Ford Mustang 4 door sport sedan. Is happening

14 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

As a Mustang owner, I would have no problem with a 4 door sedan Mustang, and I would probably prefer that now. If they do call it something else, the only names that would have any value are Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie or Taurus. I'd use Fairlane if they choose not to use mustang for it, as that's what they were planning in the early 2000's for a RWD sedan before the plug was pulled and the Ford 500 was developed instead.

Taurus I'd save for a possible Mach E replacement if they choose not to use the Mustang name on that again. I also have no problem with them calling it the Mustang Mach E either, bit it is a shame to throw away the Taurus name as well.

A RWD based Taurus would be a huge departure from being FWD based it's whole existence lol.  Not that I am against it just would be pretty wild to see a RWD Taurus when the move to FWD saved Ford in the 80s.

23 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

A RWD based Taurus would be a huge departure from being FWD based it's whole existence lol.  Not that I am against it just would be pretty wild to see a RWD Taurus when the move to FWD saved Ford in the 80s.

I just don’t understand why it’s so difficult to extend the S650 wheelbase and modify the roof.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just don’t understand why it’s so difficult to extend the S650 wheelbase and modify the roof.

I remember, and you might too akirby, when the LS ended a lot of forums at the time were saying it was cause DEW98 was too expensive and why not move the LS to the Mustang platform and extend it.  Guys were saying it was impossible for some arbitrary reason and that D2C could not be stretched.  To me it made absolutly no sense.  I absolutely think they can stretch S650 I guess it's a matter of cost.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

As a Mustang owner, I would have no problem with a 4 door sedan Mustang, and I would probably prefer that now. If they do call it something else, the only names that would have any value are Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie or Taurus. I'd use Fairlane if they choose not to use mustang for it, as that's what they were planning in the early 2000's for a RWD sedan before the plug was pulled and the Ford 500 was developed instead.

Taurus I'd save for a possible Mach E replacement if they choose not to use the Mustang name on that again. I also have no problem with them calling it the Mustang Mach E either, bit it is a shame to throw away the Taurus name as well.

Fairlane sounds old and boring to me.  I'd advocate Falcon if they're not using the Mustang name.

14 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I agree it usually seems like some baseless internet rumors. But this is coming directly from Farley himself.

Except he's not saying "we're doing it, you'll see it in 2 years".  He said they "could" do it....and I take it to mean an "if they wanted to" type statement.  Not that it's for sure happening.

22 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Except he's not saying "we're doing it, you'll see it in 2 years".  He said they "could" do it....and I take it to mean an "if they wanted to" type statement.  Not that it's for sure happening.

I'll believe it when we see it! They had the opportunity to do a Mustang 4-door years ago after the Porsche Panamera was introduced. This thread is all countless speculation.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I'll believe it when we see it! They had the opportunity to do a Mustang 4-door years ago after the Porsche Panamera was introduced. This thread is all countless speculation.  

As I said earlier, this RWD idea makes a comeback every couple of years but 

there’s zero commitment from Ford. People playing on the ever hopeful..

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

As I said earlier, this RWD idea makes a comeback every couple of years but 

there’s zero commitment from Ford. People playing on the ever hopeful..

It almost felt like Ford was getting committed with CD6 but that stalled really hard after the Explorer/Aviator launch and also the slow death of the sedan.

18 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

It almost felt like Ford was getting committed with CD6 but that stalled really hard after the Explorer/Aviator launch and also the slow death of the sedan.

I think Fields was the RWD advocate and the CD6 "mega lineup" died when he was canned.

30 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

It didn't help that they kept going back and forth with it either. The D3 Explorer was extended out with another refresh late.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

They had the opportunity back in 2003 with dew98 and again with CD6 but things got in the way.  Having excess capacity at FlatRock and wanting to make Mustang a sub brand plus the opportunity to do hybrids might make it happen this time.  I emphasize might.  Could also make a case for Mondeo and Zephyr at FR.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2024 at 9:09 AM, akirby said:

Probably because S650 is pretty much its own thing. Had it been an actual extension of CD6 like we all thought it would be it would probably be a lot easier.

Speaking of CD6, I wonder how far along the rumored CD6 Fusion got. Not that I expect it to be revived, I’m just curious. 

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

They had the opportunity back in 2003 with dew98 and again with CD6 but things got in the way.  Having excess capacity at FlatRock and wanting to make Mustang a sub brand plus the opportunity to do hybrids might make it happen this time.  I emphasize might.  Could also make a case for Mondeo and Zephyr at FR.

Production wise, I feel like Mondeo (fusion) and Zephyr make the most sense, as the work is already done, minus "North Americanizing" them.  But I'm sure they project higher prices/margins on a Mustang sedan.

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Probably because S650 is pretty much its own thing. Had it been an actual extension of CD6 like we all thought it would be it would probably be a lot easier.

Speaking of CD6, I wonder how far along the rumored CD6 Fusion got. Not that I expect it to be revived, I’m just curious. 

It'd have been interesting to have seen all the CD6 stuff they were working on.

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

My LS and my current MKZ 3.0 have been the best sedans I've owned.  I hope they do consider a new Zephyr, I have no idea what I will replace my Z with when the time comes.  Thankfully that won't be for a long time.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wait, there was a CD6 fusion?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford basically was copying GM and reinvented the wheel with CD6 at great expense and that’s why anything beyond Explorer/Navigator was harder to justify… although the CD6 Edge/Aviator replacement made it all the way to prototypes seen driving with camouflage stripes. 

Had Mulally embraced the global RWD idea with the Aussie Falcon/Territory thrown into the pot, the economics may have sufficient to justify a full product cycle but in 2008, he was more interested in saving money and making full use of the vehicles that Ford already had in North America.

I think time was up for RWD cars as their volume began to waste away in the twenty teens, even FWD/AWD cars eventually gave way to utilities and Ford just saw it as too easy to follow that path with existing FWDs and just evolve Mustang as required.

Edited by jpd80