2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Blue Oval Guide

ive taken that into account. the 4th model year has begun, after that the only one that wont have been reality is the 45th anniversary model, and thats model year 5.

of course, that part of my argument is moot if they dont do the Boss or Bullitt after all but its sure not looking that way.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be making the Mustang of tomorrow not yesterday.

But thats a whole nother issue right there...how far do you push it? Ford has been doing the Retro thing with the Mustang since 1994, got away from it in 99 or so and went back to it in 2005. Hey I'm only 32 yrs old and I love the way the current Mustang looks...it offers everything that one from the 1960's does with todays amenities and safety features. If today's Mustang looked like a Probe or even like the Mid-1980's Mustangs (which really didn't look like a "mustang" to a point) I don't think I would have been attracted to the car as much.

Why mess with something that works? But also Ford seems like they want to move the Mustang into the 21st century with offering a TT 3.5L V6 as a performance option. They have to find the right balance of moving it forward while staying with its roots...

Why mess with something that works? But also Ford seems like they want to move the Mustang into the 21st century with offering a TT 3.5L V6 as a performance option. They have to find the right balance of moving it forward while staying with its roots...

To what extent is the Mustang the "roots" of Ford? Why isn't the Model A or Model T the roots? Why isn't the 32 Deuce Coupe the roots? Why isn't the 50's era Thunderbird the roots? Maybe all of these and more are the roots at the same time. But then Ford isn't currently building a modern day look alike of any of these and when they tried with the T-Bird they overpriced and underpowered it. I understand the appeal of the retro-stang. I may not personally like it, but I understand it. But is it gimmicky? Is it going to lose it's appeal in another year or so. The Ford lot here that could barely keep a Mustang on the lot in 2005 is now inundated with them. It's appeal has begun to wane. In a couple of years I fear it's popularity will plummet. We all recall the immense popularity of the PT Cruiser when first it arrived on the scene. Look at it now. It's sales have plummeted to a paltry level. I don't think it will be a situation where a minor refresh will invigorate new life into the car. I think they will be faced with having to put a completely different body design on it as early as 2011. What will they use then, the Mustang II look? lol Here is the thing that should really worry you Mustang guys. Will they finally say "Well, it was good while it lasted." and cancel the line? They came close to doing this before as we all know. Will they arrive at that conclusion again. Will some corporate exec even throw his philosophical perspective on it and say something clever like "Well, the car has come full circle and now it's time to end it."

But is it gimmicky? Is it going to lose it's appeal in another year or so. The Ford lot here that could barely keep a Mustang on the lot in 2005 is now inundated with them. It's appeal has begun to wane. In a couple of years I fear it's popularity will plummet.

Gee, maybe in a couple of years, Ford will bring out a new one?

Putting that into perspective the body design before this lasted for over ten years and the one before that for fourteen years. We are in the 3rd year on this body design.

Not quite...the Mustang had styling changes from 1979 till 1987 or so when it went stagnate for the most part

The 1994-1998 Models styled pretty much the same besides new taillights for the 96+ models

The 99 was totally new from the greenhouse down (yuck)...the style more or less stayed the same with the deletion/addition of boyracer bits on it till 2004

The 05-06 where generally unchanged, the 07 introed a somewhat tacky looking hood scoop on some GT models...the V6 got fogs lights

The 09 or 10 MY will have updates to the styling...

Lets concentrate on the steak and not the peas.

94 to 04 was the same basic car, anyone can see that. Additionally 79 to 93 were the same basic car as well.

Which in no way indicates that the 05 will be the same car as the 16. In fact, I'd say there's no chance at all of the Mustang continuing on its past refresh cycle. Take a look at the Corvette for comparison, one of the few vehicles as old as the Mustang that is still on the market. The C3 ran from 1967 to 1983. C4 ran from 1984 to 1996. Now we hear that GM is already planning to launch the C7 in only a few more years, making the C6 the shortest generation of Corvette ever. Things just don't last as long on the market as they used to...unless you're a Panther or Ranger. :doh:

Not quite...the Mustang had styling changes from 1979 till 1987 or so when it went stagnate for the most part

The 1994-1998 Models styled pretty much the same besides new taillights for the 96+ models

The 99 was totally new from the greenhouse down (yuck)...the style more or less stayed the same with the deletion/addition of boyracer bits on it till 2004

The 05-06 where generally unchanged, the 07 introed a somewhat tacky looking hood scoop on some GT models...the V6 got fogs lights

The 09 or 10 MY will have updates to the styling...

And on top of all those "changes", Ford still had some TERRIBLE years with the Mustang with the Fox and SN95. So, this is Ford learning from their past mistakes. The Mustang brand name was powerful enough to survive some absolutely dreadful years... why wouldn't it thrive with a competitive vehicle?

All of which brings us back to the point of, what will Ford do when they are faced with having to put a completely different body style on the Mustang? Will they do it, or will they cancel the car altogether?

shhhhhhhhhh, I heard the next body style change makes the current car look like a LUMP how accurate the source is i don't know but apparently they have veiwed it.....inside scoop.....it WON"T be cancelled....car is way too much of an icon....

NO, the real beef is that this is the product Ford wants to build the brand on, instead of ANY other image.

Yeah, it's such a terrible thing to have a brand image based on probably THE most well known name ever placed on a vehicle in the US. :rolleyes:

Tell me, what is GM's brand image, what is Chrysler's brand image? I can't tell you, but I'm sure you will come up with something.

Anyway, based on this thread, it's nice to see the interest in the Mustang, whether positive or negative, is at such a high level. Consider these "spy photos" as free advertisement for Ford and it's brand image. Keep in mind, even if the car pictured is a Boss or Mach 1, it doesn't mean it's the be all end all of Mustangs to come. It doesn't mean that Ford won't build a better special edition Mustang in the future, utilizing the same name.

These pictures have been circulating for years, my guess is Ford thought about making Boss a decal package but went back to the drawing board. These are really nothing to get all pissy about, Alan Mullay said recently that he's going to be cutting down the outrageous number of options and packages for the Mustang among other cars (I think the article mentioned the Econoline). Besides, everything and everyone who knows seems to be pointing to something special with the new Boss (if it comes).

So there's my input, you can all go back to debating the philosphical implications of a world that has sports cars recalling past times with modern engines and details that interestingly enough place them sqaurely in this day and age.

By the way...who mentioned the twinforce coming in the 'stang? Is this a sure thing?

All of which brings us back to the point of, what will Ford do when they are faced with having to put a completely different body style on the Mustang? Will they do it, or will they cancel the car altogether?

They didn't cancel it in 1974. Or 1979. Or 1994. Or 2005. It will go on.

It's almost definite that the next gen Mustang will be a platform-mate with other vehicles, which means production feasibility becomes all the easier when you are not as constrained by mandatory production volume. Will the Mustang continue to sell 120,000+ units a year? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But in the next generation, that likely won't be as important.

It's almost definite that the next gen Mustang will be a platform-mate with other vehicles,

Really, which platform did you have in mind? Aside from the crown vic Ford doesn't have any other RWD car chassis and I don't think they will put the Mustang on so large a chassis as that. Maybe they'll share platforms with the RX8? That might be kinda cool. Just supplant the rotary engine with a Ford piston engine if such a configuration could work in that car.

Well, how about this. We know what a Boss Mustang shouldn't be. What SHOULD it be?

I posted this awhile ago. Ford's engineers for the 2009 Mustang should get together with SVT and Shelby, and develop a variant of the Mustang architecture. It starts with a plain-jane Mustang GT. Start with some serious weight reductions. Aluminum and carbon fibers parts should be used wherever possible. The goal will be 50/50 weight distribution combined with an extremely tight suspension setup.

For the Boss 350, the motor should be the 425hp TwinForce V6 mated with a 6-speed manual transmission. Nice big 18" rims, plenty of matte black carbon fiber tack-ons (function hood scoop, spoiler, louvers) and decals should be available as dealer accesories, but not standard equipment on the package. Should retail for about $38,000 before options. Should have luxury options available on a normal Mustang if the buyers wants it, but also have equipment delete options (radio, A/C, etc...).

Where it get sick is the Shelby GT350. Take the Boss package, and toss in an even further boosted Twin Force V6 (say, 450-460hp) mated with a 6-speed DSG gearbox. Rear seats are ripped out, and front seats are replaced with Recaros. 18" lightweight rims, suspension tightened and lowered even further. Basic stuff stays (radio, AC), but nothing beyond the amenities available in a B-Car. Should sticker for around $50,000.

Well, how about this. We know what a Boss Mustang shouldn't be. What SHOULD it be?

I posted this awhile ago. Ford's engineers for the 2009 Mustang should get together with SVT and Shelby, and develop a variant of the Mustang architecture. It starts with a plain-jane Mustang GT. Start with some serious weight reductions. Aluminum and carbon fibers parts should be used wherever possible. The goal will be 50/50 weight distribution combined with an extremely tight suspension setup.

For the Boss 350, the motor should be the 425hp TwinForce V6 mated with a 6-speed manual transmission. Nice big 18" rims, plenty of matte black carbon fiber tack-ons (function hood scoop, spoiler, louvers) and decals should be available as dealer accesories, but not standard equipment on the package. Should retail for about $38,000 before options. Should have luxury options available on a normal Mustang if the buyers wants it, but also have equipment delete options (radio, A/C, etc...).

Where it get sick is the Shelby GT350. Take the Boss package, and toss in an even further boosted Twin Force V6 (say, 450-460hp) mated with a 6-speed DSG gearbox. Rear seats are ripped out, and front seats are replaced with Recaros. 18" lightweight rims, suspension tightened and lowered even further. Basic stuff stays (radio, AC), but nothing beyond the amenities available in a B-Car. Should sticker for around $50,000.

Well, let me just tell ya as a Mustang GT owner, no twin turbo v-6 as a Mustang performance car especially a Boss Mustang. Mustang is all about heritage and v-8 muscle. Remember the SVO? And get rid of this Shelby this and Shelby that. Bring back SVT in name and performance marketing. 5.4 v-8 or the new Boss engine (please use this name).

This is coming from not only a Mustang enthusiast but also a Mustang owner that shows his opinion with his pocket book.

Well, let me just tell ya as a Mustang GT owner, no twin turbo v-6 as a Mustang performance car especially a Boss Mustang. Mustang is all about heritage and v-8 muscle. Remember the SVO? And get rid of this Shelby this and Shelby that. Bring back SVT in name and performance marketing. 5.4 v-8 or the new Boss engine (please use this name).

This is coming from not only a Mustang enthusiast but also a Mustang owner that shows his opinion with his pocket book.

Ok, that's cool, everyone has their take on what a Mustang should or shouldn't be. Personally I thought the V6 thing was kinda cool. Also I would remind you that if cars stuck to their "heritage" the Corvette would still be sporting and inline 6 motor and the Mustang would still have 4 wheel drum brakes. So it all depends on where you draw the line at heritage. Lets also not forget that as long as we are bringing back the SVT performance that once upon a time there as a 4 cylinder SVT Mustang that was a pretty stout little car and is in fact becoming quite a collectors item.