TCC Drives the Interceptor Airstream and MKR

ANTAUS

Thank God.

I understand Ford's logic that cool concepts create interest in the brand, but imagine the kind of interest a PRODUCTION vehicle would garner?

I certainly hope the Interceptor has a strong influence on the 2010 Taurus. As far as MKR production hopes, haven't we been hearing strong chatter about a Mustang-based Lincoln coupe for the next product cycle?

The Interceptor would have competed with the Charger. But since the Charger's sales record is sluggish do to fuel cost's, and the few municipalities that that tried them out have found them to be impractical for a cop car. There will be no fleet sales. The Airstream was as ridiculous the Syn, but I really liked the MKR!

There was another concept that the Fusion was based on, but the elements from the 427 where incorprated into it after its successful showing on the auto curit...I can't remember the name of the damn concept car though...it came out in 2000-02 time period.

Was it the Prodigy?

Ford%20Prodigy.jpg

Edited by NickF1011

I see a lot of 500/Taurus in that prototype.

Quite a bit. I also came across this image as the "Ford Prodigy" but I don't remember ever seeing this version before:

fordprodigy.jpg

Anyone shed some light on this? Article is dated January 10, 2000, while the article where I got the first pic was dated June 2000. All the info sounds the same though.

Quite a bit. I also came across this image as the "Ford Prodigy" but I don't remember ever seeing this version before:

fordprodigy.jpg

Anyone shed some light on this? Article is dated January 10, 2000, while the article where I got the first pic was dated June 2000. All the info sounds the same though.

Interesting!

fordprodigy.jpg

/FUGLY

ford_prodigy_hybrid.jpg

http://www.21stcentury.co.uk/cars/ford_prodigy.asp

Ford Prodigy is a vehicle that demonstrates Ford's progress in developing a hybrid electric family vehicle with mass appeal. It is built on a lightweight platform, features a modern, aerodynamic design and is powered by a low-storage-requirement (LSR) hybrid electric powertrain.

Prodigy's advanced powertrain combines two separate propulsion systems: a small, energy-efficient diesel engine and a three-phase, alternating-current electric drive system, with an automatic-shift manual (ASM) transmission. The electric system assists the internal combustion engine when extra power is needed, such as during acceleration, and recaptures energy normally lost during deceleration - called regenerative braking. Prodigy's aluminium DIATA (Direct Injection Aluminium Through-bolt Assembly) diesel engine is about 35 per cent more efficient than conventional petrol engines. This four-cylinder, 1.2-litre compression-ignition, direct-injection engine generates 74 PS at 4,100 rpm.

The starter-alternator, a small high-power electric motor packaged between the transmission and engine, provides up to 47 PS in supplemental power when needed. The combination of these two power sources - available power totalling up to 121 PS - gives the lightweight Prodigy customer-pleasing performance comparable to today's Ford Mondeo. The starter/alternator and power electronics module gives Prodigy the capability of stopping at idle to conserve otherwise-wasted fuel. Prodigy's DIATA engine restarts in less than 0.2 seconds - literally the blink of an eye - after the driver touches the accelerator pedal.

Prodigy's instrument panel features an energy-flow display that continually shows the flow of energy around the vehicle. When the engine is off, the display indicates the 'ready' status of the engine and the state of charge for the battery electric drive system.

Because the engine shuts off when the vehicle is at rest - such as at traffic lights or when braking - the energy flow display assures the driver that power will be available when needed. The ASM transmission combines the operating ease of an automatic transmission with the efficiency of a manual transmission. It is 20 per cent more efficient than a typical automatic transmission. Because the vehicle's LSR design requires very modest energy storage - less than half that of a conventional starter battery - the result is a lower-cost and less complex hybrid system. Prodigy's aerodynamic design enhances vehicle aesthetics while reducing air resistance. Its 0.199 coefficient of drag (a measure of air resistance when a vehicle is in motion) contributes to the vehicle's improved fuel economy. Helping to enhance the vehicle's aerodynamic performance are side-mounted cameras and onboard monitors used in place of conventional side-view mirrors. The cameras provide a needed side view for the driver without hindering airflow around the vehicle.

Variable ride height, grille shutters and shields under the car also contribute to the vehicle's slippery aerodynamics. The clean, simple exterior design of the Prodigy features trapezoidal headlamps and taillamps and a louvered grille that functions only when needed - opening and closing to allow air in and out. The taut surfaces coupled with the wider overall stance - with 19-inch, five-spoke chrome wheels and tyres set to the very edges - give Prodigy a dramatic, sporty look. The exterior body panels are finished in Potomac blue.

Is this what we would call a passive diesel Hybrid?

With a slightly different style, I think this little car would sell well.

This would leave Toyota's Prius for dead on the showroom.

Edited by jpd80

fordprodigy.jpg

looks like a freaking nissan altima or something.

Edited by one2gamble

looks like a freaking nissan altima or something.

The original concept sketch was different again and it is a Euro design from 2000.

You could easily substitute a Fusion type grille for the USA or a C1 Focus grille for Europe.

It's easy to change that stuff.

Original:

ford_prodigy_hybrid.jpg