Ford Sync

Given that Microsloth is involved, will there be a dash display for the "blue screen of death"?

Kidding aside, this could be an important leap for Ford in the features dept. Their lack of Nav and Satellite radio has certainly noticed, maybe good news will be as well.

Is this technology available on any other vehicle brand?

Ford has exclusive rights through 2008.

Ford Synch will be available on the 2008 Ford Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Edge, Freestyle, Explorer and Sport Trac; Mercury Milan, Montego and Mountaineer; and Lincoln MKX and MKZ.

And a more detailed video I found on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJkdnsgUMlw...ted&search=

Pretty impressive, I like how you can listen to internet radio since FM radio sucks bad. Although I can't understand how on Earth it even works...

Now this is the kind of thing Ford nees to advertise the heckout of, and advertise it well...

Edited by Blueblood

I'd have to agree with you there. The missing voice command button, aux jack, and flash drive would have to be retro-fitted and I don't see that happening at all (not to mention the small on board PC nec. for use).

Don't under-estimate the aftermarket on this. If it becomes a common feature across the board on other brands after Ford loses exclusive rights, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before it is incorporated into aftermarket head units.

Don't under-estimate the aftermarket on this. If it becomes a common feature across the board on other brands after Ford loses exclusive rights, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before it is incorporated into aftermarket head units.

Well no that was in reference to the current audio setup in Ford vehicles right now. Essentially, how do I upgrade using all of this technology using stock radios...........I wasn't hitting on the aftermarket at all. Example: I have a touch screen OEM nav unit, will I be able to upgrade my current setup to be compatible with SYNC?

Having said that Ford only has 'X' years to exclusive rights before it trickles down to everyone else.

Well no that was in reference to the current audio setup in Ford vehicles right now. Essentially, how do I upgrade using all of this technology using stock radios...........I wasn't hitting on the aftermarket at all. Example: I have a touch screen OEM nav unit, will I be able to upgrade my current setup to be compatible with SYNC?

Having said that Ford only has 'X' years to exclusive rights before it trickles down to everyone else.

While I doubt it will work with your current screen and hardware, I would think it could be replaced with an OEM unit from Ford whenever they become available. I doubt the harnesses and such are much different, if at all. Probably wouldn't be cheap though.

While I doubt it will work with your current screen and hardware, I would think it could be replaced with an OEM unit from Ford whenever they become available. I doubt the harnesses and such are much different, if at all. Probably wouldn't be cheap though.

Man, that's rough. Here I am getting ready to replace my 03 explorer with an 07 this spring/summer and they up and say "2008" for this sync stuff. You would think it is the same hardware though, the 07's have the screen, the aux input jack, the voice button. They are probably running Windows CE on the back end already, they just are going to add a bluetooth module and some new software apps.

I see that Ford only has the exclusive until 2008.

So they don't offer it until this year, work out the kinks for everyone in 2008, then in 2009 GM and everyone else gets to offer it, kink-free in their units.

This is smart how? Ford is playing beta-site for GM? Who did this deal? Ford's system works out the kinks, gets a kinky reputation why doing so, then Microsoft sells the debugged version to all comers?

Meanwhile, GM is bringing out the "fruit bowl" setup when you just toss your cell, ipod, pda, whatever in a cushioned fruit-bowl-looking thing and it links/recharges/plays them. No wires.

bummed

This could be huge for Ford depending how they price it. I'm kinda nervous on the news last night they said it may be a $1,000 option, that would turn a lot of people off from buying it.

OUCH! No! For a plaything that will generate a lot of interest among Generation Y (read: mom and dad are buying), this needs to be around $400 max.

This kind of geeky stuff does improve resale values, too. If you compare cars that are a few years old, the ones with OEM satnav systems really do usually command a higher price, than any other option.

Of course, most rental companies don't get fleet cars with these from the OEM either, they put a cheapo little velcro-on device in later, with one button on it, and charge an extra 20 bucks a day for the pleasure of fighting it's "directions." They are just slightly more effective/fun than trailing a phone chord behind you for 20 miles to stay on the line with someone with a map.