Next Gen Ford F-150 EV Will Be Built at Wholly Owned Plant

Next Gen Ford F-150 EV Will Be Built at Wholly Owned Plant

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/next-gen-ford-f-150-ev-will-be-built-at-wholly-owned-plant/

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-09_2024 F-150 Lightning_Front Quarter.jpg

We’ve known for some time now that the next-generation Ford F-150 EV – which may not continue to use the Lightning name – will be built at the under-construction BlueOval City complex in Tennessee. There, the automaker is currently planning on operating just one production plant for now – rather than two as originally expected – though it’s also teaming up with South Korean battery maker SK On to operate a joint-venture EV battery plant nearby as well. However, the next-generation Ford F-150 EV will be built at a wholly owned FoMoCo plant – not a joint-venture facility, Ford Authority has learned.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-09_Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center_Construction.jpg

That facility will officially be called the Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center, as the automaker just revealed for the very first time. After hearing that news, Ford Authority reached out to Ford for clarification on this particular topic, and the automaker indeed confirmed that the Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center is in fact 100 percent owned and operated by The Blue Oval, and is not part of the joint venture. FoMoCo also confirmed that this facility will be used to build all-electric trucks in the future. It is worth noting that the next-gen Ford F-150 EV may also be built at the Dearborn Truck plant and Rogue Electric Vehicle Center, as Ford Authority previously reported.

As part of its recent decision to push back some planned EV investments and focus on smaller, cheaper models – as well as offer a hybrid powertrain across the entire Ford Blue lineup by 2030 – production of the next-generation Ford F-150 EV and Ford Explorer EV for North America were recently delayed as well. This means that the new EV pickup won’t enter production at the Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center in 2025 as originally planned, but now, that process is slated to begin in 2026, while the Explorer EV will enter production in 2027 rather than 2025.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-09_2024 F-150 Lightning_Rear Quarter.jpg

Nicknamed “Project T3” (for “Trust the Truck”), this next-generation EV pickup will reportedly benefit from the automaker’s under-development low-cost EV platform. Ford CEO Jim Farley previously described its styling as something like the Millennium Falcon from the Star Wars franchise “with a porch attached,” and also added that it will be a superior offering compared to the Tesla Cybertruck.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t think there was ever any plan for a JV for the factory itself.  Just the battery plant.  Unless I missed something.

That was my understanding also, that the only joint ventures were for the battery plants. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think there was ever any plan for a JV for the factory itself.  Just the battery plant.  Unless I missed something.

19 hours ago, ice-capades said:

That was my understanding also, that the only joint ventures were for the battery plants. 

That's Ford Authority for you. They can turn into breaking news the fact that every new Ford design will have the windshield in front of the driver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

That's Ford Authority for you. They can turn into breaking news the fact that every new Ford design will have the windshield in front of the driver.

Every time I see a Fordauthority article I just assume it’s clickbait with no new information.  

20 hours ago, ice-capades said:

"Ford CEO Jim Farley previously described its styling as something like the Millennium Falcon from the Star Wars franchise “with a porch attached,” and also added that it will be a superior offering compared to the Tesla Cybertruck."

Exclusive drone shot of the prototype T3 testing over the Product Development Center in Dearborn, MI.

It should be noted that the Tesla Cybertruck does not have a porch.

Untitled 12.jpg

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Exclusive drone shot of the prototype T3 testing over the Product Development Center in Dearborn, MI.

It should be noted that the Tesla Cybertruck does not have a porch.

Untitled 12.jpg

I am thinking a huge light bar across the back like the Millennium Falcons engines lol  My friend used to say the back of my MKZ reminded him of the Millennium Falcon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew L said:

I am thinking a huge light bar across the back like the Millennium Falcons engines lol  My friend used to say the back of my MKZ reminded him of the Millennium Falcon

My brother in law and former sister in law used to own a Nissan Quest that was called Millennium Falcon

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Every time I see a Fordauthority article I just assume it’s clickbait with no new information.  

No question that FordAuthority.com often generates posts that are clickbait. At the same time, they do post news that appears newsworthy and posted before other online sources. Back in the 70's, obviously long before the Internet, we relied on the print publications such as Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Road & Track for information. Back in the day, I found that Motor Trend provided the best information on the Big 3. Now I often wonder if any of the classic publications are still around as you rarely see them in the media.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

....Back in the 70's, obviously long before the Internet, we relied on the print publications such as Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Road & Track for information. Back in the day, I found that Motor Trend provided the best information on the Big 3. Now I often wonder if any of the classic publications are still around as you rarely see them in the media.   

They have websites, and I still see hard copies in the newstand of our local market.  There was a time when I subscribed to all three of them.  I haven't looked at a copy of any in years.

10 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

They have websites, and I still see hard copies in the newstand of our local market.  There was a time when I subscribed to all three of them.  I haven't looked at a copy of any in years.

Ditto.  They were all biased one way or another but they were usually entertaining and a great source of info.  I think Edmunds.com started the online trend or at least made it mainstream.  I still remember arguing with the editor in chief at Edmunds who said Ford can’t make up their mind about displacement because the Lincoln LS was 3.9L and the Jag was 4.0L.  So I explained that they shortened the stroke on the Lincoln version which lowered the displacement.  He said that made no sense, which is like saying you don’t understand why a tall glass holds more water than a short glass of the same diameter.  He also complained about the tranny shifting after going to the dealer knowing there was a TSB to fix that problem but not mentioning that to the service writer.

The way Ford is back pedalling with Lightning production at its present facility,

going forward with a new, big ass BEV  plant  mightn’t be the smartest idea.

but if that’s the hill Ford wants to die on, then so be it…

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The way Ford is back pedalling with Lightning production at its present facility,

going forward with a new, big ass BEV  plant  mightn’t be the smartest idea.

but if that’s the hill Ford wants to die on, then so be it…

The only problem with Lightning is price.  T3 is the one BEV that Ford should be all in on right now given their leadership in the truck market.  And building a new plant is the right way to do i pt instead of cancelling more existing products and getting caught with your pants down.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

The only problem with Lightning is price.  T3 is the one BEV that Ford should be all in on right now given their leadership in the truck market.  And building a new plant is the right way to do i pt instead of cancelling more existing products and getting caught with your pants down.

Ford spent $700 million to build the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, it’s now back to one shift

so Ford is barely using one third of the capacity…….Not sure what is supposed to happen

to this facility once T3 takes over in a few years but it’s clear that Ford is counting on a

huge change in future demand….

5f63c1c757b7da001ee12581?width=1300&form

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford spent $700 million to build the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, it’s now back to one shift

so Ford is barely using one third of the capacity…….Not sure what is supposed to happen

to this facility once T3 takes over in a few years but it’s clear that Ford is counting on a

huge change in future demand….

5f63c1c757b7da001ee12581?width=1300&form

More then likely another plant will be consolidated here with its product down the road. I'm also guessing that EV versions of ICE products like the Bronco will move here next decade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

More then likely another plant will be consolidated here with its product down the road. I'm also guessing that EV versions of ICE products like the Bronco will move here next decade

1 hour ago, akirby said:

That capacity can easily be reused.

Interesting……market is sluggish at the moment but won’t always be like that….

Wonder if the capacity could be used for more Super Duty Trucks, I’m probably not thinking the right way…