Alan Mulally drives a rental Taurus

Shoman594

Ford CEO Alan Mulally as a fan of the recently discontinued Taurus, so much so that he recently rented one while traveling to check it out. Mulally, who joined Ford from Boeing last September, became a fan of the Taurus 20 years ago when he studied Ford's production system for the car for a project he was doing at the aircraft company.

"I havent had time to do the deep dive on why we stopped investing in Taurus, but I'd like to," says Mulally.....the Ford Five Hundred should have been the new Taurus."

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat...aurus_coul.html

One of the more lighter articles I've read here in a while. I am glad that the boss can still smile and laugh despite everything else going on.

Personally, I would not call the Five Hundred a Taurus precisely for the reasons stated in the article (and on these forums numerous times). Frankly, I cannot see the name coming back without some form of hesitation from the buying public. Yet, stranger things have happened.

As for the other names: American cars deserve real names with history and tradition. Leave the alpha-numerical code to the imports. You can make and bulid a Import fighter-destroyer and give it a name with dignity and pedigree.

Ford: You can do it but why won't you? I think your dependance on focus groups who probably don't even know what they want could be a warning light in the fog...

Edited by Hugh

If he really wanted to drive a Zephyr (and not a MKZ) then he should come out here. I've seen dealers with dozens of Zephyrs and hardly any MKZ. It is as if Lincoln rushed to expunge the name so fast from their web site that they forgot to give it some incentives to get the rest of them off the lots first and now they just sit there.

I know there's history behind "500", but "Five Hundred" --all in letters as a name-- was a retarded choice.

Looking in retrospective, Futura would've sounded retarded as well, and it's not like the Fusion would do even worse if called the Taurus.

I know there's history behind "500", but "Five Hundred" --all in letters as a name-- was a retarded choice.

Looking in retrospective, Futura would've sounded retarded as well, and it's not like the Fusion would do even worse if called the Taurus.

Yeah, Five Hundred takes too long to type and 500 may be confused with 300. It was still keeping with the 'F' for cars, 'E' for SUV etc. However, it has grown on me somewhat. Now that I think about it...maybe if it was renamed 'Taurus'...(I just slapped myself) nevermind.

I remember I was glad they couldn't get 'Futura' off the pep boys. That is a bad name. As for Fusion been called the Taurus...I think Ford would have an even more uphill battle selling the car. I remember the first C/D Fusion/Camry/Accord/Sonata test. Even though the Fusion was a pre-production adn the Camry was last-generation, it fared well (2nd place). What stuck out in my mind was the verdict on the Fusion: "Not your old mans Ford". A new name and a statement like that can go a long way to change peoples minds.

Yeah, Five Hundred takes too long to type and 500 may be confused with 300. It was still keeping with the 'F' for cars, 'E' for SUV etc. However, it has grown on me somewhat. Now that I think about it...maybe if it was renamed 'Taurus'...(I just slapped myself) nevermind.

< :P > Can we call the '08 Focus Ford Fhree Hundred? Then later change Fusion to Ford Four Hundred? Just to piss Chrysler off.</ :P >

Edit: stupid smilies. :doh:

Edited by 03 LS

< :P > Can we call the '08 Focus Ford Fhree Hundred? Then later change Fusion to Ford Four Hundred? Just to piss Chrysler off.</ :P >

Edit: stupid smilies. :doh:

The whole "F" and "M" name idea was though up by a grandchild of a former board member, he was the one that pushed for the name changes as that was the greatest idea ever!

-- The whole name thing killed the Windstar/Freestar. And had it not been renamed/equipped/ and marketed correctly it sill would be selling 100,000 units a year today. The name was a major factor in its decline. The Five Hundred should have been called the Taurus 500 -- People know the Taurus name and the 500 would have shown it was a different car. The Fusion would have been a disaster had it had the Futura name -- no one under 35 would ever buy one. Also it had been talked about to do that -- a 300, 400, and 500.

What I can't figure out is the model differences, on the Five Hundred you have SE, SEL, and Limited, on Fusion you have S, SE, SEL. the Edge you have SE. SEL and SEL "Plus", and the Focus you have S, SE. SES. ST. They need to be consistent. But at Ford all the manages had/have their little empires and have to be different than anyone else.

The whole "F" and "M" name idea was though up by a grandchild of a former board member, he was the one that pushed for the name changes as that was the greatest idea ever!

-- The whole name thing killed the Windstar/Freestar. And had it not been renamed/equipped/ and marketed correctly it sill would be selling 100,000 units a year today. The name was a major factor in its decline. The Five Hundred should have been called the Taurus 500 -- People know the Taurus name and the 500 would have shown it was a different car. The Fusion would have been a disaster had it had the Futura name -- no one under 35 would ever buy one. Also it had been talked about to do that -- a 300, 400, and 500.

What I can't figure out is the model differences, on the Five Hundred you have SE, SEL, and Limited, on Fusion you have S, SE, SEL. the Edge you have SE. SEL and SEL "Plus", and the Focus you have S, SE. SES. ST. They need to be consistent. But at Ford all the manages had/have their little empires and have to be different than anyone else.

Did the grandchild use good crayons when it came up with that proposal?

Keeping that theme in line would the Taurus 500 name be changed to Fortune (Drum roll).

I agree with the inconsistancies of the models. Now, we here up north do not get the Fusion S and Focus S is hard to find because the difference is minimal and S is literally a stripper model. Five Hundred has SEL and Limited only and Edge SEL+ does not exist here. It is SE FWD/AWD and SEL FWD/AWD. Same as Fusion and when you look at the equipment lists, it actually makes sense. I would like to see that across the board.

Edited by Hugh

The Five Hundred should have been called the Taurus 500 -- People know the Taurus name and the 500 would have shown it was a different car.

You know, that's not a bad idea, seeing as how the original "Five Hundred" badge was actually a trim level for the original Ford Fairlane. I think it was the same for the Crown Victoria as well.

So, a Taurus Five Hundred, despite the awkward sound, could have designated a Taurus with better powertrain (which the Five Hundred has), better interior (which the Five Hundred has), and better performance (which the Five Hundred... sorta... has).

Older folks, or baby boomers, might have gotten the connection. Let's face it-- you're not going to attract a young crowd with a large FWD/AWD sedan.

You know, that's not a bad idea, seeing as how the original "Five Hundred" badge was actually a trim level for the original Ford Fairlane. I think it was the same for the Crown Victoria as well.

You had the Fairlane part right but it was actually the Galaxie 500 from the 60s and early 70s, not the Crown Victoria. The Galaxie was later renamed LTD and that was eventually replaced by the Crown Vic. The Crown Victoria name actually originated in the 50s and was used on the highest trim level Fairlane. I believe the Victoria name was also used as far back as the early 30s to designate the highest trim level passenger car. Ford History 101. And, yes, I am a baby boomer. :shades:

The SEL and SEL+ monikers sound like complete SHIT in my opinion. What the hell does SEL mean anyway. What is the mental image that you see when you hear that name? For me it sounds like something a 75 year old coming out of a Buick Le Sabre would be looking for.

"Wow man that Edge is nice, which model is it again?" "Thanks man it's the SEL+ ... yeah yeah.... I know it sounds stupid as hell."

One of the most creative names I have heard for separating packaging was out of Infiniti.

You have the Journey and the Tech package. Journey is the entry pack which has most of the options you'll want. The Tech package offers upgrades like Nav and Blue Tooth etc.

Instead of creativity we are stuck with SEL+... Sounds Wal-Martish if you ask me.

The SEL and SEL+ monikers sound like complete SHIT in my opinion. What the hell does SEL mean anyway. What is the mental image that you see when you hear that name? For me it sounds like something a 75 year old coming out of a Buick Le Sabre would be looking for.

"Wow man that Edge is nice, which model is it again?" "Thanks man it's the SEL+ ... yeah yeah.... I know it sounds stupid as hell."

One of the most creative names I have heard for separating packaging was out of Infiniti.

You have the Journey and the Tech package. Journey is the entry pack which has most of the options you'll want. The Tech package offers upgrades like Nav and Blue Tooth etc.

Instead of creativity we are stuck with SEL+... Sounds Wal-Martish if you ask me.

why do you not complain of Camry LE or Civic EX or Cobalt LTZ, or how about BMW330xi, or any other automaker, because here is the thing..

in the non-luxury market there are simply too many variations to create a creative name for each one of them, and in most other cases, the automaker does not want you to REMEMBER the package name .. you drive a Fusion/Edge/Cobalt/Civic ... not Mercury Milan Premiere, or Infinity G35 Tech...

Igor

Igor

Edited by igor

To ad, Infiniti also doesn't have a label on their rear trunks saying "Infiniti G35, Technology Pkg." With DX, EX, etc. it's much easier. THing is, Honda as one example have always kept their DX, LX, EX, so when your behind someone with an "EX" you know it means it's fully loaded. As for Ford, that has always varied...You had Taurus, "G", then GL, LX, then S, SE, SELs, it's all over the place and has changed during it's time. Whereas in the Explorer, you know XL is dirt cheap (Or was-and phased out), XLT became the lower priced leader, then EddieBauer, Limited, etc.etc.

Ironically, I'm sure it costs Ford a few cents more putting "Limited" badge, then an "SEL". My guess as to why Lincoln is going Alpha....Less letters :)

why do you not complain of Camry LE or Civic EX or Cobalt LTZ, or how about BMW330xi, or any other automaker, because here is the thing..

Igor

Igor

BMW actually make perfect sense -- 3 is the series, 30 is the engine size(though they have strayed from this of late), x means AWD and i is for a gasoline engine. They change the model for the engine. It is all the other ones that mean nothing.

Also, from the human nature part it would be wise for them to all adopt a common model trim level. Everyone would know that their neighbor just got the cheap level Camry and that the other neighbor just got a loaded Malibu. Human nature (keeping up with the jones) would allow manfuactures (both domestic and import) better margins on product. As for the SEL Plus -- I don't know why they just didn't call it a Limited.

BMW actually make perfect sense -- 3 is the series, 30 is the engine size(though they have strayed from this of late), x means AWD and i is for a gasoline engine. They change the model for the engine. It is all the other ones that mean nothing.

I bet that 75% of BMW buyers don't even know that. Plus i means fuel injected, when it was a big deal to have that :P

You had the Fairlane part right but it was actually the Galaxie 500 from the 60s and early 70s, not the Crown Victoria. The Galaxie was later renamed LTD and that was eventually replaced by the Crown Vic. The Crown Victoria name actually originated in the 50s and was used on the highest trim level Fairlane. I believe the Victoria name was also used as far back as the early 30s to designate the highest trim level passenger car. Ford History 101. And, yes, I am a baby boomer. :shades:

The 500 debuted in 1957 as an upscale package for the Fairlane. The lines ran as follows:

Custom and Custom 300

Fairlane and Fairlane 500 Skyliner retractables and Sunliner convertibles were included in the Fairlane 500 series

Victorias were the designation for hardtops starting in 1951. The Victoria name originated in 1930 as the top Model A. The Crown Vic first appeared in 1955 and was discontinued in '56. It was a two door sedan with a distinctive chrome wrap over the roof and frameless hardtop doors.

In 1959 the Galaxie was added as the top of the line above the Fairlane 500.

The Galaxie continued as the top series through 1964 with the 500 and in '62 the 500XL as option packages. The LTD was first offered in 1965 in 2 door and 4 door hardtops with a more formal roofline distinguished from the slant back Galaxies. Galaxie 500s and 500XLs continued and were joined by the 500 7 Litre in 1966 with the 428 FE standard. In '68 the 7 Litre was dropped and an XL GT was added. The XL ended with the 1970 model. The Galaxie ended in 1974.

Fairlanes became intermediates in 1962 and also used 500 to denote the upper level trim. In 1966 Fairlane also offered 500XL and GT. The Torino replaced the Fairlane 500 as the top intermediate in 1968. The Fairlane name was retired after 1971.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

To ad, Infiniti also doesn't have a label on their rear trunks saying "Infiniti G35, Technology Pkg." With DX, EX, etc. it's much easier. THing is, Honda as one example have always kept their DX, LX, EX, so when your behind someone with an "EX" you know it means it's fully loaded.

Uh... No you are not even close. "fully loaded" is a dead misnomer. Car options are so inclusive/exclusive anymore you have to know whats in it, "fully loaded" only applies to guns.

Right now, looking and the Honda website there are 10 different EX models of Honda Accord's. Would you call a 4cylinder, cloth, manual tranny "fully loaded"? Or would you call the ex, v6, auto with sat linked nav, leather, and an automatic "fully loaded"? If you think hondas trim level naming scheme makes sense then try deciphering SE/Special Edition/VP/Value Package Which seems to change every year.

Americans have infiltrated high levels of every car company and poluted the names and trim levels to the point of insanity. A lot of the trim levels are just marketing gimmicks.... They build cheapos to get the "starting at" price down, and then the build some "value/special" editions to have ad fodder for compteing models concerning price points for power amenities options.

Don't even start with Camry, at least with a Honda EX you know you are getting a sunroof, with camry LE you can have cloth, wheelcovers/aluminum/nav/nav/leather/sunroof/hardtop/manual/auto/any radio.

If the current 500 was called Taurus, people would expect to pay $16K for it and balk at the 'large car prices'.

GM can get away with selling the Impala cheaper, since they are stretching the old W body to "large car' size. {EPA definition of large}

The Fusion should have came out before the 500 series, since it is a mid sized car.

Edited by 630land

All the Taurus name haters will revile in this statement, but the Taurus name will always mean success, profit and groundbreaking to me. I owned 2 of them and they served our family well. Just as any product, made by any company who owns a trademark name, the Taurus name could have (and hopefully will be) used on one of the current new Ford models. When they introduced the Windstar, they could have named in Country Squire (sans the fake wood) and people would have made the wagon-like people carrying connection to a mini-van. Futura sounds dated in 2007, but is still a cool name for a Ford. BTW, my daughter is still pining for another taurus to replace her wrecked '92. She has driven 8 used cars, Camry, Accord, Impala and Sentra to name a few. The Taurus is not old technology! It is still being used and it still works. What is wrong with you people? The Taurus made it's mark in the car world. You can't understand that? Get on with it. Laslty, I hope A.M finds that he loves the Taurus and finds a way to make the name live forever.

Edited by 156n3rd

All the Taurus name haters will revile in this statement, but the Taurus name will always mean success, profit and groundbreaking to me.

That is good, and also fully understandable. In 1985 and 1992 (the beautiful second generation), Taurus definitely meant groundbreaking, success -- may I add sensational?

It's just that today's customer... most have a different opinion now that it became a rental donkey.

I actually think they can bring back the Taurus name in five or ten years once the 2000-2006 era is forgotten about.

"I actually think they can bring back the Taurus name in five or ten years once the 2000-2006 era is forgotten about."

IMHO, in about 10 years.

I don't see the Taurus name coming back anytime soon. I do hope that Ford learns from the Taurus experience and never again lets a brand name fall into such disrepute by sheer neglect.

I think the name can come back because Taurus originally had strong emotional value.

It's just they need to have some time without using it, because it became a forgettable rental donkey. However, if they can recapture the 1986-1992 era feelings, then it might stand a chance in, say, 2012.

Besides, we all know they're going to replace the Five Hundred name somehow if this second-gen doesn't pan out well. (Unlike how Honda/Toyota keep their Accord/Camry names)