2008 Ford Focus Unveiled

FordDan74012

Wow that's horrendous! Ford is making DCX look good! It's official, all the good designers have migrated to GM. Ford design is a disaster, I have never seen such poor results from this company.

Edited by BORG

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's horrendous! Ford is making DCX look good! It's official, all the good designers have migrated to GM. Ford design is a disaster, I have never seen such poor results from this company.

Coming from a person who didn't like the Zephyr, yet gets an MKZ ;)

Anyways, the car is changed much more then I was expecting. Not too keen on the overall silver interior color that it has, but it its worlds better then the out going design. I like it overall, but I have to see it in person since I got a feeling that only seeing it in two dimensions via photos, its lacking something.

Coming from a person who didn't like the Zephyr, yet gets an MKZ ;)

Anyways, the car is changed much more then I was expecting. Not too keen on the overall silver interior color that it has, but it its worlds better then the out going design. I like it overall, but I have to see it in person since I got a feeling that only seeing it in two dimensions via photos, its lacking something.

I like the interior. The face is a design atrocity. This car looked far more promising when the nose and fenders were covered. If only they carried over more of the Euro Focus design language instead of coming up with this mess. This is something Saturn would have done before they knocked some design sense into the company.

Edited by BORG

Everyone has an opinion I guess. Personally I think the body is a very slight improvement over the current model, the wheels on the blue one look nice, a nice touch. Other than that it's neither strinkingly impressive nor depressingly ugly. It's a good middle of the road car. The interior in my opinion is a dramatic improvement. The current Focus interior is by far one of the worst available interiors on the market. The new interior is a night and day improvement. I really like it. I hope along with the asthetics they have incorporated some catchy options. Perhaps lighted cup holders or chilled drink holder, things like that.

"This is a substantial appearance update. If the C1 is already old, why move to it when the next gen Focus will be C2? " Thanks!!!!

"It sux"

Kinda of expected the biased to "hate it" since it isn't "all new". Toyota can re-use a platform [which has been done many times] and call it 'all new', but never anyone else. This is a re-negineering, not a re-skin, and btw, it looks great, not a look alike car as the "great" Korens make.

Ford should go after people without a deep biased hatred, of which there are many who are willing to try. The 2005 'update' was a joke, this is much better.

Don't like it, then go get a Korean car.

Oh, and yeah what happend to the hatches? No one bought them, Honda/Toyota don't sell [C class size] them so by bye. Wagons? I'm betting a Focus crossver is coming to replace them. Should they be ready now? Yes.

It is almost never worth responding to you.................and you know why.

I said I hate the design, but I gave props to ford for taking a risk, I gave them props for paying attention to the small things. The design is subjective and even though I hate it.........completely..........I won't bash the design because it definately isn't boring and that is what my biggest gripe was with Ford, to afraid to take a risk. So I am pleased they are.............I just wish they had people with better taste........and yes I know it is conceded so don't even start.

Let's get a couple things straight though, Ford abandoned the Focus for 9 years with only a slight facelift no one noticed. Now this focus is what is to be expected, I mean ultimately we new Fords situation. But to this obviously is a half hearted effort...............but that was to be expected if the rumors are true that the c2 focus in 2011 will come to the US. This "new" focus is simply a stop gap measure.............and nothing more.

What I don't get is how you can compare how Toyota treats the Corolla with how Ford treated the Focus in the US.............I mean come one, no offense but can something more stupid be said? I also really really really hate it when people on this forum respond to a Ford screw up with "well so and so did it also" Is that really thekind of mentality Ford should have? That it okay for them to screw because so and so screwed up..................what a joke.

The same message is going to be posted over on the Five Hundred thread:

No more personal insults. Do not refer to other posters as 'kool-aid drinkers' (Jim Jones' cult drank Flavor Aid, anyway). Do not suggest that other posters need to learn to write, think, read, etc.

If someone cannot express their thoughts in a grammatically correct manner, why can't we call them out? (Straightforward question.)

It is almost never worth responding to you.................and you know why.

Don't personalize this debate.

I'm off the rest of the evening. I'm going to play with my nephews and eat with my sister and brother-in-law. I trust everyone posting here will behave themselves between now and tomorrow.

I don't want to come back and find poop everywhere.

http://www.flashgamecodes.com/game/11735/S...poop-Fight.html

Edited by RichardJensen

If someone cannot express their thoughts in a grammatically correct manner, why can't we call them out? (Straightforward question.)

Basically, because the other person is likely to infer that you are questioning his/her intelligence.

This is a very polarizing topic, and I'd just like to see a good clean fight.

Or you can play the monkey poop fight game.

Edited by RichardJensen

Seeing pictures of the Euro Focus in this thread just makes me sad, and yes, even Mexico gets it, and China, and the Middle East, third world countries get better Fords than we do.

Right about now I think Ford of America should just stop building, designing, engineering, anything other than the F-150/Super Duty/Mustang, and just wait for Ford of Europe (who actually knows how to build and design good cars) to come up with their vehicles, send a copy of the blueprints to our plants, and build them. No changes at all, carbon copies of what europe gets, then people would actually want to buy ford's considering EVERYBODY but a few old bluehairs wants them, and NOBODY wants the cheap, hideous, disasters coming out of Detroit.

It is a much more thorough change than I was expecting...but the chrome side vent looks out of place, and the wheels look lost in the wheel wells on the sedan. I'll wait until I see it in real life to render a final judgment. And, no, it still doesn't look as good as the European Focus.

i have to say that i kinda like the new focus. front end has a little too much sebring un it. i am disappointed to hear there will be no hatch which i assume means no SVT model. i just wish would finish these refreshes completely. i mean if you're going to put this much work into a redesign you HAVE to give it a better engine.

:D

Much better than the 2005 redo!!!

I hate to see that they dropped the Hatches. Hopefully the can recover some of those sales with the coupe.

I really hope to see many of these interior upgrades to the next mustang that I will be buying in a few years...

all that money wasted on a refresh that STILL looks like ass, should have just used the UK versions for inspiration

Agreed, the C1 Focus (sedan & hatch) looks even better in person. Solid, strong, refined, athletic. Anyway it could've been much worse. Bill Ford thought this would be good enough for americans until 2012, and knowing him, possibly even longer than that.

2012 with the Ford Sebring in that segment... Imagine that, and people wonder why Ford is in the shitter.

Everyone would've just said the media --and everyone else-- were just a bunch of "biased haters" once the predictable results started to come in.

Bill Ford and Co. probably thought they were being pretty clever with all their "wise spending" with this, the 500, Escape, etc.

Thankfully Mark Fields and Mullaly stepped in and fired the "Bububu good enough" cheerleaders. Bill Ford was forced into learning a very important lesson:

In this industry you pay upfront or you pay later, but you will always pay no matter what.

Edited by pcsario

Well, Ford has now copied the Civic. Luckily they make a better looking Civic than Honda does. I like it. Okay, the inside is the typical middle-school studyhall styling they put in compacts hoping to impress kids who've proved over and over the one thing they won't buy are cars designed to impress kids. My guess is the interior engineers are about my age and watched the Pole Position cartoon on Saturday Supercade too, because that's what their designs look like.

The good news is it looks better than the Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Mitsubishi, and Dodge. The Nissan Sentra might give it a run for its money.

What's with the wheels on the sedan facing forward. They look like they were lifted off our '84 Mazda GLC!

I don't believe this car will not beat the new Honda Civic.

The front end looks better than the current Focus, but not as good as the original Focus. The headlights look like a cross between the original Focus (which looked really good to me) and the horrible looking headlights on the Contour before that model got killed. The back end looks generic... but not in a terrible way.

Interior is not bad, but it won't give any of Ford's competitors sleepless nights.

Also, it seems that Ford is still doing stupid things. Hatchbacks are hot right now... so Ford kills them. Same for the wagons... all they needed to do is call it something like 'Crossover Sport Avant' or some other bullshit marketing term. The only reason why the current hatch and wagon isn't selling as well as they could is because they're asking as much as $5000+ for them their 5dr competitors... and you don't even get the 2.3L engine. Add in the lousy reskin and Duh... no wonder it isn't selling.

And why is Ford sticking with the Non-VVT 2.0? And I see that there is no 2.3L engine.

The only way this thing will sell is if they sell it cheap or keep the incentive game going.

If Ford wants to turn itself around, they need to aim to be the best. Geez... one easy thing they could have done is just make the 151HP 2.3L engine standard across the board. At least then the base Focus would have more power than the Civic.

This redesign, reskin or whatever you want to call it is not aiming to be the best. It is a half-assed attempt and in my view, wasn't worth the effort, time or money. Mind you, it's not as bad as the half-assed vehicle and marketing that gave us the Freestar. But is the look better than other versions of the Focus?

They would have been better off never changing the look of the original Focus and instead kept working on improving the powertrain, making it Rock Solid Reliable so that it has reliability/durability ratings as good or better than the Civic, Corolla or Mazda3 and price all models realisticaly or give more bang for the buck (like what they used to do with the Tempo).

After test driving a 2005 ZX-5 (which I did not buy), I like the new interior and exterior over the elcheapo interior in the 2005, and I always thought the 4 door Focus was rather ugly.

The 2.3 liter engine was kind of a gas hog for the size of the car, if you ask me.

However, the car is not on our list to replace the Corolla because we are looking for a small hatchback/wagon, which apparently Ford will not offer. Pontiac will have a new Vibe for 2008, so we are not out of luck yet.

Also, it seems that Ford is still doing stupid things. Hatchbacks are hot right now... so Ford kills them.

The only reason why the current hatch and wagon isn't selling as well as they could is because they're asking as much as $5000+ for them their 5dr competitors... and you don't even get the 2.3L engine. They would have been better off never changing the look of the original Focus and instead kept working on improving the powertrain, making it Rock Solid Reliable so that it has reliability/durability ratings as good or better than the Civic, Corolla or Mazda3 and price all models realisticaly or give more bang for the buck (like what they used to do with the Tempo).

Agreed there. Ideally the Focus should have been brought in line with the Euro models. This half-assed restyle is ugly and makes the car look Korean cheap. It would have been better to just change the grille, refine the interior, refine the drivetrain and performance dynamics. I also liked the hatch better than the coupe.

There is a reason a new VW GTI turns heads and gathers stares everywhere it goes. Now it is my definite choice for cars in this class.