Ford Explorer Falls from SUV Grace

Link

The Honda CR-V was introduced in 1997, when the Explorer was at its start of its popularity. The CR-V barely broke the 67,000 mark in sales. The smaller SUV, later known as a CUV, didn't have a big takeoff from its debut. As gas prices rose, buyers began to notice the CUV. With the same amenities as the Explorer and better gas mileage on the road, 2000 sales jumped to around 118,000 units.

From zero to America's best selling SUV. Only Ford could fuck up things this badly.

Nike-Child-Swim-Cap2.jpg

"Bububu 30% fleet sales can't be wrong, Escape is selling great and proving Ford was right!111!!"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say Ford can be faulted for the slide in Explorer's popularity. Ford has continued to update the Explorer, but buyer tastes have simply shifted elsewhere. Ford CAN be blamed for not addressing other segments where Explorer buyers went, but that's not the fault of the Explorer itself. Even with all that said, it's not like the Explorer is dead in the water. It's still selling north of 10,000 units a month, which is certainly not small potatoes in the sport utility market.

With the Edge doing well now and the '08 Escape apparently being more popular with consumers than we all initially thought though, it looks like Ford's slide in the SUV/CUV market may have finally come to an end. Is the CRV selling well? Sure. But so are the Explorer, Escape, Edge, and even the Expedition. The only question mark in Ford's entire SUV/CUV lineup is whether or not the Taurus X will be able to get any traction. In my opinion, that's really a small piece of the puzzle. Where Ford needs to focus now are on the upcoming small cars.

Ah, the negatard queen of "bubububu" returns!

No one has brought as much nonsensical trash to BON, and this is no exception!

Gosh...it's not like BOF SUVs have been in declining popularity for a couple years now, or anything....

...although, it's funny; if this negatard had used TTAC for headhunting the Explorer, he would've found that TTAC-the kings of the domestic "death watch"-gave it a very positive review.

Oh, wait, that's not the sort of thing Tard-boy posts here. He prefers his "bubububu" babble.

There isn't really anything wrong with the Explorer. The buying public moved on to smaller more fuel efficient models---CR-V, Escape, Edge, Pilot---MPGs is what hurt the Explorer IMO. But if you look at the market every SUV in the midsize category has dropped drastically-Trailblazer anyone!!! Just as Nick said the vehicle does sell reasonably well, and it is still competitive. You also have to take into account that no SUV is selling 400,000 units like the Explorer did and will probably never will. Its a smaller market and Ford has to adjust.

On another note, everyone here knows Ford has done some really stupid and idiotic moves (as in Focus, Escape, Ranger rotting on the vine) in the past. But I see no point in bringing up all of these goofs anymore, since everything chaotic at Ford is being reworked with Mullaly at the helm. Things are changing under new management. I see no point in stating the obvious when its well, obvious.

Edited by ManFord

Hey, Ford Australia was ahead of the curve in 2003, replacing the Explorer with the Territory, a Falcon based CUV.

Problem was it was done in isolation, instead of something common being across the company, like Freestyle or Edge.

I understand the Freestyle has been up there for a few years and the Edge just starting out.

I'm sure both of these vehicles, Edge and Taurus X will help boost numbers.

Edge is selling well and hopefully Taurus X will match it's sales.

Edited by jpd80

Edge is selling well and hopefully Taurus X will match it's sales.

I don't think Ford is even expecting the Taurus X to match its other CUVs in sales. A solid 5000-6000 a month would probably have Ford executives tickled pink, so long as the Taurus and Sable sell in adequate volume to keep Chicago busy. The joys of platform sharing that Ford is finally starting to get. Every model on a platform doesn't need to be a through-the-roof hit to justify its existence.

I think the Edge is really a near perfect CUV for Ford N.A. Personally, I like them and if I were buying a new Ford today for family use, that's probably what I'd get. They seem well constructed inside and out and have a nice look. Of course, Ford always ran the risk of cannabalizing Explorer sales with the Edge, but if people are shying away from truck-based SUVs, Ford might as well make the sale as giving it to Honda, Toyota or Nissan.

Does anyone know if the Explorer is going to get the D35/D37 anytime soon? Since the cologne is going to be phased out, there will be a gap in the engine lineup for the explorer that needs to be filled. This may help some of its sales slide as well. The D35/D37 should be measurably more efficient than the Cologne 4.0L v6, maybe to the tune of 2 mpg city and highway.

I keep harping on about this ...but the Explorers demise was STYLING...plain and simple.....

IMHO, it was the front end. The rest of the vehicle is rather nicely done; the design has nice shape and surface development compared to its competition, but then there's that front end. Sumbitch ugly, especially when you compare it to this:

Meta-One-Hybrid-Exterior.jpg

I keep harping on about this ...but the Explorers demise was STYLING...plain and simple.....

although, IMO it looks nice, it's current refresh outside (using the same roofline, etc.) still looks too similar to the 05 explorer, which is probably as Deanh said, the main part of explorer sales falling (along w/ fuel economy), people want something different, something new looking all over (but then again, look at expedition sales, even escape sales, they're refreshes are similar to the Explorers, but their sales are up, go figure, maybe customers think Ford did a better job on them? :shrug: )

The joys of platform sharing that Ford is finally starting to get. Every model on a platform doesn't need to be a through-the-roof hit to justify its existence.

That's why a unique platform like Falcon can survive/thrive, by using derivatives.

It's better if we all use the same platforms and that's happening in the near future.

IMHO, it was the front end. The rest of the vehicle is rather nicely done; the design has nice shape and surface development compared to its competition, but then there's that front end. Sumbitch ugly, especially when you compare it to this:

Meta-One-Hybrid-Exterior.jpg

maybe they should make the Mountaineer front end look like that (if it lives through another refresh/redesign)

although, IMO it looks nice, it's current refresh outside (using the same roofline, etc.) still looks too similar to the 05 explorer, which is probably as Deanh said, the main part of explorer sales falling (along w/ fuel economy), people want something different, something new looking all over (but then again, look at expedition sales, even escape sales, they're refreshes are similar to the Explorers, but their sales are up, go figure, maybe customers think Ford did a better job on them? :shrug: )

I'd say its just the general overall market for SUV's going down hill more then the styling of the Explorer that did it in. going from 1.25 for gas in 2001 to over $3 bucks a gallon in some markets in 6 years puts a serious dent into peoples pocket books. The SUV market and its king, the Explorer are shrinking market. The Explorer still sells in respectable numbers, but expecting 400K sales out it is a bit much.

As for the Expedition and Escape sales, I think they where better done then the Explorer, and the Escape's sheetmetal doesn't have one carry over piece from the older model. The Expedition market is more or less stable since people are going need a large truck to tow campers or boats with and their families and the Escape's increased sales could be coming from people downsizing from Explorers.

Does anyone know if the Explorer is going to get the D35/D37 anytime soon? Since the cologne is going to be phased out, there will be a gap in the engine lineup for the explorer that needs to be filled. This may help some of its sales slide as well. The D35/D37 should be measurably more efficient than the Cologne 4.0L v6, maybe to the tune of 2 mpg city and highway.

I also am wondering why (according to the Ford website) the 292-hp V8 gets the same MPG ratings as the 210-hp V6?

I'd say its just the general overall market for SUV's going down hill more then the styling of the Explorer that did it in. going from 1.25 for gas in 2001 to over $3 bucks a gallon in some markets in 6 years puts a serious dent into peoples pocket books. The SUV market and its king, the Explorer are shrinking market. The Explorer still sells in respectable numbers, but expecting 400K sales out it is a bit much.

As for the Expedition and Escape sales, I think they where better done then the Explorer, and the Escape's sheetmetal doesn't have one carry over piece from the older model. The Expedition market is more or less stable since people are going need a large truck to tow campers or boats with and their families and the Escape's increased sales could be coming from people downsizing from Explorers.

I suppose there are many more alternatives to an Explorer now as well, which would also obviously hurt sales.

Doesn't the Escape have the same greenhouse/roofline, i know they raised the beltline, along with the other improvements.

True, there aren't many other options for a large vehicle able to carry tons of people, stuff, and haul any boat, etc. (except for Tahoe, etc.)

I dunno.

GM is canning the Envoy & Trailblazer. Chrysler is killing the Aspen & Commander, and probably the Durango.

Why is it such a big deal that the one model that has a future, more or less, is losing sales?

good point, maybe the Explorer would be able to take some of these customers (back, in some cases), who need a midsize SUV that can tow, etc.

I could just be hoping too much, but who knows?

I suppose there are many more alternatives to an Explorer now as well, which would also obviously hurt sales.

Doesn't the Escape have the same greenhouse/roofline, i know they raised the beltline, along with the other improvements.

If the belt line was raised 2 inches,IIRC the overall height of the greenhouse/roofline remained the same, thus a change in the green house (ie glass) had to be done..

Link

From zero to America's best selling SUV. Only Ford could fuck up things this badly.

Nike-Child-Swim-Cap2.jpg

"Bububu 30% fleet sales can't be wrong, Escape is selling great and proving Ford was right!111!!"

Ford know what their doing. The CRV will struggle soon as only premium car makers will make this segment work in the longer term. That's why Ford are letting the LR2 kick the CRV-s but in Europe and charging nearly twice the price on a top speced model. No need to worry too much about the Escape.....Ford know what they are doing......don't you worry.....they have the best 4x4 brand in the world ready and sales are growing at over 8% a year. Land Rover record sale, blah, blah, blah.....

If the belt line was raised 2 inches,IIRC the overall height of the greenhouse/roofline remained the same, thus a change in the green house (ie glass) had to be done..

sorry, i just meant the roofline

I feel stupid for asking this but what does IIRC mean?

Edited by rmc523

Because the V6 is a pig with a 5-speed transmission, and the V8 comes with a 6-speed. The only logical reasons to buy the V-6 is for FFV capability, and lower cost.

so would Ford, as someone else said, be able to but the more powerful/fuel efficient 3.5L V6/6-speed combo found in the Edge into the Explorer?