More Next Gen Ranger Details from Ford of Europe

16 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

In light of the discussion about Ford's annual de-contenting tradition affecting U.S. market Ford Ranger, blksn8k2's question in the original post is worth repeating. How much of the feature set for European market 2023 Ranger will be eliminated in the U.S. market Ranger?  

If I were to take a guess the very first thing will be the all digital instruments across the entire line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

That may be, but it’s not good practice when your repeat buyers buy your products and pay more for less features, especially features that are readily visible and useful.   I just don’t find that to be good policy, and it causes negative publicity with your core customers.  You only can get kicked in the nuts so many times before you get tired of it.  

I wasn’t defending the practice in general and I agree with you it’s disappointing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

In light of the discussion about Ford's annual de-contenting tradition affecting U.S. market Ford Ranger, blksn8k2's question in the original post is worth repeating. How much of the feature set for European market 2023 Ranger will be eliminated in the U.S. market Ranger?  

Theres a fair amount of it we won't get from the start because US regulations are stuck in the 70s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’ll be interested to see how nice the next gen Ranger actually is because the current one has been the victim of some major decontenting since first coming to North America.

1) Lariat no longer gets an engine cover.

2) Hood struts replaced by prop rod.

3) Headrests no longer fold.

4) Chrome accents removed in certain interior areas.

5) Power fold mirrors removed from certain trim packages.

6) Lariat painted tailgate handle replaced with a black plastic one.

7) Removal of lighted shift indicators on console.

? Removal of rear door touch sensors on Lariat.

Now this all seems to go back to former CEO Jim Hackett when he said they would try to cut costs by decontenting where the customer won’t really notice, but those little things matter when it’s a competitive market. It’ll be interesting to see if the next gen Ranger ends up like the current one where the first year is the most feature rich and they start removing features after that.

Don't forget the heated wiper park and front parking sensors on XLT's,  If it follows the F-150 the Ranger loses the glove box light,  color changing ambient lighting and storage compartments like the F-150 has over model years. Honestly the cost cutting is just as bad if not worse under Farley that it was under previous CEO's. But until people don't buy the product and ripping Ford apart on surveys they will continue to do it. I won't own another vehicle that doesn't have touch sensors on the back doors so at this rate it isn't going to be a Ford as they have decided to remove them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Theres a fair amount of it we won't get from the start because US regulations are stuck in the 70s. 

Well they did recently let auto manufactures start using the new headlight designs we couldn't use here...I guess we will see them on luxury cars in the next 12-24 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Don't forget the heated wiper park and front parking sensors on XLT's,  If it follows the F-150 the Ranger loses the glove box light,  color changing ambient lighting and storage compartments like the F-150 has over model years. Honestly the cost cutting is just as bad if not worse under Farley that it was under previous CEO's. But until people don't buy the product and ripping Ford apart on surveys they will continue to do it. I won't own another vehicle that doesn't have touch sensors on the back doors so at this rate it isn't going to be a Ford as they have decided to remove them. 

I forgot about the front parking sensors that my 2019 XLT has. I added the Technology Package on the 2022 I ordered and if they are telling the truth they should come included in that package. My 2019 doesn’t have a glove box light, but at least it dampened. I guess the new ones just fall open. I also forgot to mention the removal of door insulation so the doors sound extra tinny when you shut them. I’m still looking forward to my new Tremor, but disappointed how much they have cheapened up the truck over the past few years. Heck you don’t even get a little owners manual pouch any longer.

I mention all of this because I question how nice the next one will be if they decide to go cheap. Ford wants to be a “premium” brand that people will pay more for, but after awhile people are going to stop paying more for less.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 2

The new global Ranger and Everest are getting dazzle free high beam technology, I wonder if that’s something US authorities will look favourably upon, I know they take a lot of convincing but maybe Ford has done some legwork on a case for their use…

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The new global Ranger and Everest are getting dazzle free high beam technology, I wonder if that’s something US authorities will look favourably upon, I know they take a lot of convincing but maybe Ford has done some legwork on a case for their use…

What exactly is "dazzle free high beam technology"?

19 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

What exactly is "dazzle free high beam technology"?

Anti-glare full beam headlights are a new technology that enables drivers to see further into the distance without the need to keep dipping their lights to avoid dazzling other drivers. The system automatically alters the lights by using a windscreen-mounted camera that detects vehicles and bicycles up to 800m away. Specially developed headlights then block light that could temporarily impair the vision of other drivers or cyclists.

Ford Europe has been using it since 2016

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

You can enable them on some Ford vehicles now, I have on my F150 as they are legal in Canada. First time I’ve seen them was on a buddy’s 2015 x5 that he also enabled them on. I think the Explorer platinum, and Lincoln’s with the upgraded headlights can have the function enabled. 

Basially it keeps the high beams on and walks the beam pattern around oncoming vehicle so you don’t bling them but have the added benefit of the high beam being on the right shoulder and areas around the oncoming vehicle

https://youtu.be/5-yPDfSjCJE

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Anti-glare full beam headlights are a new technology that enables drivers to see further into the distance without the need to keep dipping their lights to avoid dazzling other drivers. The system automatically alters the lights by using a windscreen-mounted camera that detects vehicles and bicycles up to 800m away. Specially developed headlights then block light that could temporarily impair the vision of other drivers or cyclists.

Ford Europe has been using it since 2016

If I understand correctly, Osram developed the technology. Each headlight pod has a cluster of led elements, controlled by a cpu. The default for the system is "hi beam." Utilizing the forward radar and photo sensors. When ambient light reaches a certain level the cpu dims the array. When oncoming traffic is detected, the cpu turns off or down only the necessary leds in each pod that would be too bright, leaving the remainder atop near full bright. The oncoming vehicle sees only the "low beam" lighting, while you have the remaining hi beams lighting well down the road. Once the vehicles pass each other, the system readjusts for optimum beam pattern. The system can compensate for vehicle loading or towing, and partially shine around curves.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

If I understand correctly, Osram developed the technology. Each headlight pod has a cluster of led elements, controlled by a cpu. The default for the system is "hi beam." Utilizing the forward radar and photo sensors. When ambient light reaches a certain level the cpu dims the array. When oncoming traffic is detected, the cpu turns off or down only the necessary leds in each pod that would be too bright, leaving the remainder atop near full bright. The oncoming vehicle sees only the "low beam" lighting, while you have the remaining hi beams lighting well down the road. Once the vehicles pass each other, the system readjusts for optimum beam pattern. The system can compensate for vehicle loading or towing, and partially shine around curves.

Precisely, it clips off the upper part of the beam at eye level to oncoming traffic

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 9:29 PM, 2005Explorer said:

I’ll be interested to see how nice the next gen Ranger actually is because the current one has been the victim of some major decontenting since first coming to North America.

1) Lariat no longer gets an engine cover.

2) Hood struts replaced by prop rod.

3) Headrests no longer fold.

4) Chrome accents removed in certain interior areas.

5) Power fold mirrors removed from certain trim packages.

6) Lariat painted tailgate handle replaced with a black plastic one.

7) Removal of lighted shift indicators on console.

? Removal of rear door touch sensors on Lariat.

Now this all seems to go back to former CEO Jim Hackett when he said they would try to cut costs by decontenting where the customer won’t really notice, but those little things matter when it’s a competitive market. It’ll be interesting to see if the next gen Ranger ends up like the current one where the first year is the most feature rich and they start removing features after that.

Wow.  I have a '20 Lariat and I LIKE my engine cover, am pleased with the hood struts each time I check the oil, use the folding headrests, possess a raccoon-like appreciation for the chrome interior accents, just used/needed my power folding mirrors on Sunday, think the chrome tailgate handle is pretty, use my lighted shift indicators, and like the convenience of the rear door touch sensors.  The Ranger wasn't cheap.  I'd be upset if those features were omitted. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BoomerSooner said:

Wow.  I have a '20 Lariat and I LIKE my engine cover, am pleased with the hood struts each time I check the oil, use the folding headrests, possess a raccoon-like appreciation for the chrome interior accents, just used/needed my power folding mirrors on Sunday, think the chrome tailgate handle is pretty, use my lighted shift indicators, and like the convenience of the rear door touch sensors.  The Ranger wasn't cheap.  I'd be upset if those features were omitted. 

I plan on getting some hood struts for my Bronco, and wish it came with an engine cover with the spiderweb mess of an engine bay it has.

I've seen some Mustangs with aftermarket hood struts where the weight of the hood and placement of the struts actually allowed the hood to bend and crease the edges.  There's probably an easy fix but it has kept me from adding struts on previous vehicles, though I truly appreciate the convenience of the struts.  

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Thailand production of PX3 Ranger ends in March, Everest follows in May, so new models for Asia Pacific customers are not far away. North America will probably switch over the end of year break but may be sooner fingers crossed…

https://www.drive.com.au/news/current-ford-ranger-production-to-end-this-month-everest-in-may/

Pretty sure North America isn't switching over until late Spring 2023 from everything I have read.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Pretty sure North America isn't switching over until late Spring 2023 from everything I have read.

I don't know the exact timetable but at some point this summer there's supposed to be some rebuilding of the box line in body shop to accommodate Raptor. There may or may not be some downtime involved with it as well. It's pretty murky still. 

Rumors are right now TT builds start in fall. 

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't know the exact timetable but at some point this summer there's supposed to be some rebuilding of the box line in body shop to accommodate Raptor. There may or may not be some downtime involved with it as well. It's pretty murky still. 

Rumors are right now TT builds start in fall. 

I heard that too and what an absolute coup that would be for the US, if true I’m excited and delighted for you guys.

Next Gen T6 Ranger Raptor isn’t as big of a leap for MAP since it already builds Bronco.

Today I lost all perspective in another thread and apologies to any who thought I was possessed….

Edited by jpd80
Annoying autext typos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I heard that too and what an absolute coup that would be for the US, if true I’m excited and delighted for you guys.

Next Gen T6 Ranger Raptor isn’t as big of a leap for MAP since it already builds Bronco.

Today I lost all perspective in another thread and apologies to any who thought I was possessed….

Doesn't Bronco Raptor not fit?  Maybe this alteration for Ranger Raptor will help that out?  Or was that a height issue that won't be fixed by whatever fuzzy is talking about?

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Doesn't Bronco Raptor not fit?  Maybe this alteration for Ranger Raptor will help that out?  Or was that a height issue that won't be fixed by whatever fuzzy is talking about?

Bronco Raptor's issue is in final where it sits too tall so they put pins in the suspension to keep it from fully extending. 

The issue (or so I'm told by a friend who works on box line) is that the new Ranger is wider than the current one (which we already knew) and it stands to be reasoned that the Raptor will be even wider than that. Don't think it will be a problem in final since Braptor is already so goddamn wide (those fender flares aren't attached in body shop) but I can see with my own eyes it will be a problem in the body shop.