Taurus gets $500 incentives

Eh...$500 is rather insignificant really. You're talking about 2% of the roughly average transaction price. With the car's return, it might take something like this to get consumers to notice that it's back and ALL-NEW. The other thing that might help are some COMMERCIALS. I've yet to see one damn Taurus commercial. Way to go, Ford.

Why is Ford NOT promoting this product? Seriously. I've seen them in the lots. They look fantastic. WHERE ARE THE COMMERCIALS? Get your act together, Ford. I thought you would have learned something when the Fusion went through this same problem.

The black Taurus I saw at Jack Safro a few weeks ago. Still there. Now there's a sharp silver Taurus next to it. Ford really needs to promote.

Edited by SVT_MAN

I think this is the difference between rentals of the Fusion and Ford's vehicles of the past like the Taurus or Crown Victoria. Did anyone ever rent a Taurus and say "I liked" anything about it? At least with a solid product like the Fusion, IF someone happens to get it as a rental, they may actually be impressed enough to take a look at one at a showroom someday.

^ What he said.

Quick quiz. Notice something different about the two commercials (86 vs 08):

(new)

(old)

^ What he said.

Quick quiz. Notice something different about the two commercials (86 vs 08):

(new)

(old)

The old one actually shows you something about the freakin' car!!! New car commercials in general for all brands are absolutely horrid when it comes to actually showing you what they car can do. They're all about some stupid warm, fuzzy message these days instead of about the product.

So far I've seen 2 on the road and no one who knows what it is....so this money should be spent in some solid advertisements instead of opening the world up to the car with a rebate...

Well, you know what they say, a pig with lipstick is still a pig, which is the case here with this five hundred redesign (sorry Taurus)...You can't drink this car pretty. :-)

Also, here in Canada, the base price of the Taurus is $8,000 more than the Fusion. Oh, yea, they'll sell maybe 20 per month here in Canada.

The old one actually shows you something about the freakin' car!!! New car commercials in general for all brands are absolutely horrid when it comes to actually showing you what they car can do. They're all about some stupid warm, fuzzy message these days instead of about the product.

Ab-so-freakin-lutely! I don't want to look at some schmoe and his family, show me what you are trying to push.

I don't think the new Taurus commercial is bad. What they need are some other commercials to compliment it. I think that commercial is a sort of "heart-strings" commercial where they try to get tugging at your emotions. If they had some other, more substantive commercials, it would be good to compliment the current one. I don't really understand Ford's launch of this ALL NEW product either. Don't you want to advertise your product the most when it's all new? People aren't being reminded of the product. This is an all new Taurus. People won't buy it if they don't know about it. PR can only get you so far, and most of the articles that have been written about the NEW Taurus focus mostly on how badly Ford screwed up on the name of the 500. Heh.

NickF1011: I agree with your comments. I did like the Grand Marquis we rented a lot though. We drove it through the mountains of West Virginia, quite hard, I might add, and it got 25 mpg! We were amazed.

Edited by SVT_MAN

The $500 is not an issue. It may help move a few units as they roll in.

Keep in mind that many dealers have zero of these cars on the lot at this point. Of the six dealers in this area only 3 had even one in stock as of yesterday. Today the 2nd largest dealer in this area got his first one. I happened to be there when they took it off the truck. These cars are very nice looking, a huge improvement, addressing the weak points of the Five Hundred. Not the least of which was the silly name.

Yes they are big cars. thats who they are aimed at, big car buyers. And people who are tired of SUV's.

I have seen the Ad one time on Fox news early evening. Its not the ad I would run, but at least it is an Ad. The company needs to really crank it up and get people in to see these cars. They will sell, the Five Hundred for all it issues had a great closing rate when the dealer had a chance to sell the car. The Taurus should have at least the same rate.

Well, you know what they say, a pig with lipstick is still a pig, which is the case here with this five hundred redesign (sorry Taurus)...You can't drink this car pretty. :-)

Also, here in Canada, the base price of the Taurus is $8,000 more than the Fusion. Oh, yea, they'll sell maybe 20 per month here in Canada.

At $23,900 and up, this Taurus will be hard pressed to jump back into the 150,000 capacity. Like I said b-4......price point. Hello....Alan...wake UP !! CAP is surveying for transfers from all over ...Hope its for the MKS cuz I dont think Taurus will max out.

At $23,900 and up, this Taurus will be hard pressed to jump back into the 150,000 capacity. Like I said b-4......price point. Hello....Alan...wake UP !! CAP is surveying for transfers from all over ...Hope its for the MKS cuz I dont think Taurus will max out.

How many times do people need to be reminded that it's not 1990 anymore?

Once more, apparently.

$23,900 is dog gone CHEAP for a sedan these days, let alone one the size of the Taurus with 263 HP standard. The AVERAGE transaction price on a car these days is around $26,000. The average transaction price for the Camry is somewhere in the territory of $23,000-24,000. This puts the Taurus square in the sites of the 'sweet spot' in the market. By all accounts, except those still stuck in 1990, the Taurus is a bargain at its MSRP.

I think the TV commercial focusing on family and safety is a great start and I've been seeing it almost everyday on network TV since the campaign started 10 days ago. I don't know what you guys are watching, who complain that they haven't seen any ads. The need to follow up with another spot highlighting the car's other features besides safety. I've also seen an ad on the internet almost every day since the Taurus ad campaign was launced on June 18. A couple days ago, I saw my first one driving on the road near the eastern shore of MD/DE.

The $500 is not an issue. It may help move a few units as they roll in.

Keep in mind that many dealers have zero of these cars on the lot at this point. Of the six dealers in this area only 3 had even one in stock as of yesterday. Today the 2nd largest dealer in this area got his first one. I happened to be there when they took it off the truck. These cars are very nice looking, a huge improvement, addressing the weak points of the Five Hundred. Not the least of which was the silly name.

Yes they are big cars. thats who they are aimed at, big car buyers. And people who are tired of SUV's.

I have seen the Ad one time on Fox news early evening. Its not the ad I would run, but at least it is an Ad. The company needs to really crank it up and get people in to see these cars. They will sell, the Five Hundred for all it issues had a great closing rate when the dealer had a chance to sell the car. The Taurus should have at least the same rate.

The Fusion launched with a $500 rebate and has had at least that much ever since, even when they were in short supply last year. I'm convinced Ford has built this $500 rebate into the price of both the Fusion and Taurus to placate those domestic buyers who demand rebates.

yeah right!!!!!!!! and i'm the pope!

Remember that most retail sales are not for stripper cars, a small $500 incentive is going to encourage purchase of more options.

It's a simple marketing tool that really works.

well, it could have what? a 3k rebate like the new the truck that is changing it all tundra?

Heartstrings and emotions don't mean squat when you are trying to push a car that is prett much all new with under a nameplate that Joe Schmoe equates to the rental car.

Show the car inside and out. Tell everyone about the safety features. Let everyone know that it has 263 hp obtained on regular fuel. Show off how roomy the car is indside and how much you can shove in the trunk. Poke fun of the Azera, Maxima and Avalon. Let everyone know that this is not what you would expect from a Taurus.

How many times do people need to be reminded that it's not 1990 anymore?

Once more, apparently.

$23,900 is dog gone CHEAP for a sedan these days, let alone one the size of the Taurus with 263 HP standard. The AVERAGE transaction price on a car these days is around $26,000. The average transaction price for the Camry is somewhere in the territory of $23,000-24,000. This puts the Taurus square in the sites of the 'sweet spot' in the market. By all accounts, except those still stuck in 1990, the Taurus is a bargain at its MSRP.

Ok, Nick, we know its not 1990. Anyway, obviously the Taurus' popularity these last 2-3 yrs (at least) has been arguably, its fleet sales and its suppressed selling price(in Detroit area anyway). No these are not the same cars, but this is where the marketing must somehow have a breakthrough in order to sell these. Let me just say I dont think it will sell 120K a yr unless they get dumped in fleet to the tune of 30-40%.JMO.

Ok, Nick, we know its not 1990. Anyway, obviously the Taurus' popularity these last 2-3 yrs (at least) has been arguably, its fleet sales and its suppressed selling price(in Detroit area anyway). No these are not the same cars, but this is where the marketing must somehow have a breakthrough in order to sell these. Let me just say I dont think it will sell 120K a yr unless they get dumped in fleet to the tune of 30-40%.JMO.

Well the problem you describe seems to be one that needs to be addressed by the sales staff, not Ford Motor Company. When those buyers come in looking for the fleet special discount on a brand new Taurus, the sales staff needs to pursuade them to look at the Fusion instead, which will likely fit their price point much more closely. If Taurus sales suffer because more people are buying the Fusion instead, I don't see that as being as much a problem than if people aren't looking at the Taurus at all to begin with and end up buying something from another brand.

Well the problem you describe seems to be one that needs to be addressed by the sales staff, not Ford Motor Company. When those buyers come in looking for the fleet special discount on a brand new Taurus, the sales staff needs to pursuade them to look at the Fusion instead, which will likely fit their price point much more closely. If Taurus sales suffer because more people are buying the Fusion instead, I don't see that as being as much a problem than if people aren't looking at the Taurus at all to begin with and end up buying something from another brand.

I believe its Ford that needs to address it,IF sales staff AND marketing doesnt. After all Ford ultimately pays the bills,so to speak. If they are happy with 100k/yr. with hefty fleet ,than maybe this will be deemed a success. Ford also has talked alot about "conquest" sales. They really do not want to cannibalize Taurus sales t o sell more Fusion. Yes its better than going elsewhere, but it does nothing to stabilize and then increase market share. Lets hope these neat ads on safety pull traffic into dealers looking to buy a Taurus.(sarcasm)

The lack of saturation advertising is most disturbing to me. My in laws were looking for a crossover SUV a few weeks ago (later changed their minds) and didn't even know that the Taurus X existed. I had to explain the entire concept to them and show them an older freestyle on a lot to give them an idea about it. Once I explained it to them, they were very interested.

I've also been on the road quite a bit lately (back and forth on I-10 between Mobile and New Orleans) and I haven't seen a single 08 Taurus, sable, or Taurus X. No billboards. No Radio spots. Nothing. Its like the vehicle doesn't exist. After they torpedoed the 500 and montego, you'd think that they would have learned their lesson. Apparently not. You can't go it alone on name recognition anymore. You HAVE to get the product out in front of the buyer BEFORE he goes to a competitor. This is most especially true when most of your competitors are known for having a better dealership experience than you are known for having.

I believe its Ford that needs to address it,IF sales staff AND marketing doesnt. After all Ford ultimately pays the bills,so to speak. If they are happy with 100k/yr. with hefty fleet ,than maybe this will be deemed a success. Ford also has talked alot about "conquest" sales. They really do not want to cannibalize Taurus sales t o sell more Fusion. Yes its better than going elsewhere, but it does nothing to stabilize and then increase market share. Lets hope these neat ads on safety pull traffic into dealers looking to buy a Taurus.(sarcasm)

HOW would Ford address it though? They are NOT going to lower the price of the vehicle. It's ALREADY priced lower than most comparably-equipped fullsize sedans on the market. Should Ford GIVE them away for the sake of sales numbers? That would be idiotic and lead them right back into the mess they are trying to get out of now. You're the first one I've heard complain about the Taurus or Five Hundred based on its price.

IF more people are buying fords, then it does help market share...it doesn't matter if they are buying a taurus or a focus...what they can't do is give them away just as nick said....its better to sell them a fusion close to full price than a taurus for a heavy discount.

The lack of saturation advertising is most disturbing to me. My in laws were looking for a crossover SUV a few weeks ago (later changed their minds) and didn't even know that the Taurus X existed. I had to explain the entire concept to them and show them an older freestyle on a lot to give them an idea about it. Once I explained it to them, they were very interested.

I've also been on the road quite a bit lately (back and forth on I-10 between Mobile and New Orleans) and I haven't seen a single 08 Taurus, sable, or Taurus X. No billboards. No Radio spots. Nothing. Its like the vehicle doesn't exist. After they torpedoed the 500 and montego, you'd think that they would have learned their lesson. Apparently not. You can't go it alone on name recognition anymore. You HAVE to get the product out in front of the buyer BEFORE he goes to a competitor. This is most especially true when most of your competitors are known for having a better dealership experience than you are known for having.

Is the Taurus X even available now? I don't think it is. That might explain why you haven't seen any...