4 Door Mustang

Blue II

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, Ford, I beg of you: DO NOT CALL ANY SEDAN OR STATION WAGON A MUSTANG!!!!!! Whatever it takes to resist this temptation, do it. This can only end badly. There is no such thing as a Mustang sedan or a Mustang wagon. The Mustang comes in only two versions - coupe or convertible. That's it. You can only tarnish the name by doing something as foolish as this.

On a side note, please bring us a RWD sedan. I'm not as concerned about a wagon (see Dodge Magnum dwindling sales), but the sedan would be very nice. Name it Mustang and I'll seriously hunt you down and kill you individually.

Actually ..

while the use of MUSTANG as a name would be controversial ...

this is an ingenious iidea.. they see what Gm is planning with Pontiac - a RWD non-luxury perfomance division sharing models with Australia ..

Ford has nothign to answer, unless thye expand the Ford or Mercury portfolios.

A mustang sub-brand (or even a full brand) would allow them to expand enthusiast RWD offerings to more than just a coupe.

besides - the mustang in the pic looks HOT:

mustang_sedan.jpg

Igor

Edited by igor

A 4 door Mustang or station wagon Mustang? Why? Are they all drunk?

Use the platform to build a 4 door Lincoln. That 4.6l aluminum block is a sweet car engine and they are not taking advantage of it. They have the production capability for the engine and it is idle/or underutilized. They have been building the 5.4l Falcons for years now. How long does it take to build this sort of vehicle in NA?

Hell, even call it the Falcon! Talk about full circle...the original Mustang was on Falcon mechanicals, so make the future Falcon on Mustang bones...!

Isn't this what they've been saving the name "Torino" for?

Sporty sedan and wagon, the history is there.

Just leave Ben Stiller out of the damned movie.

Whatever they do, they better not call it a Mustang, Call it some other horse name....but I think Pinto would be a bad idea ;)

Another thing I took from this article...it looks like the next Gen Mustang will be built on the new Falcon platform

Edited by silvrsvt

A mustang sub-brand (or even a full brand) would allow them to expand enthusiast RWD offerings to more than just a coupe.

Was the GT(40) called a Mustang? Nope.

I simply don't agree that Ford must use the Mustang name to expand a RWD lineup. Both Ford & Mercury have a long history of performance vehicles. In fact, adding performance RWD vehicles to Ford or Mercury wouldn't be so much a "stretch" of the brand as it would be a return to the roots of each brand.

Add in Ford's long line of "heritage" names Fairlane, Futura (rights issues, yes), Galaxie, Five Hundred, Torino, Thunderbird, etc. and there seems to be little case for trying to spread the Mustang brand too far.

Scott

Autoextremist hits the nail on the head in this week's On The Table column:

http://www.autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

"Memo to Ford: A cool, high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan and wagon would be an excellent addition to your product portfolio. Go to the well and pull out some of the great names from Ford's past (you have plenty of 'em), and then build those cars."

Maybe what Ford will really do is advertise that this new car series borrows from the Mustang and carries Ford's performance heritage like the word Hemi did for Chrysler. The cars themselves aren't named Hemi, but the association is there.

I'm thinking an ad saying, " born from the Mustang... the new Ford (Falcon or whatever).

Autoweek is reporting that Ford may add a 4 door and wagon models to the Mustang brand.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1024/LATESTNEWS

Now this is quite a surprise!! So is this our long awaited RWD sedan? Basically the new Aussie Falcon with the sheetmetal changed a bit for North America? If the next Mustang is going to ride on this platform (smart move) it's only obvious this is where we'd get our modern RWD sedan from, so I don't know why people are getting their panties in as bunch. I doubt they'd use the Mustang name for the sedan, Falcon would be a great name, so would 427, Fairlane, and there are many other good names for them to choose from.

And after thinking about it for a bit, and reading what Auoweek has to say, I bet what is really going on here knowing how often magazines get their info screwed up. Is that Ford decided to build the next gen Stang on the Falcon platform which is called E8, and is going to use the same platform for our NA RWD sedan, I doubt it's just going tobe a 4-door Mustang. So this is reason to celebrate if true, people have been waiting for this car from Ford for a long long time.

Now back to the powertrain options I've listed in the past, I'd say a 3.5 for the base motor would be a great starting point, toss in the rumored 5.0L-5.8L Hurricane/Boss as the optional engine, and whatever high-po "SVT" version can use the 6.2L. That's the ticket right there...

Edited by Blueblood

First post here in awhile.

If this turns out to be true (and I think that it just might) then I suspect that this is a calculated risk by Mulally to make the most of every last bit of brand equity ford has. The thing we have to realize is that the Mustang will always be limited to 150k (or so) units in its current form because coupes will never reach the volume they were at when the Mustang was conceived.

I think that it is almost impossible that they would sell less of these by adding a sedan and wagon. There will be some angry fans. Some will never get over it. But in the meantime, they know that putting this name on a car alone will get it major attention. More attention, IMHO, than almost any other name you could put on a car and especially more than past, forgotten Ford models (like Falcon or Fairlane).

And speaking of Mulally this will make or break him. He will go down in infamy if this kills the Mustang (even if one were to assert that it and the entirity of Ford along with it would have died anyway). But if it works, then he may well be labeled the savior.

The response is loud and getting louder, and I took the liberty of quoting H.T.T. on why he might just do something like this.

???

This idea of prostituting Mustang is serious if true Ford, and this may just be the Rubicon for your comeback. Damage control is now in play, and anything less than clarity in a denial of this is dangerous.

First post here in awhile.

If this turns out to be true (and I think that it just might) then I suspect that this is a calculated risk by Mulally to make the most of every last bit of brand equity ford has. The thing we have to realize is that the Mustang will always be limited to 150k (or so) units in its current form because coupes will never reach the volume they were at when the Mustang was conceived.

I think that it is almost impossible that they would sell less of these by adding a sedan and wagon. There will be some angry fans. Some will never get over it. But in the meantime, they know that putting this name on a car alone will get it major attention. More attention, IMHO, than almost any other name you could put on a car and especially more than past, forgotten Ford models (like Falcon or Fairlane).

And speaking of Mulally this will make or break him. He will go down in infamy if this kills the Mustang (even if one were to assert that it and the entirity of Ford along with it would have died anyway). But if it works, then he may well be labeled the savior.

Are you another who forgot the lessons of the Mustang II and the probe FWD Mustang? Please tell me that it was a temporary memory glitch, as those took alot of time and money to repair and both of which still leave a bad taste in the mouth. Ford has neither time nor money right now and for the forseeable future and this is the sort of stupidity that leads to the mess they are in.

Edited by JETSOLVER