Godzilla vs Diesel

Denao_53

2 hours ago, River Wild said:

I vacillated between the 350 and 450 for a while and made the last minute decision to go with the 350 dually with 7.3 that I ordered on Monday.  I have a couple 550's with the 7.3 at work and the guys like them, they say they pull and haul a load great. My 6.2 has been great and low maintenance.  Everything that's out there about the 7.3 makes it sound like tough, low operating cost, reliable engine.  Shoot it's got about the same power diesels had not that long ago.  The link to the video in the above post is a pretty good look at what it can do.  Good luck.  

How does the 6.2 do towing? Considering backup options if my truck doesn't get built because I won't want a 23. There are a couple nice and low priced 6.2s locally with the 10 speed.

I love the Godzilla in my F350 King, 4.30 rear end and 20" tires.  So much better than the 6.2 and with the 10 speed its terrific.  I'm getting 10 in town 13.5 in longer trips.  Plowing I'm getting 6 or so.  Unless your pulling a 10K bulldozer around for 8 years or 120K miles,   save your money on diesel.  IMO.  Rob

I have owned both,2021 cc4x4 7.3 w 3:55 and 2022 cc 4x4 6.7 w 3:55.I liked the 7.3 , but I tow my fifth wheel a lot .It had plenty of power as far as towing but when towing up a grade it would downshift to fifth gear and really roar to get up to speed.Normal driving it got about 14.5 mpg,and towing the fifth wheel about 7.5.

The 6.7 tows effortlessly.It doesn’t downshift unless it’s a pretty good grade, and is very quiet.The 6.7 gets about 19.5 with normal driving and I get about 12.8 mpg towing a 14000 lb fifth wheel.I like them both but for me I tow a lot and the 6.7 is hands down better for my use.

5 hours ago, Oldfordguy said:

I have owned both,2021 cc4x4 7.3 w 3:55 and 2022 cc 4x4 6.7 w 3:55.I liked the 7.3 , but I tow my fifth wheel a lot .It had plenty of power as far as towing but when towing up a grade it would downshift to fifth gear and really roar to get up to speed.Normal driving it got about 14.5 mpg,and towing the fifth wheel about 7.5.

The 6.7 tows effortlessly.It doesn’t downshift unless it’s a pretty good grade, and is very quiet.The 6.7 gets about 19.5 with normal driving and I get about 12.8 mpg towing a 14000 lb fifth wheel.I like them both but for me I tow a lot and the 6.7 is hands down better for my use.

How fast are your towing the 5th wheel.  I was going 67-70, and getting about 11mpg with the 6.7.  Top of the AC unit is 13'4" high and weighs 13.4k

On 2/15/2022 at 7:04 PM, NedFletcher said:

How does the 6.2 do towing? Considering backup options if my truck doesn't get built because I won't want a 23. There are a couple nice and low priced 6.2s locally with the 10 speed.

To me it does fine but you have to spin it up.  I like pulling most grades around 4500-5000.  We pull a 5er that's over 13K.  The only downfall is if you get stuck behind a slow truck in the slow lane and you then want to pass.  It's slow to go but it will go.  I haven't found a grade out here in Oregon/Washington that I can't at least do 55 up.  Not a lot of engine braking either but you just drive smart. I get 8-9mpg pulling the 5er and I do have the 4.30 rear end which helps.  Only reason I'm upgrading is we are thinking slide in camper and need the dually. I really like what I'm seeing with the 7.3 and 10spd and with costs going up all the time, it's now or never. 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:24 PM, Denao_53 said:

Hey everyone,

I tried researching and I couldn’t find any solid numbers comparing the diesel vs. the Godzilla.  Forgetting the price difference, what is the difference in mpg between the two motors with the 3.55 elocker for city, highway and towing?  I will be towing 7,000 Airstream. I’ve had an order on a King Ranch for 6 months and still nothing. I have a line on a diesel. Also the difference in oil change cost etc. 

Thanks 

Yes it’s about 8,500 more than the 7.3 option but the fuel economy and power is well worth it. I owned 1 big truck with a gas motor and 3 with a diesel.  I personally wouldn’t buy one with a gas engine.  I do tow a fifth wheel camper that’s fairly heavy  about 17,000 lbs.  one thing to consider is resale.  The money you spent for a diesel you get back when you sell it.  But repair cost can be horrible! Probably not too good on the 7.3 either.  Lol

I originally ordered a 7.3. There were a few reasons why I preferred it, on paper, over the diesel. 

Simplicity, the Whipple kit that was/is in development, higher payload due to lower weight, etc.

I ordered based on paper and reviews people gave because there were no trucks to test drive locally. Eventually I was able to test drive both a 7.3 and a diesel, that same day I called my dealer and had them switch my order to a diesel and add the rapid heat option. 

The driving/riding experience of the diesel was just that much better. Driving the 7.3 reminded me of driving a u-haul. The thing was just always running what felt like absurd RPMs on hills -- and where I live we're basically surrounded by mountains on 3 sides. 

I've read tons of reviews of people who really love the 7.3. I imagine with a good tune it'd probably be a whole different experience. But, the diesel, for what we wanted -- just ended up being the better option. Purely based on the actual on-road experience between the trucks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve been diesel since 1997 and I’ve have all 3 through the years.  I currently have a ‘22 F350 6.7L as my good truck and a 2019 Duramax for my farm truck.  The GMC is getting weak in the knees and has an 8 foot Knapheide service bed stuffed full of parts and tools.  This truck is heavy, real heavy (just shy of 14k gross) but has done pretty well considering the life it has lived.  To replace the Duramax, I just order a 2024 F350 CCLB Lariat with the 7.3L and 3.73 rears.  I’m sick of fighting the diesel emissions and figured I’d give a 7.3L a try.  Guess my only question is, should I go 4.10 instead of 3.73?  Truck will be heavy all the time and only towing it will do is 1000 gallon fuel trailer around 3 months out of the year during harvest times.  

5 hours ago, Boss Hog said:

I’ve been diesel since 1997 and I’ve have all 3 through the years.  I currently have a ‘22 F350 6.7L as my good truck and a 2019 Duramax for my farm truck.  The GMC is getting weak in the knees and has an 8 foot Knapheide service bed stuffed full of parts and tools.  This truck is heavy, real heavy (just shy of 14k gross) but has done pretty well considering the life it has lived.  To replace the Duramax, I just order a 2024 F350 CCLB Lariat with the 7.3L and 3.73 rears.  I’m sick of fighting the diesel emissions and figured I’d give a 7.3L a try.  Guess my only question is, should I go 4.10 instead of 3.73?  Truck will be heavy all the time and only towing it will do is 1000 gallon fuel trailer around 3 months out of the year during harvest times.  

I went the 4.10 route because I mostly tow. It does affect gas mileage but tows really well. 

• Like 1

I would think with the 10-speed transmission, you would be OK with the 3.73's... you'll be heavy, but not that heavy.  The only caveat to that would be if you pull stuff... heavy trailer, or do a lot of off-roading (think mud/farm) where you might be pulling or recovering.

My '23 has the 7.3L/3.73 combo... but I've not yet pulled anything with it.  It's normal workday payload is 800-1000# and you can't even tell it's back there.... except the smoother ride.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RustyRooter said:

I would think with the 10-speed transmission, you would be OK with the 3.73's... you'll be heavy, but not that heavy.  The only caveat to that would be if you pull stuff... heavy trailer, or do a lot of off-roading (think mud/farm) where you might be pulling or recovering.

My '23 has the 7.3L/3.73 combo... but I've not yet pulled anything with it.  It's normal workday payload is 800-1000# and you can't even tell it's back there.... except the smoother ride.  ;)

What sort of mpg are you getting?

Well... I'm not shy with the gas pedal, and my job is driving to multiple stops in the city, I get between 8-10mpg, which is what I got with both my '09 V-10 and my '17 6.0L 2500HD gassers.  I just completed a trip from TX to IN, and back, and surprisingly got 16mph for the trip.

11 minutes ago, RustyRooter said:

Well... I'm not shy with the gas pedal, and my job is driving to multiple stops in the city, I get between 8-10mpg, which is what I got with both my '09 V-10 and my '17 6.0L 2500HD gassers.  I just completed a trip from TX to IN, and back, and surprisingly got 16mph for the trip.

That makes sense. I drove 600 miles across the Midwest not towing a few months ago and got about 15. If I keep my foot out of it and stay around 60 I can approach 17. I do REALLY LOVE the 4.10 when it’s time to tow though. The 7.3 is a GREAT motor and I really love the 10-speed also. 

I really like the 3-valve V-10, even with the 6-speed (?) ... it is far smoother than the sledgehammer of the 7.3, and that's even with the added smoothness of the 10-speed, but I DO like the 7.3/10s combo.  3.73's work well for me, but I would think in your case you wouldn't go wrong either way.  Let's put it this way, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

So my 22 F350 King is almost years old in mid Aug.  I have about 15K miles and around town get 11 or so with 15 in longer highway trips.  Love the 7.3 out of all the 4 previous Kings with gas only.  The

10 speed is unreal and with the std 3.73 rear works great for me in upstate NY mountains.  In the hot weather,  the massage-cool seats are a bonus.  Rob

The “Godzilla” image/moniker has served Ford’s sales department well. SMH. 
The key difference?  The 7.3L makes far less than half the torque of a diesel at well over 4,000 to get there, while the diesel makes its peak torque 1050/1200 at an incredibly low and quiet 1,650 RPM.. 
While it’s a fine, lesser cost gas option that will serve well, one should not make the mistake the differences between the two, especially when towing. . 

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, George C said:

The facts? It makes far less than half the torque of a diesel, at more than twice the RPM.. 
While it’s a fine, lesser cost gas option, one should not make the mistake between the two. There is no remote comparison. 

No doubt however my travel trailer is about 7K fully loaded and even through the mountains the 7.3 does great. If you are pulling heavy diesel for sure. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

The key difference?  The 7.3L makes far less than half the torque of a diesel at well over 4,000 to get there, while the diesel makes its peak torque 1050/1200 at an incredibly low and quiet 1,650 RPM.. 
While it’s a fine, lesser cost gas option that will serve well, one should not make the mistake the differences between the two, especially when towing. . 

There has been speculation on why Ford went to '7.3L' for their new big gas motor... if they really wanted to use brand loyalty and recognition, they should have made it a 7.6L... or a 460, instead of the 445.  Oh, well, maybe next time.

I don't think anyone buying a big block gasser is thinking they are getting the equivalent performance of a diesel... that's just nonsense.

• 5 weeks later...

I got the 7.3 in my 2023 f350 lariat with 4.30 gears and it goes great. I’m getting 16mpg unloaded hey and about 9 towing my 30ft camper. 

Maintenance question…does anyone have a solution for the inaccessibility of the fuel filter? Manual says it’s a life of vehicle item which we all know is bs. Are y’all planning to retrofit a second filter in line that you can access to replace? Are you looking or an aftermarket tank that provides an accessible feature? 

What do you think?

I have a 42' Fifth Wheel that weighs in at 17,000# loaded for trips... My 2020, F350 6.7 -  4X4 -  long bed -  3.55  gets 11.5 - 11.9 towing when behaving and doing 65 East Coast.. When, NOT IF I get in a hurry and push the pedal, I drop to 9.5 - 10.3 .. the GOOD thing is that when I need/want the power, I just put my foot in it and away she goes ! ! ! !  I love this combo ! ! 

• Like 1