Fusion Success? Yes? No? Sorta?

eddiehaskell

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Fusion consistently sells in the 130-150k range, year after year, with no substantial drop-offs, it will have met just about every expectation Ford had for it.

I understand what your saying, but wouldn't you want to sell more then that? I'm not saying they need to sell 400K of them like the "old" Taurus (boy this gonna get confusing), but if they can sell 175-200K without dumping them into fleets or having huge incentives on them, why not do it?

I think its doing well. It could use a low volume performance variat (svt?!) with either the 3.5 or the 2.3 turbo in the mazdas with a manual option and awd, performance tuned suspension, slightly sportier appearance.. just to draw some more people to the car. I don't know why everyone is saying its not a good car. How is it any lesser of a car than camry or accord?

I don't know why everyone is saying its not a good car. How is it any lesser of a car than camry or accord?

For most consumers, the simple fact that it has a blue oval on the grille is enough reason not to even consider it. Like I said before, I doubt the Fusion is really LOSING many sales to people buying Accords and Camrys. They likely didn't have many Accord and Camry buyers' attentions to lose to begin with -- not because of the car, but because of who builds it.

For most consumers, the simple fact that it has a blue oval on the grille is enough reason not to even consider it. Like I said before, I doubt the Fusion is really LOSING many sales to people buying Accords and Camrys. They likely didn't have many Accord and Camry buyers' attentions to lose to begin with -- not because of the car, but because of who builds it.

Good point...

That is why it has to be singificantly superior in most respects to all cars in its class to start to get people to take the blinders off. So long as Fords are average in class, they will not dig their way out o the hole...

Now that the Taurus is back ( in the form of a renamed 500 ), its time to get the Fusion properly slotted. That means drop the Focus and replace with the Fusion. Ford needs to find a late '90s civic equivalent to drop in the low end of the line.

A few things to consider... A 3.0 Vulcan ( @ 140HP ) motor with the current 6F50 would give this platform a proven powertrain that can be as economical as the I4 competition. THATS SIGNIFICANT. There isn't anything wrong with the rest of the car. In fact, this combo could be home run Ford is looking for. A hybrid is a necessity even if only for show.

Now that the Taurus is back ( in the form of a renamed 500 ), its time to get the Fusion properly slotted. That means drop the Focus and replace with the Fusion. Ford needs to find a late '90s civic equivalent to drop in the low end of the line.

A few things to consider... A 3.0 Vulcan ( @ 140HP ) motor with the current 6F50 would give this platform a proven powertrain that can be as economical as the I4 competition. THATS SIGNIFICANT. There isn't anything wrong with the rest of the car. In fact, this combo could be home run Ford is looking for. A hybrid is a necessity even if only for show.

You may be onto something.. Drop the Focus for the "Frankensteined" B-Car Reflex...

I know that has nothing to do with what you wrote, but now you look smarter, isn't that fun?

I'd say you have it backwards. If your going to drop one, you should drop the Fusion. You can't survive if your lowest priced car is approx. $18,000 to start with. You need the lower price point to get people into the dealers, and something younger buyers can afford.

See my post big guy, there ya go, you can calm down now, take the blue pill...

Good point...

That is why it has to be singificantly superior in most respects to all cars in its class to start to get people to take the blinders off. So long as Fords are average in class, they will not dig their way out o the hole...

And we all know that nothing screams "superior to the camcord" louder than "Taurus"!!!! The Fusion, though well executed, is probably the misfit in the lineup, imho. There really is a need for a smaller product under the Focus and then scale up the focus top-ends to fit under the Camry-killer Taurus.

And we all know that nothing screams "superior to the camcord" louder than "Taurus"!!!! The Fusion, though well executed, is probably the misfit in the lineup, imho. There really is a need for a smaller product under the Focus and then scale up the focus top-ends to fit under the Camry-killer Taurus.

Who the hell is going to spend 22K on a compact car from Ford?

The line up is fine as it is, keep in mind the lowest MSRP for a product isn't what the vast majority of them sell for.

There is plenty of room between 500/Taurus, Fusion, Focus and if/when a B-car comes out. Everyone doesn't want a huge car like the new/old Taurus/500 and the Fusion is a good alternative

That's what I'm thinking - they should aimed to put the Fusion in the thick of the Camry/Accord/Altima market.

If the mags test the Accord/Camry/Altima/Aura/Sonata/Fusion - which car has the best chance of coming in last? The Fusion.

Here is Edmunds test with the Fusion in 4th: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...10/pageId=69276

Throw the Aura XR in there and the Fusion would likely come in 5th! In it's second year!

The Fusion needs to be the mag's #1-2 choice with no excuses. Those test do influence people.

If the mags test the Accord/Camry/Altima/Aura/Sonata/Fusion - which car has the best chance of coming in last? The Fusion.

Here is Edmunds test with the Fusion in 4th: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...10/pageId=69276

Throw the Aura XR in there and the Fusion would likely come in 5th! In it's second year!

The Fusion needs to be the mag's #1-2 choice with no excuses. Those test do influence people.

Except that when Car & Driver recently tested the Saturn Aura against the current Accord and new Optima, Camry, Altima and Sebring, it came in fourth...and this is in its FIRST year.

Having sat in several Auras, and read the road tests, I'm not convinced that GM has come with a winner here. Nor has it come up with an entry that is clearly superior to the Fusion (let alone an Accord). The production models I've seen at three auto shows feature inferior build quality when compared to the Fusion.

Sections of the dashboard and console fit rather poorly, there were ragged molding lines on various plastic pieces, neither of the doors lined up properly with the dashboard (and the design of the doors only highlighted the poor fit, as they feature inserts that are supposed to flow into a matching insert on the dashboard) and the two-tone interior looked cheap, with brown "leather" seat inserts that were apparently lifted from a 1953 Kaiser Dragon.

Edited by grbeck

Except that when Car & Driver recently tested the Saturn Aura against the current Accord and new Optima, Camry, Altima and Sebring, it came in fourth...and this is in its FIRST year.
This pretty much supports what I'm saying. The Aura didn't really over deliver and shouldn't be used to benchmark the Fusion. The Aura did rank ahead of the Camry/Sebring (the Fusion ranked 4th with the Camry 1st when they were tested).

In the crowded midsize market, where would the Fusion rank if it was added to the Car and Driver comparison? I'm thinking it would battle for last place with the Sebring. That just isn't a great way to make a splash.

Edited by eddiehaskell

Don't worry, the Fusion is now going to be called the "Mustang II". That will fix everything...

Sorry....Could not resist.... ;)

I'm lobbying for the return of the Maverick. I learned to drive in a Maverick with a 200 ci straight 6 - brother even outran the police in that car by running through a corn field.

This pretty much supports what I'm saying. The Aura didn't really over deliver and shouldn't be used to benchmark the Fusion. The Aura did rank ahead of the Camry/Sebring (the Fusion ranked 4th with the Camry 1st when they were tested).

In the crowded midsize market, where would the Fusion rank if it was added to the Car and Driver comparison? I'm thinking it would battle for last place with the Sebring. That just isn't a great way to make a splash.

Yeah and that 4th place finished was netted due to the lack of: Navigation, an aux jack, sat. radio and the lack of curtain/side airbags as standard. All issues addressed in MY 07.

If C&D were to conduct a new comparo including the new Accord, you better believe the only spot that would be a given would be the first and that would be where the Accord would sit. Everything else is a wash.

The Sonata, Aura, Fusion and upcoming Malibu would probably run neck and neck. The Camry, well from what I've been hearing aside from MT most rags are less than enamored with it (including C&D). The Kia, well its underpowered and lets leave it at that.

I'd say you have it backwards. If your going to drop one, you should drop the Fusion. You can't survive if your lowest priced car is approx. $18,000 to start with. You need the lower price point to get people into the dealers, and something younger buyers can afford.

And if they can't make a profit selling the Fusion at $14-16K, then you may be right. OTOH, if they can't do what I've suggested, with the Fusion, which is really nothing, then they better get out of the car business. A Focus is not any more complex or expensive to build than the Fusion afterall.

If C&D were to conduct a new comparo including the new Accord, you better believe the only spot that would be a given would be the first and that would be where the Accord would sit. Everything else is a wash.

The Sonata, Aura, Fusion and upcoming Malibu would probably run neck and neck. The Camry, well from what I've been hearing aside from MT most rags are less than enamored with it (including C&D). The Kia, well its underpowered and lets leave it at that.

The Fusion would come in last. Sorry.

Yeah and that 4th place finished was netted due to the lack of: Navigation, an aux jack, sat. radio and the lack of curtain/side airbags as standard. All issues addressed in MY 07.

If you recall, the lack of options wasn't the Fusion's only reason for losing although they did take into consideration price also.

A few of their comments:

The Fusion lacks the contest winner's modern interior
Standard on our SEL are the 221-horsepower V6 (the lowest output of this foursome),

the Fusion's thrashy V6 engine recorded the highest decibel reading at wide-open throttle.
Conclusion

The 2006 Ford Fusion seems to be trying to be all things to all people, but doesn't really succeed in any one area. The daring exterior styling was deemed too weird or appliancelike by some, the no-nonsense interior just plain boring, and the performance was admirable, but not earth-shattering. Sure, there's that low price, but there's also a lack of content. Its warranty is good, and it's always nice to know there's roadside assistance for the three-year/36,000-mile period, but the Hyundai Sonata's got the Fusion beat there. So, where does that leave us? Fourth Place.

I don't believe the Fusion even offers stability control.

Edited by eddiehaskell

At the very least the Sonata would still be behind (the Fusion among midsize sedans), at least from my own test drives of the V6s.

I, too, have heard the new Sonata pales in comparison with the old Sonata.

But I have a hunch Hyundai will fix that, and shake things up among the bottom-ladder midsizes.

If they could make a profit with it selling in the 14-16k price point, Ford and all Fusion cheerleaders lose all credibility on the reasons given for it's assembly point.

They are making a profit on it last I heard, but I do not see your point entirely.

They make a profit on the Crown Vic, should those guys at STAP be slammed for building the car in Canada? I see this as a fair question.

I guess the point, in one sense, is: if you didn't want me to buy the Mexican-built Fusion, what would you have rather I bought? The Focus is too small for what I want. Give me an answer.