Ford EV Owners Will Officially Receive FREE Tesla Adapter

ice-capades

Ford EV Owners Will Officially Receive FREE Tesla Adapter

https://fordauthority.com/2024/01/ford-ev-owners-will-officially-receive-free-tesla-adapter/

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2024/01/31/ford-to-offer-complimentary-tesla-supercharger-adapter-to-eligib.html

FordAuthority.com_2024-01-31_Mustang Mach-E at Tesla Charger.jpg

Back in May 2023, FoMoCo announced that it had reached a deal with Tesla that will provide Ford EV owners with access to that company’s expansive Supercharger network – effectively expanding its available infrastructure in one fell swoop. The Blue Oval also announced that owners of the Ford F-150 Lightning and Ford Mustang Mach-E would be receiving an adapter designed to enable those models – which come equipped with Combined Charging System (CCS) plugs – to utilize Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) chargers, too. However, the automaker didn’t provide any details about when that might happen or how much this adapter might cost, though now, we know that it will in fact be free, according to CEO Jim Farley.

It’s still unclear when Ford EV owners will receive this complimentary adapter, with Farley only saying that the part will ship out “soon” ahead of the start of Supercharger access, which is slated to open up this spring. Regardless, this is big news for those owners, given the fact that the Tesla Supercharger network is currently the largest and most reliable of its kind and the highest-ranked of the bunch, giving them more than 12,000 additional U.S.-based chargers to choose from when embarking on road trips, plus the existing 10,000 charger BlueOval Charging Network. It will also provide a more seamless experience, since users will be able to pay via the FordPass app rather than having to download the Tesla app to accomplish that task.

FordAuthority.com_2024-01-31_Tesla Adapter.jpg

As Ford Authority previously reported, second-generation Ford EV models due to arrive starting in 2025 will come equipped with NACS ports from the factory, meaning that no adapter will be required to charge them at a Supercharger. Regardless, SAE International is working to standardize NACS, and since Ford’s decision to go that route, essentially every other automaker has followed suit.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

17 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

As Ford Authority previously reported, second-generation Ford EV models due to arrive starting in 2025 will come equipped with NACS ports from the factory, meaning that no adapter will be required to charge them at a Supercharger. Regardless, SAE International is working to standardize NACS, and since Ford’s decision to go that route, essentially every other automaker has followed suit.

So the 2025 Lightning, Transit EV and Mach E won't have NACS ports standard and will still have to use an adaptor?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

So the 2025 Lightning, Transit EV and Mach E won't have NACS ports standard and will still have to use an adaptor?

Yes, this looks like a “get through” until the charging port is changed on the MY26.

Probably takes that much time to change locked in supply and complete the wiring changes

as well as timed with new GE2 BEVs at Oakville having the same NACS port as well…

Ford likes to bundle its changes so this shouldn’t be a surprise.

No mention of Ford going to 48 Volt system yet, probably trail Tesla by a couple of years

I’m lead to believe that 48V is the future and saves a fair bit in wiring cost.

Edited by jpd80

Details About Complimentary Ford EV Tesla Adapter Revealed

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/details-about-complimentary-ford-ev-tesla-adapter-revealed/

FordAuthority.com_2024-01-31_Tesla Adapter.jpg

Back in May 2023, FoMoCo announced that it had reached a deal with Tesla that will provide Ford EV owners with access to that company’s expansive Supercharger network – effectively expanding its available infrastructure significantly in a short time. The Blue Oval also announced that owners of the Ford F-150 Lightning and Ford Mustang Mach-E would be receiving an adapter designed to enable those models – which come equipped with Combined Charging System (CCS) plugs – to utilize Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) chargers, too. Yesterday, CEO Jim Farley revealed that this Ford EV Tesla adapter would be sent free of charge to F-150 Lightning and Mach-E customers soon, and now, he has shed a little more light on that same part.

According to Farley, Ford EV Tesla adapter eligibility for existing Mach-E and F-150 Lightning customers will be determined by VIN, with each of those customers receiving one adapter. Those customers will apparently secure their adapter via a reservation process, though the part will be free – Ford is even covering shipping costs – though other details, including how this process will work, the tech specs of the adapter, and when it will begin shipping haven’t yet been revealed. Currently, Ford EV owners are expected to gain access to the Supercharger network this coming spring.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

And as of today they get the 7500 tax credit and in my state an additional 3500.tax credit on the model Y.   The model Y was the best selling car world wide and the fifth in the US.  Around me there are 5 Super Charger sites within 5 miles of my house. While the NACS adaptor and eventual conversion to NACS will help, closing the cost gap and the source of the battery materials will be more important .  The funny thing is that after the the tax credit and trade in, my out of pocket for the Maverick and the Model 3 were the same.  I was considering the LR MME but the out of pocket  difference was deciding factor.  With home charging the need for the super charger network is a nice to have for long trips.  In the three months I have had my Tesla, I have used a Super Charger twice. I will use it more this summer when we go to Maine for the Weekend but will perform most of the charging in my garage 

3 hours ago, pictor said:

And as of today they get the 7500 tax credit and in my state an additional 3500.tax credit on the model Y.   The model Y was the best selling car world wide and the fifth in the US.  Around me there are 5 Super Charger sites within 5 miles of my house. While the NACS adaptor and eventual conversion to NACS will help, closing the cost gap and the source of the battery materials will be more important .  The funny thing is that after the the tax credit and trade in, my out of pocket for the Maverick and the Model 3 were the same.  I was considering the LR MME but the out of pocket  difference was deciding factor.  With home charging the need for the super charger network is a nice to have for long trips.  In the three months I have had my Tesla, I have used a Super Charger twice. I will use it more this summer when we go to Maine for the Weekend but will perform most of the charging in my garage 

You need to update the fleet details in your signature!