Car and Driver Reviews the Fusion

BlackHorse

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article failed to mention the Fusion is available with AWD, something not offered by the others. It also failed to mention the V6 Fusion is priced like a 4 cylinder Camry.

Range as far as I know the AWD feature is an option. This article was about a base model entry level Fusion, therefore why would it mention that? Additionally the article was not written as a head to head comparison between the Fusion and the Camry so again, why would they bother to mention price comparisons between it and the Camry? It did give the price of the car in the stats so anyone who can read this on the internet can also find out what a Camry costs right? So was there some need to point out the things you feel it needed to point out? I thought it was a fair article. Frankly I was glad to see the Fusion get some well deserved good press for a change.

Wow... 8.1 seconds to 60, that's impressive for a 4 cylinder car. 00 V6 Accord at home does 60 in ~ 8 seconds too.

Wow, that's not bad. I remember not long ago, Motor Trend reprinted one of their first tests of the 64 1/2 Mustang with the 271 HP K-code engine. This was the fastest standard production Mustang you could buy. 0-60 was 7.5 seconds.

why would they bother to mention price comparisons between it and the Camry?

Because they said this:

the Fusion offers no standout qualities that will bring Camry and Accord drivers into Ford showrooms.

That is a direct comparison with the Camry and Accord, and a somewhat inaccurate one.

Not to mention their rather snipish quibbling that the Fusion's best in class skidpad was achieved at the expense of Camry-esque refinement; said Camry coming in 5th in the aforementioned comparo, and being cited for poor handling, not praised for 'refinement.'

Taking the Source into account the Fusion must be better then I had thought. As a former long term subscriber to CD, I know well they frown on anything American and the Blue Oval in particular.

The last time they liked a Ford was the 95 Contour SE V6 5 speed. They got that right we bought one and loved it for 10 years.

Now if Ford put a 5 or 6 speed with the V6 in the AWD Fusion, They would have my order in a flash. The new Mondeo would be better, but we can only dream about that.

Sounds like the Fusion is a great car to satisfy those domestic buyers who still resist the thoughts of purchasing Japanese, however it will take some marvelous Ford sedan to appeal to those lured away to Honda or Toyota. I could see myself with a V6 Fusion as a second car and that's probably how many folks see these cars.

Personally, anything smaller than a Five-Hundred (Taurus), Accord, Camry...or a car like the Crown Vic is about as small, believe it or not, as I would want for a primary family car.

You have to experience the Fusion in person to see what a nice car it is. It's right on as far as quality and style. There is room for improvment in some areas and Ford needs to be busting their asses to make it the best in class. They also need a serious high performance sports sedan version. I don't mind that this particular vehicle is FWD and AWD. It just needs to be the best being that.

Sounds like the Fusion is a great car to satisfy those domestic buyers who still resist the thoughts of purchasing Japanese, however it will take some marvelous Ford sedan to appeal to those lured away to Honda or Toyota. I could see myself with a V6 Fusion as a second car and that's probably how many folks see these cars.

Personally, anything smaller than a Five-Hundred (Taurus), Accord, Camry...or a car like the Crown Vic is about as small, believe it or not, as I would want for a primary family car.

Ford Mondeo=problem solved, IMO. But there are 1,000,000,1 reasons why this is a bad idea. There is some type of illness in North America Ford fans regarding a stellar family sedan wearng a Ford badge. It just cannot be, and will not be.

Mediocre(def-When something is distinctly not as good as it could be) is on the menu at Ford NA.

Because they said this:

That is a direct comparison with the Camry and Accord, and a somewhat inaccurate one.

Not to mention their rather snipish quibbling that the Fusion's best in class skidpad was achieved at the expense of Camry-esque refinement; said Camry coming in 5th in the aforementioned comparo, and being cited for poor handling, not praised for 'refinement.'

Yes, exactly. I'm glad someone besides me reads these articles before commenting on them. The usual knee-jerk reaction from many around here is pretty transparant.

The other 'quality' C&D failed to mention was, ah, quality. They failed to mention that Fusion is rated higher in quality than Camry and Accord by no less than Consumer Reports and JDPower. If the results were reversed, I'm sure we'd hear about it.

But C&D's theory that the Fusion offers nothing for import buyers is proven wrong by the conquest sales the Fusion is making.

FUSION CONQUEST SALES AT 40%

"A recent Fusion buyer told me she had leased three previous Honda Accords in a row. When I asked her why she went for the Fusion, she said, 'I loved my Hondas, but the styling of the Fusion caught my eye. Then I did my research and I discovered that the Fusion is the better value.' " Collins said he's using her testimonials in handouts at the dealership because it's a great form of advertising. "

"A key competitive feature for Fusion is its all-wheel-drive option, not available on the Accord or Camry. For about $24,000, Fusion customers can purchase a V6 AWD, which is virtually the same price as a front-wheel drive Accord or Camry. "

SO, not only is C&D wrong on the facts, they are wrong on their conclusions.

Does this suprise anyone???

Is this not another example of the ingrained bias of the auto press? Their prejudices are so deep-seated, they will not let facts get in the way of their long held belief structure.

I am so F***ing sick of hearing about "refinement" from Car and Driver! Because stats and facts can't back up their conclusions they need stupid subjective terms to come up with their results. So they add "refinement" and "gotta have it" categories. They can pound the "refinement" up their ass!

Edited by atomcat68

I am so F***ing sick of hearing about "refinement" from Car and Driver! Because stats and facts can't back up their conclusions they need stupid subjective terms to come up with their results. So they add "refinement" and "gotta have it" categories. They can pound the "refinement" up their ass!

JDPower APEAL 2006 results:

Midsize Car

Highest Ranked: Ford Fusion

Volkswagen Passat

Mazda6

But C&D never let something like facts and data get in the way of their conclusions.

Edited by range

8.1 seconds 0-60 on the base model is quite good. I believe that, for the previous round of updates, the Nissan Altima 2.5 was the fastest in 0-60 times (its rather light, and that 2.L I4 put out something between 175hp and about 180 lbs of torque). The new gen model is ever so slightly more powerful and weighs ever so slightly more. When autos are compared, the nissan may be even better. Though the fusion (and camry, and accord) have 5ATs, the nissan uses a lighter CVT that's software programed to act like a 6 speed. I'm going to have to look up the 0-60s on all the base sedans in that class and see what the true results are.

Found these results:

Nissan Altima 2.5 CVT 8.0 sec even. (anecdotal for the stick is 7.7 sec)

Honda Accord 2.4L 5AT 7.9 sec even. (anecdotal for the stick is about 7.7 sec)

Toyota Camry 2.4L 5AT 9.0 sec even. (I couldn't find any anecdotal evidence about this one)

The above are from the MSN stats. Edmunds got a 9.5 from the auto accord and 10+ from the auto Camry in their three way comparo a year ago with the v6 sonata.

Just going by weight and engine power, it would seem that the Nissan would still be the fastest with the Fusion not being that far behind due to weight. I need to dig deeper into the final drive ratio of each vehicle to compare torque at the wheel to weight for each one. In my experience, that has been a very good predictor of non-ecu limited performance.

Edited by old_fairmont_wagon

I caught that "refinement" back-handed comment too. The Camry still cannot handle for anything, is only slightly quieter and certainly does not have that much better ride than the Fusion (and given the difference in skidpad, I'd expect a harder ride!). Yet the Fusion is derided as "unrefined."

In my opinion, at the I-4 level, the only thing the Fusion has going against it is its interior - and its not that bad, just not as nice as it could be. Update the interior, and you have a top-notch I-4 sedan.

Even before that, with 3000 fewer George Washington's spent on the car, you have a very good reason for import buyers to look elsewhere. If import buyers truly are the "smart" ones, then they can run the numbers in their heads and say "oh, it costs less and feels as good and has better quality...."

Of note, an accident ended the life of my parents' car early, so I gave them the short list of mid-size cars that I would recommend (Fusion, Altima, Accord, Passat). With no undue influence, they just took delivery of their I-4 Fusion SEL manual with leather, moonroof, heated seats, power everything, ABS, airbags everywhere for a little over $20k. And despite being fairly loyal to Honda cars (although they've also owned one F-series and a Suburban, because Honda doesn't make trucks that tow horse trailers), they didn't question their decision once before buying the Fusion after they drove it and saw the sticker.

I'd say there was good reason for at least one import buyer to switch.

Edited by focus05

Thats what gets me about reviews...I ran across a review on the new CX-9, which AFAIK has the same power pack as the Edge, but the engine in the CX-9 is heaped more praise on it then the same engine in the Edge. Not to mention the article states its an Aisan unit, when I think its the new Ford/GM 6F JV

One thing that I never understood in car reviews is that there is never any mention of a cars character.

The Fusion has a certain character. The Camry and Accord has been tweaked for years to try and make it fit everyone. Guess what,,,,, one vehicle will not fulfill every ones taste. Those cars are so Vanilla. Especialy the base models. Its like getting a cheap refridge for your garage. Yeah it works and yeah its trouble free. But no one will ever comment on it.

I have drove all of the above and I just have to say that the Fusion just has personality. Its fun to drive. It may not be as "refined/boring" as the Camry. But its fun to drive. Its the kind of car, on a sunny day, you roll down the windows and blast the radio and play around in. And the best part is that it wont get lost in the sea of white and tan Accords and Camrys in the Target parking lot.

To each his own...

just my 2 cents

Thats what gets me about reviews...I ran across a review on the new CX-9, which AFAIK has the same power pack as the Edge, but the engine in the CX-9 is heaped more praise on it then the same engine in the Edge. Not to mention the article states its an Aisan unit, when I think its the new Ford/GM 6F JV

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=92

Sorry, I can't get the CX-9 specs but I think your right. The engine is bulit in Lima for Mazda. The 5A for the Fusion I4, CX-7 and M3 are the same.

The difference in measurements between CX-7, Edge and CX-9 (smallest to largest) is minimal. Sure the 9 seats 7 but is it really practical? I wish the rags would say that. Much like speakers that go to eleven.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=92

Sorry, I can't get the CX-9 specs but I think your right. The engine is bulit in Lima for Mazda. The 5A for the Fusion I4, CX-7 and M3 are the same.

The difference in measurements between CX-7, Edge and CX-9 (smallest to largest) is minimal. Sure the 9 seats 7 but is it really practical? I wish the rags would say that. Much like speakers that go to eleven.

The CX-7 has a 6 speed auto not a 5.

8.1 seconds 0-60 on the base model is quite good. I believe that, for the previous round of updates, the Nissan Altima 2.5 was the fastest in 0-60 times (its rather light, and that 2.L I4 put out something between 175hp and about 180 lbs of torque). The new gen model is ever so slightly more powerful and weighs ever so slightly more. When autos are compared, the nissan may be even better. Though the fusion (and camry, and accord) have 5ATs, the nissan uses a lighter CVT that's software programed to act like a 6 speed. I'm going to have to look up the 0-60s on all the base sedans in that class and see what the true results are.

Found these results:

Nissan Altima 2.5 CVT 8.0 sec even. (anecdotal for the stick is 7.7 sec)

Honda Accord 2.4L 5AT 7.9 sec even. (anecdotal for the stick is about 7.7 sec)

Toyota Camry 2.4L 5AT 9.0 sec even. (I couldn't find any anecdotal evidence about this one)

The above are from the MSN stats. Edmunds got a 9.5 from the auto accord and 10+ from the auto Camry in their three way comparo a year ago with the v6 sonata.

Just going by weight and engine power, it would seem that the Nissan would still be the fastest with the Fusion not being that far behind due to weight. I need to dig deeper into the final drive ratio of each vehicle to compare torque at the wheel to weight for each one. In my experience, that has been a very good predictor of non-ecu limited performance.

The CX-7 has a 6 speed auto not a 5.

Sorry, your right.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...amp;make_id=227

Comparing the ratios between the CX-7 and the Fusion is a difference of a tenth so it is safe to say they share the Aisin unit.

I haven't heard of any news stating there'd be a different 6F (other then the GM/Ford unit) in the CX-9.

Ergo, I conclude C&D is lazy in their research and assumed. That will mislead readers to believe that Mazda would never place a GM/Ford transmission in their products. To do that would be sacrelige...except the Tribute of course yet I feel people overall have a short-term memory and will forget that one.

Edited by Hugh

ok guys, just some thoughts from a ford fan. weather we like it or not the honda and toyota is the bench mark.

it seems to me if ford decides to target a car such as the accord, they should first get thier hands on the accord, and do everything that makes the ford better in every way, before they release the car. is that so wrong? i mean everything to include the interior. but ford seams to just throw out a car, knowing that it isnt the best. you cant blame the buyer for buying what they think is the best. at 20,000+, per car, that is alot of money. i am very worried about ford right now. so many issues, hitting them right now. i really hope they can recover. i was in detroit for a meeting, and all people were talking about was toyota, moving into michigan.not about ford or gm. again just some thoughts.