Explorer to kick the truck habit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, the Freestyle and Explorer lines will merge into one new vehicle. I'm in the school that feels keeping off-roading engineering into the Explorer is wasteful, considering its target market and primary buyers. On the other hand, Ford should look into developing a Ranger-based offroading utilitarian SUV (Bronco) to sell alongside the new Explorer.

Can the D3 be lenghtened?

They will have the Fairlane, so they need a crossover the size of the lambdas.

Then all of this leaves the edge out. The edge is small and very expensive.

They should put the escape on a car platform as a base crossover and pice it right under 20k.

Does anyone else see the sadness in the fact that the Explorer was a hit for a lot of the reasons they are trying to remove now. They began to be more popular with people that didnt need its capabilities, and now that that segment is leaving and getting back to the core Explorer market, its going to be changed to follow those fleeing from it. Even with a fully independent suspension argument, its a whole lot better offroad than the alternative Ford crossovers.

So they are going to give up on yet another segment? So we're going to have both a Freestyle and an Explorer that are same exact vehicles??

There are ways to improve the Explorer without going to an old Volvo car platform.. :finger:

Why is everyone assuming it's D3 based? Land Rover has a very capable unibody SUV platform that could easily be shared. It's RWD, holds a V8 and tows 7700 lbs.

Just because a vehicle grows in weight, it doesn't mean the fuel estimate should decrease as well. I mean, if it actually had a more powerful engine and more gears, it can easily get up to speed and do better fuel mileage estimate than something with a boat anchor that requires it to rev hard for much longer, to get to speed.

Case in point, the Explorer 4.0L V6 and 4.6L V8 almost have same real-world fuel numbers.

Why is everyone assuming it's D3 based? Land Rover has a very capable unibody SUV platform that could easily be shared. It's RWD, holds a V8 and tows 7700 lbs.

From the article...

Instead of continuing to build the Explorer on a heavy-duty frame designed for trucks, the automaker will base the new one on a smaller, lighter mechanical platform originally designed for cars made by Ford's Volvo subsidiary of Sweden.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...columnist_levin

Does anyone else see the sadness in the fact that the Explorer was a hit for a lot of the reasons they are trying to remove now. They began to be more popular with people that didnt need its capabilities, and now that that segment is leaving and getting back to the core Explorer market, its going to be changed to follow those fleeing from it. Even with a fully independent suspension argument, its a whole lot better offroad than the alternative Ford crossovers.

Then they should make it a real off-roader, or offer an Off-road package w/ SRA.

Besides, if they are going to move it to the D3 platform, why not just cancel the current Explorer and rename the Freestyle to Explorer.

Can the D3 be lenghtened?

They will have the Fairlane, so they need a crossover the size of the lambdas.

The Current Freestyle is roughly the same size as the Lambdas, which are nothing more then car platforms wrapped in a SUV skin

Then all of this leaves the edge out. The edge is small and very expensive.

It tops out at 36K, Ford is looking at sales at the 30-28K mark...how is that very expensive? Its cheaper then most of its competitors

They should put the escape on a car platform as a base crossover and pice it right under 20k.

The Escape is already on a car platform! Its based on the old Mazda 626

I don't need the extra size, or the poor fuel mileage. I need a seven passenger vehicle capable of towing approx. 6700 lbs. My Explorer does it perfectly, and the V8/5 speed gives me 18mpg. The Expedition is too big, and the 5.4, to me, is nothing but a boat anchor.

Then don't replace your Explorer. Keep it.

What is it, some sort of leased vehicle?

And you believe it just because one journalist wrote it? The other articles just said car based platform (unibody) and didn't mention volvo. I think this writer is making an assumption that may or may not be true.

The wording he used was "will be", that doesn't sound like a guess to me.

As for the Explorer going the car route, I think the most logical way of going about doing it without overlapping other line ups is to put it on the Mustang Sedan platform that will hopefully come about in the next couple of years. Towing capacity isn't BOF only domain, Ford intentionally under rates their cars so they force people to buy more trucks instead to tow with. A Car based Explorer would hit the scales anywhere from 3700-4500 lbs, roughly what it weighs now, thus keeping it Class 3 towing capable. The major thing to remember with towing is that the towing vehicle has to be heaver then the load its towing to avoid getting pushed around when you are going down hill.

The Explorer name isn't tarnshed yet and has alot of life in it..hopefully Ford will do the right thing and not fuck it up, but I'm not holding my breath.

We love our Explorer for what it is not what it should try to become. I can guarantee that we will not buy a car based Explorer to replace our current one. What is needed for the Explorer is a more attractive and modern exterior with a more useful interior. i. e. conventional operation of the doors and handles and a dash that doesn't look like half of the gages are missing.

Why can't Ford use that platform for a new Ranger and allow Louisville to stay open and flex between Ranger and Explorer? Toyota does not have big numbers for the Forerunner but they didn't abandon the market.

Ford needs to give it a rest with the Mazda and Volvo platforms that are not making a huge impact and develop what they can do best. Make an American car dammit and quit trying to adapt the other cars into Fords.