2025 Explorer Cheaper Than Outgoing Model in Some Cases

2025 Explorer Cheaper Than Outgoing Model in Some Cases

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/2025-ford-explorer-cheaper-than-outgoing-model-in-some-cases/

FordAuthority.com_2024-02-02_2025 Explorer.jpg

Following a bit of a delay, the refreshed 2025 Ford Explorer was just revealed yesterday, ushering in updated exterior and interior styling for the popular crossover, along with a handful of new tech features – most notably, the new Ford Digital Experience software, which was developed in conjunction with Google. Now, pricing for the 2025 Ford Explorer is out, and interestingly, the revised version of the crossover is actually less expensive than the outgoing 2024 model in certain cases.

FordAuthority.com_2024-02-02_2025 vs. 2024 Explorer Pricing.jpg

For starters, the new entry-level Active – formerly known as the XLT – is a bit more expensive than its predecessor, but it’s worth noting that it also has more standard equipment that was previously optional, including adaptive cruise control, the new infotainment system, and the Trailer Tow Package. The ST-Line, however, is quite a bit cheaper than the 2024 model, but this is due to the fact that some previously standard features are now part of the optional Premium Package.

That particular package consists of the center floor console-mounted AC power outlet, ambient lighting, the auto-dimming rearview mirror, power-folding side mirrors with heated glass and LED turn signals, rain-sensing wipers, a memory driver’s seat, multi-contour front, second-row heated seats, a power-folding third-row seat, second-row sunblinds, a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, and a wireless charging pad. Taking all this into account, the two models are essentially priced the same – $48,695 versus $48,720.

As for the high-performance ST, it’s a whopping $5,100 more expensive than the 2024 model, but again, this is because of some equipment changes. The 2025 Ford Explorer ST comes standard with the ST High Package, which was previously optional, and when we factor that in, it’s actually a bit cheaper – $56,800 versus $58,235. Finally, we have the Platinum, which is $3,245 cheaper than its predecessor, but in this case, that’s because the 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost is now the standard engine choice, while the 3.0L V6 EcoBoost has become optional – though it’s worth noting that even when opting for the 3.0, this combination is still less expensive.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

Ford deserves a lot of credit here. With our currently automotive landscape being all doom and gloom about cars becoming unobtainable, Ford's managing to bring their prices down on several of their iconic products while vastly improving them. Bravo to the team who worked on this. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a video about the comparison of a 25' Active and a 24' Edge SEL. Adding the Active Comfort Package make it a close match to a Titanium. I like how Ford has bridged the gap and offered customers a very close alternative to a "25' Edge".

Wonder why they decided to name that trim level "Active."  That just seems like a stupid name to me, especially since XLT is such a well known trim level that has always had similar content levels across models.

Then you still have an "ST-Line" and an "ST?"  C'mon....that's just marketing getting too cute.   Those are too similar.....

That being said, bringing down prices was a must with this model.  It was over-priced to begin with and they had to issue large incentives so sell the volume needed, so these price adjustments help bring the MSRP closer to the real transaction prices.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vols44 said:

I watched a video about the comparison of a 25' Active and a 24' Edge SEL. Adding the Active Comfort Package make it a close match to a Titanium. I like how Ford has bridged the gap and offered customers a very close alternative to a "25' Edge".

Huh?  I've been trying to convince my wife to get a '24 Edge before they're gone, when I build a similar '25 Explorer Active it's $6K more at MSRP.

Maybe share the video link that show's me what I'm missing?

HRG

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Huh?  I've been trying to convince my wife to get a '24 Edge before they're gone, when I build a similar '25 Explorer Active it's $6K more at MSRP.

Maybe share the video link that show's me what I'm missing?

HRG

A 24' Edge SEL is $39,665. A 25' Explorer Active is $39,625. A 24' Edge Titanium is $43,820. A 25' Explorer with the Active Comfort package is $42,705.

59 minutes ago, Vols44 said:

A 24' Edge SEL is $39,665. A 25' Explorer Active is $39,625. A 24' Edge Titanium is $43,820. A 25' Explorer with the Active Comfort package is $42,705.

Except a 2024 Edge SEL is AWD, so a 2025 Explorer Active with AWD and Active Comfort is $47,695.  Let's compare apples to apples.

HRG

17 hours ago, iamweasel said:

Wonder why they decided to name that trim level "Active."  That just seems like a stupid name to me, especially since XLT is such a well known trim level that has always had similar content levels across models.

Then you still have an "ST-Line" and an "ST?"  C'mon....that's just marketing getting too cute.   Those are too similar.....

XLT is most likely just going to be used on truck products and Active for CUV products

ST-lIne is just the look of an ST, not the performance that the ST name has. 

52 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

XLT is most likely just going to be used on truck products and Active for CUV products

Agree on your XLT opinion. As for the ST vs. ST-Line, I think it's confusing for customers and possibly deceptive in many regards. 

ST-Line was a European thing.   I thought it would cause mass confusion but not the case with Edge buyers at least.  The ones who want a ST know the difference and the ones who don’t want the ST don’t care.  They just like the style.

Active may have also come from Europe.  It does sound better than Base or S.  

On 2/19/2024 at 10:49 AM, silvrsvt said:

I know what they are, I just contend that "Active" is a stupid name for a trim level and having two "ST" anythings as trims on the same model is also a bad idea.  

On 2/19/2024 at 10:53 AM, akirby said:

Active may have also come from Europe.  It does sound better than Base or S.  

1 hour ago, iamweasel said:

I know what they are, I just contend that "Active" is a stupid name for a trim level and having two "ST" anythings as trims on the same model is also a bad idea.  

Yes, I agree Active is better than base or S, but I think it’s a bad name, because to me it suggests it’s some kind of off-road variant when it is not.  It doesn’t lend itself to the basic vehicle.  I’ve also never been a fan of ST Line.  I think it dilutes the ST variant, when they could have used Sport to represent the similar look. 

9 hours ago, tbone said:

Yes, I agree Active is better than base or S, but I think it’s a bad name, because to me it suggests it’s some kind of off-road variant when it is not.  It doesn’t lend itself to the basic vehicle.  I’ve also never been a fan of ST Line.  I think it dilutes the ST variant, when they could have used Sport to represent the similar look. 

To be clear I’m not a fan of either one but there was some history behind the names and consumers don’t seem to have an issue with them.

• Like 1

So we lost the Limited and the Sport Package on the XLT, and the off road version is missing in action for the start of this minor 2025 revision!

New people, new ideas I guess.

I was hoping for the new 2.3 with dual fuel system and the smaller bore with a longer stroke but that did not happen either.

I had to turn in a 2021 Explorer XLT last December and ended up leasing an existing 2023 Explorer ST-Line .

The ST-Line is a significant improvement over the 2021 XLT.

Looks like the engineers revised the 2.3 calibration and the ten speed automatic calibration to a point that I have no reason to complain about shift quality or NVH!

It would of been nice to have the steering column with upshift/downshift buttons but that was eliminated in my 2023 with the tow package!

The 2025 forced you into 21” wheels if you also want bench seats in the second row. That is not a good idea!

Edselford

It’s also not good that the build and price is still not showing a black wheel option on the ST.  The fact that there remains one wheel option since the announcement of the new model worries me this may be the only option.  Major oversight IMO, if that is the case, especially since those wheels look like base model wheels.  There’s still a disclaimer on the images so we will see.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was considering getting a 2024 Edge ST to replace my 2021 Edge ST, but I may go to the 2025 Explorer ST after seeing the Order Guide, Ford's build and price, and some of the reviews on YouTube.

I too, think Ford did pretty well on improving this model, and happy to see it!