New Everest debuts on March 1st

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Sport trim with V6 diesel looks to be the preferred direction with Everest and I get that for our market,

the diesel V6 has a lot less power than the EB V6 but fuel economy is massively better….

I imagine Australia will eventually legislate diesel out of existence like US and Europe have done. 

42 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I imagine Australia will eventually legislate diesel out of existence like US and Europe have done. 

They don’t seem to be in a hurry to do that because the price of fuel is already encouraging better choices,

vehicles like RAV4 hybrid are so popular that wait times are close to nine months, all the pickups are diesels.

Even then, commuters are paying near Aus$2/liter (US$5/gal) for fuel which can mean anything between $80 to $140 for a fill up.

By the time they get here, a lot of electric vehicles are just too expensive to consider but Tesla sales are roughly 1,000/month.

Sedans sales are now minor and everyone either drives a compact hatchback, some form of utility or mid sized pickups.

Its like our big sedans never existed, Falcons and Commodores are now a rare sight….

Edited by jpd80

On 3/4/2022 at 3:34 AM, pictor said:

The way price of gas have shot up, diesel might be looking better to some.

Forr 2022 the only SUVs with diesel engines sold new in the USA are Wrangler, Range Rover, and Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalade. Diesel may continue to have a market as more refiners are switching to renewable and biodiesels. 

1 hour ago, Donaldo said:

Forr 2022 the only SUVs with diesel engines sold new in the USA are Wrangler, Range Rover, and Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalade. Diesel may continue to have a market as more refiners are switching to renewable and biodiesels. 

How many of those do they sell though? My bet is not very many. 

• Like 1

Just looking at this rear quarter profile of the Everest it becomes pretty apparent that they widened the fenders and quarter panels to cover the 2" wider track from the previous gen but I'm starting to suspect that there was no change to the width of the cabin between the axles for this or the Ranger. And so far I have seen no word from Ford to the contrary.

2023-ford-everest-sport.jpg

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The current Everest also has wheel arches but yes, the bone line along the body

of the new Everest is more pronounced. Whatever they’ve done, it’s very clever…..

old-everest-2-a246_wm.jpg

Other than the Expedtion, Ford could use a smaller body on frame SUV. Since Ford is planning a hybrid Ranger, why not a hybrid Everest. 

21 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Other than the Expedtion, Ford could use a smaller body on frame SUV. Since Ford is planning a hybrid Ranger, why not a hybrid Everest. 

Yes, that’s a real possibility, an eventuality once Ford gets sufficient battery supply 

Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX are basically the only mid size traditional BOF SUV for sale in the US. The market is really not that big. Wrangler and Bronco Sport are alternatives but I think we all agree that the appeal/core target market is slightly different because those are convertibles.

Outside US, this is a much bigger market so makes sense that Ford is prioritizing those markets given the production constrain. If Ford wants a piece of the 4Runner pie in the US, it's probably easier/cheaper to make a fixed roof Bronco. Bring Everest production to Michigan doesn't make much sense from investment standpoint - and Ford doesn't have the spare capacity to export this from Thailand or China. 

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX are basically the only mid size traditional BOF SUV for sale in the US. The market is really not that big. Wrangler and Bronco Sport are alternatives but I think we all agree that the appeal/core target market is slightly different because those are convertibles.

Outside US, this is a much bigger market so makes sense that Ford is prioritizing those markets given the production constrain. If Ford wants a piece of the 4Runner pie in the US, it's probably easier/cheaper to make a fixed roof Bronco. Bring Everest production to Michigan doesn't make much sense from investment standpoint - and Ford doesn't have the spare capacity to export this from Thailand or China. 

It might make sense as a 2 row Edge replacement, but you can’t build it at MAP and compromise Bronco and Ranger production.  A 2 row Explorer Sport would probably work better especially if C6 sales drop when the BEVs come out.  Or they can do nothing and let the BEVs take that slot.

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

It might make sense as a 2 row Edge replacement, but you can’t build it at MAP and compromise Bronco and Ranger production.  A 2 row Explorer Sport would probably work better especially if C6 sales drop when the BEVs come out.  Or they can do nothing and let the BEVs take that slot.

From the outset, Everest was never planned for North America and you’re correct, adding it to  MAP even with three shifts would still result in internal production competition with Bronco, the last thing Ford wants. What MAP has on its plate now is more than enough.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

From the outset, Everest was never planned for North America and you’re correct, adding it to  MAP even with three shifts would still result in internal production competition with Bronco, the last thing Ford wants. What MAP has on its plate now is more than enough.

What if Everest was offered as hybrid and PHEV only? That would immediately set it apart from Bronco to the average person. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What if Everest was offered as hybrid and PHEV only? That would immediately set it apart from Bronco to the average person. 

Hood point but there hasn’t been anything said on Hybrid/PHEV, there was early development/ preservation of pathway but I think battery supply still is a major issue with much of Ford’s ICE plans going forward, has been a thorn in their side for the past decade.

O could be wrong on this as major changes are happening in Europe and that could justify hybrid/PHEV/BEV development for T6, think smaller Lightning.fingers crossed 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Hood point but there hasn’t been anything said on Hybrid/PHEV, there was early development/ preservation of pathway but I think battery supply still is a major issue with much of Ford’s ICE plans going forward, has been a thorn in their side for the past decade.

O could be wrong on this as major changes are happening in Europe and that could justify hybrid/PHEV/BEV development for T6, think smaller Lightning.fingers crossed 

What's the point of bringing out new hybrid models when the MY is sold out in a few days? An argument could be made to start building Mavericks with the 1.5L turbo so that someone can actually buy one. Especially if Ford has the capacity to build more ICE engines without hybrid components that are in short supply. 

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

What's the point of bringing out new hybrid models when the MY is sold out in a few days? An argument could be made to start building Mavericks with the 1.5L turbo so that someone can actually buy one. Especially if Ford has the capacity to build more ICE engines without hybrid components that are in short supply. 

I was responding to a what if regarding a Hybrid Everest, as far as I can tell, nothing has been developed yet.