Refreshed Escape/Kuga spy shots

I plan to order a plug in hybrid Escape later this year - does anyone here know if Ford plan to upgrade to Sync 4 in the 2023 model? And does anyone know timing for the changeover to the 2023 model at Louisville? I guess I should write 'planned timing' - I can't help but think that whatever timeline Ford set will probably slide backwards due to the various issues occurring in the industry right now.

16 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression that sync4 wasn’t long for this world and it would be replaced by a google system 

Great call, that is correct. Unfortunately, but at this point, other than announcing "beginning in 2023" there's a distinct lack of details regarding how the transition will take place:  https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/ford-vehicles-to-use-googles-android-operating-system-starting-in-2023/

16 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Come to think of it, that's the Euro model, so no guarantee that our model in the U.S. will have the same upgrades...

I would think Ford is under pressure to do a major refresh on the N.A. Escape, both exterior and interior wise. While Escape is still a volume seller for Ford, it has lost significant ground to its rivals. So it needs to step up, especially against upstart Hyundai/Kia. Ford can't afford not to significantly improve the interior both appearance and material wise. The latest Stealth package with red contrasting stitching shows that Ford is starting to get it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I would think Ford is under pressure to do a major refresh on the N.A. Escape, both exterior and interior wise. While Escape is still a volume seller for Ford, it has lost significant ground to its rivals. So it needs to step up, especially against upstart Hyundai/Kia. Ford can't afford not to significantly improve the interior both appearance and material wise. The latest Stealth package with red contrasting stitching shows that Ford is starting to get it. 

Agreed, let's hope so.

Escape could use a decent upgrade. Compact CUV is the most intensely competitive segment of the new car market - every car company selling in the US has multiple entries in the segment. Ford needs to sprinkle some of that Bronco Sport and Maverick magic on the Escape.

• Like 2

It looks like the revised escape may fall under the same category as the refreshed f-type. Where the original design was more distinct, but slightly awkward looking with the headlight placement. Whereas the refreshed design is more agressive and better looking, but loses some of the character.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, Harley Lover said:

Great call, that is correct. Unfortunately, but at this point, other than announcing "beginning in 2023" there's a distinct lack of details regarding how the transition will take place:  https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/ford-vehicles-to-use-googles-android-operating-system-starting-in-2023/

You guys realize this will only be the operating system.  Sync 4 is the application which could stay exactly the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Thanks, I guess that takes me back to the original question - wonder if Sync 4 will be included in the 2023 model refresh.

I thought sync 4 was only for models with the bigger screens and that the C2 vehicles kept the smaller screens and sync 3.  

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought sync 4 was only for models with the bigger screens and that the C2 vehicles kept the smaller screens and sync 3.  

Recall how the China market Edge was a forerunner to the Edge's interior refresh (including large screen); here's the China market Escape interior: 

burlappcar-2020-ford-escape-1.jpg

Edited by Harley Lover
I'm not suggesting that Ford will definitely add this screen to the Escape refresh; that's why I'm curious if anyone has heard at this point what Ford plan to do.

38 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Farley basically got rid of One Ford so I'm not even sure Kuga (EU/APAC), Escape (CN), and Escape (NA) will continue to be the same model and on the same refresh timeline. 

It seems like the China model is ahead with its features versus the U.S. model. I'm speculating that the 2023 U.S. model refresh will get upgraded to either the Euro model screen or (less likely) the China model screen. Given that Ford gave Edge (a soon to die model) the China interior, it would kind of make sense for Ford to do something similar for Escape (in an important segment) instead of leaving it to die until the EV model comes along.

28 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

It seems like the China model is ahead with its features versus the U.S. model. I'm speculating that the 2023 U.S. model refresh will get upgraded to either the Euro model screen or (less likely) the China model screen. Given that Ford gave Edge (a soon to die model) the China interior, it would kind of make sense for Ford to do something similar for Escape (in an important segment) instead of leaving it to die until the EV model comes along.

Since there is tremendous pressure on all auto companies to increase the size of their infotainment screens, I don't think Ford is going to refresh the Escape and leave the interior alone.

Already, they have changed the design of the doorcards, changed the color of the wood on the Titanium, and added appearance packages that include contrasting red stitching. I think Ford is aware how competitive and important this segment as it seems like the Koreans come out with new CUV every other month. 

And hopefully in next couple years they will be able to produce many more hybrids...maybe up to 50% of total production.