Ford Maverick Owners hacking Ford parts bin

It's amazing what capabilities are built into some of these vehicles. My '13 F-150 STX has auto headlights, remote start, and Ford's electronic trailer brake controller, none of which came on it from the factory, and at least one of which wasn't even a factory option on the STX. All three were trivial installs, with the connections already there from the factory--in the case of the light sensor for the auto lamps, the connector was actually plugged into a dummy socket on the back of a trim piece that the sensor replaced. I just had to plug in the new part and use FORScan to enable it...

Edited by SoonerLS

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

It's amazing what capabilities are built into some of these vehicles. My '13 F-150 STX has auto headlights, remote start, and Ford's electronic trailer brake controller, none of which came on it from the factory, and at least one of which wasn't even a factory option on the STX. All three were trivial installs, with the connections already there from the factory--in the case of the light sensor for the auto lamps, the connector was actually plugged into a dummy socket on the back of a trim piece that the sensor replaced. I just had to plug in the new part and use FORScan to enable it...

Have you tried adding 2 more doors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this guy purchased a perfectly functional, safe car, and now has one with no driver airbag, a semi functional instrument cluster that throws multiple errors, cruise control that only turns on when you're stopped, no drive modes and 1200 more miles on the clock than he's actually done. 

Yeah. Winner ?

8 hours ago, justins said:

So this guy purchased a perfectly functional, safe car, and now has one with no driver airbag, a semi functional instrument cluster that throws multiple errors, cruise control that only turns on when you're stopped, no drive modes and 1200 more miles on the clock than he's actually done. 

Yeah. Winner ?

And loves it.  I’ve seen this to a lesser degree on Edges but that’s what happens when you have popular low priced vehicles nowadays.

16 hours ago, justins said:

Yeah. Winner ?

Yeah, I question the implementation here, but I get what he's trying.

I also don't get why you wouldn't just use an Escape steering wheel that pairs with the cluster - presumably wouldn't it work with Maverick's parts?

I added factory cruise control to my 2005 F150 XL by putting the CC switches and related switch harness in the steering wheel (removed the switch blanks that were bolted in their place) got the switches and harness from a pick -n- pull for $10 bucks and a 29 dollar trip to the dealer to turn the system on...works great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I question the implementation here, but I get what he's trying.

I also don't get why you wouldn't just use an Escape steering wheel that pairs with the cluster - presumably wouldn't it work with Maverick's parts?

They’re swapping Escape steering wheels too.

• Like 1

I think it’s about time ford gets rid of the analog instrument panel on all its vehicles. Wouldn’t it be cheaper for ford to only produce one IP instead of two? IMO a digital IP makes any vehicle feel more premium. It might even draw buyers attention away from the cheaper interior materials they have been using.

9 hours ago, JHForman812 said:

color me not impressed for the amount of publicity this guy is getting for something that many others have been doing for far longer with ford vehicles. 

The site for the Ford Fusion is a great example of your point - those guys have refined this to an art form at this point. I wouldn't be completely surprised if some of them migrate to Maverick and do the same there.

That said, I don't agree with the criticism of this guy (not aiming at your post, commenting on the general criticism in the thread). He's modding his vehicle in the time honored traditional of hot rodding - only it's in the form of (primarily) electronics - which foretells what we will see more of the era of EV vehicles. I'm just glad he likes his Maverick enough to want to mod it - he's demonstrating an enthusiast mindset that hopefully will never disappear.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

The site for the Ford Fusion is a great example of your point - those guys have refined this to an art form at this point. I wouldn't be completely surprised if some of them migrate to Maverick and do the same there.

That said, I don't agree with the criticism of this guy (not aiming at your post, commenting on the general criticism in the thread). He's modding his vehicle in the time honored traditional of hot rodding - only it's in the form of (primarily) electronics - which foretells what we will see more of the era of EV vehicles. I'm just glad he likes his Maverick enough to want to mod it - he's demonstrating an enthusiast mindset that hopefully will never disappear.

I wasnt criticizing the guy at all what he has done is cool! and more will follow.  I was simply saying what hes done has been going on for a long time in the community.  Hopefully this doesnt draw unwanted attention to Forscan, theres guys that have been using it for a long time to add features to their trucks that werent there or they didnt get when they ordered/bought.  I would hate to get locked out of the ability to mod my vehicles in the future.  I just recently put an MKZ cluster in my fusion with the help of Forscan and the results were amazing.  I feel making a whole article dedicated to this guy swapping a cluster in is going to draw unwanted attention to the community from people we dont want attention from. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, akirby said:

They’re swapping Escape steering wheels too.

Right, this particular video mentioned an Explorer wheel, though.

15 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I don't think anyone was criticizing him modding his vehicle - it was more that he added a few features, but at the expense of a few other things not working - perhaps the biggest being no driver's airbag.

I'd love to look into swapping in the full digital cluster for Bronco down the road.

21 hours ago, JHForman812 said:

I wasnt criticizing the guy at all what he has done is cool! and more will follow.  I was simply saying what hes done has been going on for a long time in the community.  Hopefully this doesnt draw unwanted attention to Forscan, theres guys that have been using it for a long time to add features to their trucks that werent there or they didnt get when they ordered/bought.  I would hate to get locked out of the ability to mod my vehicles in the future.  I just recently put an MKZ cluster in my fusion with the help of Forscan and the results were amazing.  I feel making a whole article dedicated to this guy swapping a cluster in is going to draw unwanted attention to the community from people we dont want attention from. 

From what I understand Forscan is just a program that interfaces with Fords bus controllers and if Ford did anything stupid with it, it would make a major impact on being able to troubleshoot it. It uses the OBD2 protocols with whatever else Ford is using. I haven’t messed around with Forscan too much yet outside of trying to reset the TPMS sensor on my fusion unsuccessful to trouble shoot it. 

Ford is already adding certificates to the ECU to make it harder to reflash it on newer models. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

From what I understand Forscan is just a program that interfaces with Fords bus controllers and if Ford did anything stupid with it, it would make a major impact on being able to troubleshoot it. It uses the OBD2 protocols with whatever else Ford is using. I haven’t messed around with Forscan too much yet outside of trying to reset the TPMS sensor on my fusion unsuccessful to trouble shoot it. 

Ford is already adding certificates to the ECU to make it harder to reflash it on newer models. 

Forscan actually changes memory values within the various modules and controllers which change the way the software operates.  It’s not worth the effort to lock it out because it’s not changing the software, just enabling or disabling features the same way Ford would do it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:24 AM, justins said:

Yeah. Winner ?

As someone who unfortunately needed the steering wheel airbag in December, this is the stupid part of the whole thing.  Put the damn thing back together with a fully functional steering wheel and airbag before you hit the road to test your gauge cluster.  Cool mind, idiotically executed.  And then to go and take a picture while driving at speed is trying to test the lack of airbag.  Ugh.

Looking forward to my Escape on order which will have the 12.3" digital instrument cluster, though. :)

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Forscan actually changes memory values within the various modules and controllers which change the way the software operates.  It’s not worth the effort to lock it out because it’s not changing the software, just enabling or disabling features the same way Ford would do it.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

youre right, im just talking future cars.  I really doubt ford likes us turning on or adding stuff our cars didnt come with.  I use Forscan quite often since I have 3 fords in my household.  its also great for troubleshooting!! much better than some cheap OBD2 scanner that gives you generic codes.  Forscan allows you to see the PIDs and troubleshoot pretty far into the vehicle.