Unifor Kept in Dark After Ford EV Production Delay Reports

ice-capades

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Efficient EV manufacturing requires different assembly processes.  That was the whole point of gutting and remodeling OAC.

I think Stellantis is doing that at their Windsor plant. But the STLA platform can handle ICE, Hybrid and BEV vehicles.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

I seriously doubt they’ve done much tooling yet for OAC.  I guess it’s possible they wait and do the new EVs in OAC but Cuatitlan seems to make more sense especially given the low price point, but that depends on what they decide to do with the other plants.

You don't think Ford has already spent the money for tooling? Given how the past couple of years have gone with getting anything, I'd assume that they have or already committed to getting tooling that will be showing up now or with in the next 6-12 months for the rebuild. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

You don't think Ford has already spent the money for tooling? Given how the past couple of years have gone with getting anything, I'd assume that they have or already committed to getting tooling that will be showing up now or with in the next 6-12 months for the rebuild. 

They set up a small u759 training area in bodybuild in the training area. They probably have all the tooling ready. I believe the batteries are the hold up.

The fact that Ford isn’t denying this rumour hints at the possibility that changes are being considered.

Sure, the demo work will probably continue but I wonder if Ford is planning to hedge its bets and develop

the new OAC as a multi vehicle plant - continue the 3-row BEV even if delayed but revive the canned

CD4 Edge/ Nautilus evolution with modified floor pan to  accept hybrid batteries….less changes than C2?

(was this part of the previous plan before the BEVs were transferred to OAC?)

^^^^^^^ Oakville guys, see if you can find out anything through UNIFOR regarding the plans 

before for reassigned the BEVs to Oakville, just a hunch but I think the plan was evolved CD4s.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The fact that Ford isn’t denying this rumour hints at the possibility that changes are being considered.

Sure, the demo work will probably continue but I wonder if Ford is planning to hedge its bets and develop

the new OAC as a multi vehicle plant - continue the 3-row BEV even if delayed but revive the canned

CD4 Edge/ Nautilus evolution with modified floor pan to  accept hybrid batteries….less changes than C2?

^^^^^^^ Oakville guys, see if you can find out anything through UNIFOR regarding the plans 

before for reassigned the BEVs to Oakville, just a hunch but I think the plan was evolved CD4s.

CD4 is a dead man walking. Any future development would move to C2.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 8:25 AM, silvrsvt said:

I think stamping dies are done at the very end which would be late this year or early next year.  But I’m just guessing.

10 hours ago, twintornados said:

CD4 is a dead man walking. Any future development would move to C2.

The platforms are all very close cousins and agree with what you’re saying,

C2s are generally a lot lighter (300-400 lbs). The biggest tell will be

continuing the demolition pointing to a big change, not keeping the old.

If that changes, you know something is up…

As I’ve said before, if you don’t like the current Ford plan, just wait a few months…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Unifor is trying to get information from Ford. I went the union meeting prior to this 3 row news of a potential delay broke out and the union said there is an extreme lack of information from this company. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Unifor is trying to get information from Ford. I went the union meeting prior to this 3 row news of a potential delay broke out and the union said there is an extreme lack of information from this company. 

Because they haven’t made a decision yet.  There is no easy answer here so the decision isn’t obvious.  Even if they want to continue the current Edge they have to negotiate that with dozens of suppliers.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because they haven’t made a decision yet.  There is no easy answer here so the decision isn’t obvious.  Even if they want to continue the current Edge they have to negotiate that with dozens of suppliers.

I agree, it’s just very frustrating to be honest. You’re not one bit wrong here. I just vent and rant because I really want to know what’s going on.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I agree, it’s just very frustrating to be honest. You’re not one bit wrong here. I just vent and rant because I really want to know what’s going on.  

I understand your frustration.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I can only imagine all the what ifs and scenarios being run behind the scenes,

just seeing if restarting Edge is even possible without too many “penalties”.

and that’s before we ever consider possibilities with the BEV equation…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 3:47 AM, jpd80 said:

I can only imagine all the what ifs and scenarios being run behind the scenes,

just seeing if restarting Edge is even possible without too many “penalties”.

and that’s before we ever consider possibilities with the BEV equation…

Just letting you know Oakville Assembly will be down til 2027 

19 hours ago, Oac98 said:

Guess ol’ Borg was right after all

Aww man, I feel so much for you guys at Oakville…….

Honestly, I’m now waiting for the other shoe to drop with regards to Blue Oval Center……

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Aww man, I feel so much for you guys at Oakville…….

Honestly, I’m now waiting for the other shoe to drop with regards to Blue Oval Center……

Blueovalcity product launch is 2026, as for us at Oakville there ain’t a damn thing we can do but go into contingency mode.

5 hours ago, Oac98 said:

Blueovalcity product launch is 2026, as for us at Oakville there ain’t a damn thing we can do but go into contingency mode.

I don't see much happening to BOC outside of maybe a delay or two with product. I think Ford winding down the Lightning production is telling also, since I don't expect the Lightning to stick around once the new EV truck is in production. 

Also I see other plants maybe getting shut down in NA (like Flat Rock) later this decade with the product going to BOC as the EV transition goes on. 

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't see much happening to BOC outside of maybe a delay or two with product. I think Ford winding down the Lightning production is telling also, since I don't expect the Lightning to stick around once the new EV truck is in production. 

Also I see other plants maybe getting shut down in NA (like Flat Rock) later this decade with the product going to BOC as the EV transition goes on. 

With Ford building new plants for BEV vehicle production such as Blue Oval City, at some point Ford is going to find itself with excess production capacity. With BEV production plans being delayed, it'll be years probably before Ford can identify and commit to future production commitments at existing plants. Why Ford includes plant production commitments as part of its UAW contract is beyond me. 

The Flat Rock Assembly Plant has been the subject of speculation for years including the plant limitations regarding vehicle height. It's been the home for Mustang production for years, and for Fusion and Continental for limited years, but its history is focused on Mustang production. Potential plans to remodel Flat Rock will have to consider Mustang production interruptions unless Mustang production is moved to another facility which is doubtful.      

• Like 1