Incredibly Good Focus Review!

LSFan00

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love for the rags to get a hold of a plain-jane as well as the ST versions of the C1 Focus, and do a head to head against the big players here, including our Focus, to see how it compares.

I can already hear complaints about the boring styling, average interior, and high cost.

I'd love for the rags to get a hold of a plain-jane as well as the ST versions of the C1 Focus, and do a head to head against the big players here, including our Focus, to see how it compares.

I can already hear complaints about the boring styling, average interior, and high cost.

goddamn the best selling car in europe, the Civic is not even in the same league, corolla not even close , and you are telling me people would buy the boring corolla or civic over the boring Focus? people in europe and everywhere else do. low self esteem.

goddamn the best selling car in europe, the Civic is not even in the same league, corolla not even close , and you are telling me people would buy the boring corolla or civic over the boring Focus? people in europe and everywhere else do. low self esteem.

Yeah, and the same was true of the last Focus. Blew both of them out of the water, but didn't sell even close.

American tastes are different. The Corolla is the ultimate grandma-mobile, and the Civic is the ultimate punk-mobile, and a boring Focus isn't going to sway those buyers.

I do not know. I watch a lot of Top Gear (seen that segment before as well), and while Jeremy Clarkson just butchers all American-made-and-designed cars (from the Cadillac XLR to the Ford Mustang), he does seem to generally like European Ford products. He even owned one! A Ford GT.

And there we have it, unsolicited testimony from someone who knows. The C1 Focus is just not that much better than the C170 Focus. Is it better, well, gol'durn it, it oughta be--it's newer! Is is enough better to solve all of Ford's compact car problems in one fell swoop? No. Is it enough better to outsell the Civic and Corolla? Don't make me laugh. Is it saddled with incredibly forgettable styling? You better believe it.

You ain't gonna come close to fixing Ford's NA problems by bringing over some souped up Focus, selling it to the five or six people in each state that reeeeeeeealllly want one, and then listening to them say, "'bout time Ford did what I want!" for the next 10-15 years.

Edited by RichardJensen

Argh I am so sick of this.

You guys are freaking overrating the C1 Focus. I freaking own one (standard though) and it's not really that cool.

Heck I would have bought the 08 American Focus over this European Focus (Ugly >> Bland)

Burn the heathen! :finger: :finger: :finger:

If Mazda can make a hatchback 3, which most would agree is one of the coolest and undeniably most well appointed compact cars on the road right now, then there's no reason Ford can't make a similar hatchback with the Focus. I think now so much negative press has been attributed to the American Ford Focus that it might be best to drop the name altogether and bring out a new compact under a different name.

If it's a manual ST, ship it. I'll pick it up at customs.

My Focus ZTS stickered over $19,000 four years ago, and it wasn't even fully loaded. Didn't have the moonroof, and a couple of other small options.

Nope. 15" w/hubcaps and the coarse 1.6L Duratec.

That's the C1 Focus for you Americans. (Oh yea 4-spd Automatic too)

Edited by LincolnFan

Gawd, here we go with the never ending C170 Vs C1 debate.

The rest of the world is happy with the C1 but it's predecessor, the C170 was no slouch either.

I've not see the Americanised C170 for 2008 but I'm sure it won't disappoint it target buyers.

Just picture a 2.3 Turbo in your 2008 Focus - same thing.

look gas prices are pretty bad, and im looking for something to replace my 12 mpg(at best) F-150, so im looking at the small or compact car market and everything is boring except for the EVO, if they sold that focus ST here i would most likely get it, or just drive like a granny in my truck which hurts for me to do

And there we have it, unsolicited testimony from someone who knows. The C1 Focus is just not that much better than the C170 Focus. Is it better, well, gol'durn it, it oughta be--it's newer! Is is enough better to solve all of Ford's compact car problems in one fell swoop? No. Is it enough better to outsell the Civic and Corolla? Don't make me laugh. Is it saddled with incredibly forgettable styling? You better believe it.

You ain't gonna come close to fixing Ford's NA problems by bringing over some souped up Focus, selling it to the five or six people in each state that reeeeeeeealllly want one, and then listening to them say, "'bout time Ford did what I want!" for the next 10-15 years.

Oh, puh-lease, Jensen. Even you can't have a case of tunnel vision that bad. One unhappy owner does not a bad car make. Not with the myriad of great reviews the car has received from the Euro automotive press. No offense to LincolnFan, but I'm more inclined to believe them than you.

I never said it's a bad car but people think that importing it will solve all of Fords problems and shit.

I think I posted some pics of my Focus but they were too pathetic (old cell), I got a new K800i with a 3.2 MP camera if you guys want to but seriously you people are freaking giving too much credit.

Oh, puh-lease, Jensen. Even you can't have a case of tunnel vision that bad. One unhappy owner does not a bad car make. Not with the myriad of great reviews the car has received from the Euro automotive press. No offense to LincolnFan, but I'm more inclined to believe them than you.

Oh puh-lease CarShark. Even you can't be so misguided as to think that the STANDARD FOCUS (not the ST or RS or whatever) is so much better than the C170 Focus, that it would provide any real boost to Focus sales. Whatever "ooooo it's from Europe" press it got would be suffocated by the yawns of the buying public, who buy Toyotas whenever they don't want to make a statement with the kind of car they drive.

The C1 Focus is boring, except for the souped up editions that sell in absolutely insignificant quantities to the kind of noise makers that show up on these boards.

And, friend CarShark: All those journalists were FURNISHED test cars they DIDN'T pay for.

I'll take the word of a PAYING CUSTOMER over a JOURNALIST any day.

Just my 2 cents:

If the C1 is anything like the Mazda 3 and the Volvo S40 in build, fit and finish, handling and reliability. I would say IMHO the C1 is better then the C170. I never said the C170 was crap because it's not. It's lighter and better handling then the Mazda 3 (get some Mazdaspeed suspension parts on a Mazda 3 GT...now your talking) only because the C category has gotten larger. When it comes to looks, I'll take the bland C1 over the I don't know what of the 2008 C170. Mazda 3 is too 'Gamer' for me, Volvo is too expensive, Honda is okay for a space egg but the interior doesn't work for me with the IP. Corolla: No thank you. No guts, bloated like it's a balloon going to float away. I forgot the Rabbit and it's too expensive and the 5 cylinder is a little more thristy then the others. Here and where I am been posted, it's a difference.

I guess I'll look for a 2007 ZX3 and see if I can get some ST parts for it. If the 2005-07's had the 2008 interior...SOLD!

Edited by Hugh

While it would be great to have common platforms across the globe, that is not feasable.

Most parts supply are long term and unless North America was to take up the EUCD

mid sized platform as well, (meaning that the D3 Taurus would have to give way to a

Mondeo derivative) the scales of economy aren't there. So much upheval in models,

parts suppliers and developing regional styles is both time consuming and

counter productive in the extreme.

What people are missing is that Ford NA knows what the C1 is like so surely,

armed with this information, they have developed the 2008 Focus to have

similar ride/handling attributes as the C1 but with the added advantage of local styling.

Why not give your 2008 Focus a chance, it's a good effort and might really surprise everyone.

Edited by jpd80

Why not give your 2008 Focus a chance, it's a good effort and might really surprise everyone.

Yeah I've seen the new Focus, in person even, up close and personal at a recent car show. No chance!! It's fine from the front end but they should have kept a hatchback option. The sedan look just comes off as cheap looking. Everything from the B Pillar back was a complete turn off for me. The interior was vastly improved over the previous Focus however, so that was one good thing. But I wouldn't buy one. no way. They should have kept the hatchback option. This new Focus would probably look pretty damned good as a 5 door hatch.

Oh puh-lease CarShark. Even you can't be so misguided as to think that the STANDARD FOCUS (not the ST or RS or whatever) is so much better than the C170 Focus, that it would provide any real boost to Focus sales. Whatever "ooooo it's from Europe" press it got would be suffocated by the yawns of the buying public, who buy Toyotas whenever they don't want to make a statement with the kind of car they drive.
Better than the sound of uncontrollable vomiting when they see the actual NA facelift, and continued drops in sales that I predict.

The C1 Focus is boring, except for the souped up editions that sell in absolutely insignificant quantities to the kind of noise makers that show up on these boards.
Your opinion, which I'm sure is terribly clouded by your misguided belief that Ford is right in every decision they ever make. EVER.

And, friend CarShark: All those journalists were FURNISHED test cars they DIDN'T pay for.
Don't care. They drove them just the same. Sat in the same seats. Saw the same interiors. All improvements, they said. The same can't be said for the facelift. Not even close.

And Jensen, don't call me "friend". I'm not your friend. With a friend like you, who would need enemies?

I'll take the word of a PAYING CUSTOMER over a JOURNALIST any day.
I won't. Not with so many journalists saying it's good and only one owner saying it's not. It just fits your argument

Better than the sound of uncontrollable vomiting when they see the actual NA facelift, and continued drops in sales that I predict.

Your opinion, which I'm sure is terribly clouded by your misguided belief that Ford is right in every decision they ever make. EVER.

1) It is rather amusing that you at one and the same time a) make a reference to 'uncontrollable vomiting' and then b ) dismiss something I say as being nothing more than 'my opinion'.

2) I never said that keeping C170 was the right thing to do. Quite to the contrary. Ford saved some money short term by keeping C170, even as they created long term problems.

Do not interpret my failure to clamor for C1 as proof that I consider the decision to keep C170 well-advised.

Instead, I believe that having committed to C170, reneging and importing C1 would do nothing more than compound folly.

I know that this just doesn't sit well with you 'all or nothing' types, but then again, that's probably why you're on this board ranting, and not actually working for Ford in any decision making capacity.

Edited by RichardJensen