Ford reports May 2007 Sales

For the first time ever, since the Ford drop in sales began, I'm actually about to defend the numbers here. First let me say Pcsario just jumped on his usual band wagon and didn't really look at the numbers. What's really down here? The 500 and Freestyle are down a 52 and 57% respectively. Why? Aren't they about to release the brand new Taurus / Taurus X? Couldn't that be a factor? We all remember how the sales numbers of the Mustang dropped out the bottom in 2004 becaue the new Stang was coming out in 2005. I think the drop there is just indicative of the fact that it's a model on the way out and nobody want's to buy the last of them. The 4% drop in Fusion sales, meh, it's nothing really. From 14 thousand nine something to 14 thousand two something is just a bump really. It's 700 cars over the course or however many nations they sell the Fusion in. It's nothing really. The only number that's really worth some note is the drop in F150 sales, down some 11%. I suspect it's probably due to the fact that gas is at record highs but who knows. The truck market is going through some restructuring all over the place because they aren't as popular as once they were across the whole spectrum.

You have to factor the two big down 100% figures for both the Thunderbird and GT because the lines ended. Then Jag is down 41% and I don't know enough about Jag to say what happened to cause that. Meanwhile Mercury and Lincoln are both up respectively. Despite all of that, the entire company as a whole was only down 6.8%. One wonders how much it would be down if Mazda were figured into these numbers. At any rate, I don't see that as a big problem. The two 100% numbers alone were going to wreak havoc on the percentage numbers but you can't even look at those as viable to be fair. So I think if pcsario would really take an educated look at these numbers he would find that in reality Ford had about an even month. It was flat. The 27% increase in Expedition sales really surprised me. I'm not even going to consider the increase in Edge sales to be viable as it's only been on the lots for a short time. We'll have to wait and see how popular it really is. Personally I don't think it's doing so well, the Ford lot here always has a generous supply on hand and that wouldn't be happening if it were some immensely popular vehicle.

So, all things figured I think Ford didn't really do that badly this month. This may actually be near the apex of the turn around point. We might actually start to see positive figures from here on.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good...

I was impressed that the Edge and MKX did so well and was amazed the the Mariner/Escape did so well. I have noticed around here that the Mariner is quite popular with women. They typically do not pay that much attention to things like HP/Torue and number of gears. Ford did a good job of advertising to this market and it shows in the sales numbers...

If you consider how many Fleet sales Ford abanoned, the numbers look promising. It is not all roses yet, but the key models showed the kind of sales numbers that they needed. It made me more optimistic that Ford will be able to just skirt around bankrupcy. Lets just hope that there is not a big weather even this summer/fall to derail the progress...

Thinking about buying some Ford stock again.... ;)

One day you really need to pull your head out of your ass.

Well, im not a 'DCK' at least, and never personally attacked. Anyway, your rep speaks for itself, attacking people is low. Couldnt care less what some stranger on the net thinks.

Anyway, most of the predictions of 'flops' were wrong, and DCX is NOT the 'only car company in Detroit that knows what it is doing" Oh and the Corolla doesnt compete with Edge. The cost problems are well known, but people were claiming the Focus would die off this year, not happened. BTW, it is easy to sell Corollas sicne they have rebates and low % also.

Edited by 630land

ROFL... so pointing out you need to reconsider things is a personal attack?

Buddy do a search for "dumbass", "idiot", "moron", etc.

Real insults. Who are the ones making them?

child-nike-goggles-009.jpg

All the intolerant cheerleaders here trying to silence any kind of criticism 24/7.

Anyway, Focus sales ended up with like 30% fleet sales last year, now that the Taurus is out things may be even worse.

But of course... a 4% sales increase obviously means Ford played their cards right and are cashing in!

And you complain when someone questions your "enthusiastic" preachings? :rolleyes:

Edited by pcsario

Canadin May sales (B/C class)

May '07...

8,903 Civic!

5,985 Mazda3

5,500 Corolla

5,134 Yaris

4,121 Cobalt

3,232 G5 Pursuit

2,902 Matrix

2,820 Versa (1,882 hatches, 938 sedans)

2,635 Focus

2,109 Caliber

1,643 Fit

1,527 Golf/Rabbit (excl 192 GTI)

1,361 Aveo

1,352 Vibe

1,125 Wave

1,008 Sentra

797 Lancer

764 Impreza

519 SX4

Canadin May sales (B/C class)

May '07...

8,903 Civic!

5,985 Mazda3

5,500 Corolla

5,134 Yaris

4,121 Cobalt

3,232 G5 Pursuit

2,902 Matrix

2,820 Versa (1,882 hatches, 938 sedans)

2,635 Focus

2,109 Caliber

1,643 Fit

1,527 Golf/Rabbit (excl 192 GTI)

1,361 Aveo

1,352 Vibe

1,125 Wave

1,008 Sentra

797 Lancer

764 Impreza

519 SX4

I still don't get why Mazda does so much better in Canada than the US. Wild! Focus sure is a dud up north though.

Look in the april sales thread, that's where that figure was mentioned.

Richard even came up with some spin to justify Ford's desperation.

Bullshit...you said this in another thread and there wasn't any info to back up your claim in that thread!

Canadian Midsize May sales

3,142 Camry

1,820 Accord

1,760 300/300C

1,753 Fusion

1,654 G6

1,575 Jetta (City and MkV)

1,501 Altima (only 282 were V6's)

1,380 Impala

1,343 Allure

1,316 Charger

1,291 Sonata

1,040 Malibu

728 Mazda6

537 Legacy (incl Outback)

516 Sebring sedan

380 Grand Prix

338 AURA

164 Five Hundred/Taurus

I already addressed that.

You did? All I read was that you made a claim. Someone challenged it. Then you said ...but others here have already backed up your claim.

I have not read anyone in this thread backing your statement. Not from your post with your claim through to the follow up post about others backing your statement.

I guess you did address it. But not with an answer as you imply.

Peace and Blessings

Fragmented info, such is the way of the negatard.

Throw in the "there was a thread, and others saw it" approach to defending your information, and you may just as well pull a "Clinton" and hold up everything defining "is".

Although, I gotta ask: when you spin that much, is the music more "Dancing Queen" styled pop, "Breakfast in Vegas" type techno, or maybe a classic waltz? All that spinning really should have music playing....

Those are not full year numbers.

Irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion. For starters I never stated myself as the source, and IIRC, you validated the user that posted them that time, not me.

We're also in the middle of the year, so even if they're not for the full year, for the purpose of this discussion, they serve to prove the 17-18% fleet percentage for April (which AGAIN wasn't given by me) shouldn't be THAT hard to believe by an audience that still deludes itself into thinking it's just ~10%.

Hell, I'm willing to bet the Camry, mocked here for its fleet sales, has a lower % of fleet sales than the Fusion.

Edited by pcsario

They're selling CD3's at a rate of 250,000 a year in the US. How many are they selling a month in the rest of the world? Aren't they running the factory at full capacity without building up inventories?

+/- 1,500 /month in Brazil

Well, im not a 'DCK' at least, and never personally attacked. Anyway, your rep speaks for itself, attacking people is low. Couldnt care less what some stranger on the net thinks.

Anyway, most of the predictions of 'flops' were wrong, and DCX is NOT the 'only car company in Detroit that knows what it is doing" Oh and the Corolla doesnt compete with Edge. The cost problems are well known, but people were claiming the Focus would die off this year, not happened. BTW, it is easy to sell Corollas sicne they have rebates and low % also.

I am giving you advice and not insulting you when I say take your head out of your ass, because you truly have it up their, and i didn't say the edge competes with the corolla, I actually praised the edge sales as fantastic in my previous post and in the post you quoted I said it was doing great.

When Ford loses thousands on the focus to move it off the lot, but yet you praise their sales and use low financing on the corolla to bash toyota, but you don't have your head up your ass? The focus is far cheaper than the corolla and has way more incentives.

Irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion. For starters I never stated myself as the source, and IIRC, you validated the user that posted them that time, not me.

We're also in the middle of the year, so even if they're not for the full year, for the purpose of this discussion, they serve to prove the 17-18% fleet percentage for April (which AGAIN wasn't given by me) shouldn't be THAT hard to believe by an audience that still deludes itself into thinking it's just ~10%.

Hell, I'm willing to bet the Camry, mocked here for its fleet sales, has a lower % of fleet sales than the Fusion.

Well, you are using the source as firm evidence for your position. And that is no real big issue on its own. But no one has spoken up to agree that it took place, though it likely did. But I am not sure your memory serves you perfectly in the numbers.

And earlier you stated 20%, but now it is 17%-18%? Whether for month, season, or year, 20% is not great, but it is not unhealthy either. I imagine rentals and fleets buy a significant # for spring and with new year budgets compared to any other time or season so a monthly jump means nothing. Overall #'s are what matters. So maybe your fudging it a little to prove a point that just may not be there to be prooven. At least not yet?

I have read any number of times down the years that 12% to 15% fleet sales is an extremely healthy fleet sales number. Personally, as long as Ford keeps Fusion/Taurus fleet sales under 20% and the volume is significant I would be very happy. Under 15% would make me ecstatic.

Your statements get picked at because you use inflammatory terms with regard to others. Richard 'spinning' the story. Call others 'intolerant'. And use the 'you guys' type statements. All to declare people on the opposite side of you as irrational or not realistic.

So it just does not make a lot of sense if you see where I am coming from.

Regardless, Peace and Blessings

You mean you don't actually know what the fleet sales percentage is for the Camry? I would have thought that someone who espouses to be so well versed on the midsize sedan market would have looked that up by now. I mean you're so smart about why the Camry is this and the Fusion is that, but you don't even know what percentage of the Camries go to fleet. What exactly would you like to see Ford do here pcsario? Would you have them completely scrap the Fusion line after what two years of production? Start over with something completely new because the Fusion didn't come out of the gate and whip the Camry in sales numbers the first year? Yeah that's cost effective, that's logical. :finger: Since were in the mood to compare Toyotas to Fords lets compare Toyotas answer to the Mustang and see how well it's selling. Wait a minute? Wait just a damn minute? :headscratch: Gee I don't seem to see that car around here anywhere. Oh wait I know, we'll compare Toyotas venerable Tundra sales to the F-150 how about that? Oh my goodness the F-150 thrashes the Tundra in sales figures. Go figure. Wait, wait, I know what you're going to say. It's only because the ignorant public hasn't figured out how great the Tundra is yet right? Give them time to realize that the Tundra is a great truck, just don't afford them the same time with respect to the Fusion right? In just about every car company there is a given model that is a great seller for them. At Toyota that car is the Camry and guess what, it's well earned becasue in my estimation the Camry is a really solid car with a good deal of refinement and a respectable price tag. It has years worth of built up reputation amidst the buying public that keeps people buying it. I don't know what your favorite car company is but I'm sure it has a sales leader. Right now the only thing keeping me from buying a Fusion is the stereo, an aspect of the car I am told they are in the process of changing for the 08 model. Aside from that it is every bit as good as any Camry and from a reliability point of view quite possibly better. Once they change out that stereo panel, I'm there, probably in a hybrid model. Maybe a lot of other people too. But just because the car isn't out there pummeling the Toyota Camry does not mean that it is not a good car or that it's not every bit as good as a Camry.

Edited by BlackHorse

I would never have guessed that the Tundra's success would come at the expense of the F-150

The Tundra to me is a Dodge Ram knock-off, and therefore I would have predicted that its increases would have come at the expense of the Ram. Not true! Ram up, GM up, Chevy Up, Tundra way up, Ford down, Nissan way down. I can only logically say that the success of the others is coming at the expense of the F-series.

Ford has got to stop using that housing market excuse, since all the real players in the market are up except them.

Going to have to pull some kind of magic or else loose that sales crown this year! Definitely next year!

From Business Week - The New Heat on Ford

When Mulally was reviewing the company's 2008 product line last September, for example, he was told that Ford loses close to $3,000 every time a customer buys a Focus compact, according to one executive. "Why haven't you figured out a way to make a profit?" he asked. Executives explained that Ford needed the high sales volume to maintain the company's CAFE, or corporate average fuel economy, rating and that the plant that makes the car is a high-cost UAW factory in Michigan.

If this is the case, does that mean Ford lost $63.8 Million last month on 21,269 Focus sales?

A product that relistically loses is a major red Flag.

Time for another Mexican plant.

Edited by jpd80

If this is the case, does that mean Ford lost $63.8 Million last month on 21,269 Focus sales?

So it would appear. Unfortunately, back in the recent glory days, Ford was riding high on a hog the size of Fred the hog down here in Alabama by selling Explorers, F150's and Expeditions, none of which are known for their fuel efficiency. This I believe has to be one of their leading agendas in their turnaround, they have to make more fuel efficient vehicles and so far it appears they are trying to do that.

Edited by BlackHorse