional one supposedly can go 500 miles on charge. Plant is in AZ and supposedly has 10,000 confirmed orders. It may be pie in the sky, but if Lucid can pull it off and meet its expectations, they have a homerun. I've seen the You Tube review of preproduction model and it's impressive. Watch out competition. Hope Lincoln can offer BEV this nice.

I've seen one at one of their showrooms in West Palm Beach (through the window at least), and I think exterior wise you're being generous.  Not that it looks bad, but I don't view it as the work of art you're making it out to be.