Mercury Sable X

SVT_MAN

Sorry if this is a repost, but is this a Mercury Sable X caught in testing?

mercury-crossover-spy.jpg

Leftover mule from when they were planning on replacing the Freestyle with a Mercury. It died upon approval of the On-Road Explorer. Since a D3 Mountaineer would pretty much be exactly the same as this, there was no point in spending the money to launch an all-new nameplate.

That thing's been sitting where it is for the last 8 months. I took a couple of shots of it, contacted ye ol' Brenda Priddy, and she told me it was dead.

That's a shame. It's a nice looking piece. I prefer it against the Taurus.

Edited by SVT_MAN

LOL. I have no idea what they're calling it. I think Taurus X is a terrible name too. I wish Ford would stop with their terrible naming schemes.

Same here. Taurus X reminds me too much of the Gremlin X, and of course the Pacer X.

2094429_1_full.jpg

That's hot!

Edited by 68Cougar

What caught me off guard was the tag in that ad. "Have you driven a Ford ... lately?" I didn't know Ford had been using that pitch for so long.

Very cool pictures of the 56 Ford and Thunderbird. The 56 Ford Convertible in yellow and black is especially popular with model car makers. I have one and see that model all the time. That was quite an era. My father owned a 55 Ford in two tone blue and remember it well. Between the 55 Chevy and Ford, they were quite handsome cars and only became more so in 56. Great era. I remember it with fond memories. I remember as a little kid I loved to walk around the block and check out all the cars and peek into the window and see the great interiors of that time. And of course riding our bikes down the street in September and checking out the new cars out back of dealerships as they were not put into showrooms until intro day. Those were the days. You see those pictures and the memories come flooding back. Thanks.

Wow, the Taurus X looks great in that shot. Kudos to Ford - they did a very good job on it. :shades:

I remember it with fond memories. I remember as a little kid I loved to walk around the block and check out all the cars and peek into the window and see the great interiors of that time. And of course riding our bikes down the street in September and checking out the new cars out back of dealerships as they were not put into showrooms until intro day. Those were the days.

I wonder if kids still do that. I remember when the '77 Thunderbird came out begging my dad to stop at the Ford dealer just so I could take a look. Or when the '79 Pace Car came out running over to the dealer just so I could sit in one and get my complimentary Pace Car postcard they were handing out.

I wonder if kids still do that. I remember when the '77 Thunderbird came out begging my dad to stop at the Ford dealer just so I could take a look.

I remember doing that - back then it was easier as there were specific new model release dates.

Back when I was in Windsor, Ontario we used to see Chrysler vehicles on the road months before their release date. I remember way back when a Dodge minivan passed me on the road and it was at least 4 months before the release date.

Very cool pictures of the 56 Ford and Thunderbird. The 56 Ford Convertible in yellow and black is especially popular with model car makers. I have one and see that model all the time. That was quite an era. My father owned a 55 Ford in two tone blue and remember it well. Between the 55 Chevy and Ford, they were quite handsome cars and only became more so in 56. Great era. I remember it with fond memories. I remember as a little kid I loved to walk around the block and check out all the cars and peek into the window and see the great interiors of that time. And of course riding our bikes down the street in September and checking out the new cars out back of dealerships as they were not put into showrooms until intro day. Those were the days. You see those pictures and the memories come flooding back. Thanks.

I have pictures of a two tone white and red Fairlane convertible that I took several years ago. It always knocks me out to see it. The Fairlane was fabulous with the V-check trim separating the two paint colors.

"Have you driven a Ford lately?" It would be funny if we found out Ford actually used it and didn't realized they had done so already in the past...

The Taurus X is ready for woodgrain and a Country Squire name. Call it Taurus X-Country Squire...

I get where your coming from. I love my Explorer, and the V8 under it's hood, but if they ever found a way to make the Taurus X tow approx. 7,000 lbs, that is what I would replace it with.

Out of curiosity, how many times do you need to tow stuff with your Explorer?