Edge vs Murano

kyle

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone had a nice evening....seemed a little tense here yesterday.

We all seem to view things differently-food-woman (hopefully most of you like them!)-politics and cars.

I think the edge is ford's biggest launch unti the 150 is redone in 2 years. Their main competition is the murano-mostly agree?

Thought it would be kind of fun to do our own review of the murano and compare opinions. Maybe someone (myself included) can devise a spreadsheet with detail list of vehicle attibutes. We descend upon the local dealership and go over a competitor's vehicle and do the same with the edge.

I am thinking only of things that we can review without driving the vehicle.

Body

gaps-finish-molding-trim-design, etc.

Interior

design, controls placement-radio features-cupholders-window switches-glove box-etc.

Engine

struts or rod for hood-all fluid area's marked and accessible-engine design-battery displayed or easy to jump start-light inside the compartment, etc.

And I am thinking a very thorough review down to the owner's manual (does it have a seperate service folder-how to change your own oil-bulbs, etc. How easy is it to find the tire pressure-((never where you think it would be!)). Get a brochure-how is the content-are they selling a lifestyle or presenting the vehicle on it's own merit-etc.

What do you guys think? Maybe in 2-3 weeks we can review the edge with the same info as well. Then maybe in a month or two we do a comparison with the 150 (not the new guy on the block so valid when comparing the murano) vs the chevy silverado.

Maybe we put a number (1-5) and add up points on the vehicle.

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone had a nice evening....seemed a little tense here yesterday.

We all seem to view things differently-food-woman (hopefully most of you like them!)-politics and cars.

I think the edge is ford's biggest launch unti the 150 is redone in 2 years. Their main competition is the murano-mostly agree?

Thought it would be kind of fun to do our own review of the murano and compare opinions. Maybe someone (myself included) can devise a spreadsheet with detail list of vehicle attibutes. We descend upon the local dealership and go over a competitor's vehicle and do the same with the edge.

I am thinking only of things that we can review without driving the vehicle.

Body

gaps-finish-molding-trim-design, etc.

Interior

design, controls placement-radio features-cupholders-window switches-glove box-etc.

Engine

struts or rod for hood-all fluid area's marked and accessible-engine design-battery displayed or easy to jump start-light inside the compartment, etc.

And I am thinking a very thorough review down to the owner's manual (does it have a seperate service folder-how to change your own oil-bulbs, etc. How easy is it to find the tire pressure-((never where you think it would be!)). Get a brochure-how is the content-are they selling a lifestyle or presenting the vehicle on it's own merit-etc.

What do you guys think? Maybe in 2-3 weeks we can review the edge with the same info as well. Then maybe in a month or two we do a comparison with the 150 (not the new guy on the block so valid when comparing the murano) vs the chevy silverado.

Maybe we put a number (1-5) and add up points on the vehicle.

It is pretty amazing that going on after 4 years the Murano still looks fresh and new, trully has staying power. If we were judging I would pick the Edge but either one are excellent vehicles. The Murano has a very cheap looking intrument cluster but the center console is above the Edges. The main with the Edges center console is the Corpoorate radio(But it is one of the last new vehicles from ford to sport the radio) and the fake alumin around it looks cheap and hard. So one Interiors I would rate them the same since both are nice but each has an area of improving. Exterior styling I would rate them the same also, I like the Edge more but the Murano did come out 4 years ago and still looks fresh. Engine, aren't they closely the same on power? Does the Murano have faster acceleration? I am not sure but I would guess they are pretty similar, the main benefit of the edge is it is thousands cheaper than the Murano for a vehicle As good if not better, and it will hold its value better at 51% for 3 years so that is what pushes the edge into first place for me.

On a side note, why isn't ford moving to a gated shifter for the automatics? Is it even better anyways? I se them on alot of foriegn cars now.

So you haven't actually been in one?

No, and I don't recall saying I have and I specifically stated "looks" because I don't know, I said fake aluminum above because that is what some publications were saying. I can clearly see what you are trying to accomplish and you would be 100% wrong to go there. Of course it would only serve your point to ignore in dozens of posts my praise of the edge and focus on one negative thing I said to call me a troll.........

Edited by DCK

Finally...someone besides myself comparing the Edge to its most obvious competitor! Everyone else compares it to 3-row crossovers for some dumb reason!

Stupid people, especially you Zanat.....the Edge won't sell well because the (inser large BOF SUV here) is bigger and has a V-8.

That is the problem.

What is the size of the market for the Murano/Edge? The Murano is not a high volume seller.

Edited by Bluecon

That is the problem.

What is the size of the market for the Murano/Edge? The Murano is not a high volume seller.

I am not certain of the market size but if I recall I remember some industry (ford executives) personnel predicting that it will be 1 million units in the next 3 years.....even larger than the midsize suv segment and by far one of the fastest growing.

The murano does not have huge numbers probably due to it still looks a little space age for many. I think the edge is progressive enough in it's styling to appeal to not only the conserative buyer (usually in mid america market that the domestics dominate due to local dealer's in every small town) but also someone who does not want another "me too" vehicle.

I am not certain of the market size but if I recall I remember some industry (ford executives) personnel predicting that it will be 1 million units in the next 3 years.....even larger than the midsize suv segment and by far one of the fastest growing.

The murano does not have huge numbers probably due to it still looks a little space age for many. I think the edge is progressive enough in it's styling to appeal to not only the conserative buyer (usually in mid america market that the domestics dominate due to local dealer's in every small town) but also someone who does not want another "me too" vehicle.

You're right about the Murano styling.

The Edge is receiving very good reviews.

However I still think there is to much competition in the class to get high sales numbers.

If they do it will be at the expense of the Explorer and Escape, which is still better than losing the customer.

You're right about the Murano styling.

The Edge is receiving very good reviews.

However I still think there is to much competition in the class to get high sales numbers.

If they do it will be at the expense of the Explorer and Escape, which is still better than losing the customer.

But they don't need huge sales numbers to make a profit. 100K-150K a year should be a piece of cake. Anything beyond that is gravy. And keeping Ford customers driving Fords is a huge improvement. Most people who will buy these would probably be buying another brand if they weren't available.

Stupid people, especially you Zanat.....the Edge won't sell well because the (inser large BOF SUV here) is bigger and has a V-8.

Not everyone needs or wants a bigger SUV with a V-8. My '88 Bronco II, '91,'96 and '98 Explorers all V-6's served me very well until I married into 3 pre-teen children. Only then did I feel the need to move up to an Explorer with three row seating. It was necessary to keep the youngest from being from being beaten by his brothers. I got along quite well with seating for 5 for over a decade.

The Edge offers a real choice for many who don't want an SUV styled vehicle. If the pricing, performance and quality are as advertised, Ford will have a winner. The Escape and Explorer are different enough in size, price and packaging to appeal to a different buyer than the Edge. Nissan still makes the Pathfinder along side the Murano for just that reason.

That is the problem.

The return question: when most vehicles are occupied by 1-2 people, mightn't the Edge (and the Murano, for that matter) make a lot of sense? Bigger isn't better when gas prices are potentially able to break 3 bucks again.

Guys...Michael was being SARCASTIC!

The return question: when most vehicles are occupied by 1-2 people, mightn't the Edge (and the Murano, for that matter) make a lot of sense? Bigger isn't better when gas prices are potentially able to break 3 bucks again.

Guys...Michael was being SARCASTIC!

Yeah, I said that once before.

IM KIDDIN

Anyhow the Escape came in late, and look at what it has been able to achieve.

So you haven't actually been in one?

People who have been in one haven't been impressed by the quality of the interior Vs. competitors.

And yes that includes the horrible looking "real aluminum" style they used.

Stack.jpg

Who cares if its real aluminum if it looks like crap?

People who have been in one haven't been impressed by the quality of the interior Vs. competitors.

And yes that includes the horrible looking "real aluminum" style they used.

Who cares if its real aluminum if it looks like crap?

Looks like the IUP for the Mustang, and a crappy photo of it with the flash being used.

No wonder why it looks like shit :doh::doh::doh:

a More complementary looking photo:

ford.edge.int.500.jpg

Edited by silvrsvt

Looks like the IUP for the Mustang, and a crappy photo of it with the flash being used.

No wonder why it looks like shit :doh::doh::doh:

a More complementary looking photo:

ford.edge.int.500.jpg

I like that they are offering white it looks very elegant, though I could just imagine how unattractive it would be after one year of use. If I was geting one I would get Black leather interior, I think with the siver in the middle only black or white trully complement it. Tan would clealry not.

I like that they are offering white it looks very elegant, though I could just imagine how unattractive it would be after one year of use. If I was geting one I would get Black leather interior, I think with the siver in the middle only black or white trully complement it. Tan would clealry not.

That interior looks pretty tan to me.

That interior looks pretty tan to me.

It certainly does! I like the design for most of the IP and as has been mentioned before they could use a little better materials but for the most part they got this thing right.

I think that the exterior style will get people in the door and interested in the vehicle...will someone not buy the car because of a trim piece or two-probably not-actually I am pretty damn certain that won't kill the deal...but hopefully they will spend a few extra $$'s upgrading some pieces and adding things like power up and down for all 4 windows.