Ford 500 Class Action?

macattak1

Ford 500 Class Action

Do you want to file a complaint about problems with brakes?

Ford500ClassAction.com

Ford Mustang Clearance

Special financing on Ford Mustang during Model Year Clearance Event.

fordvehicles.com/specialoffers

4.2 Ford Engine

Engines in stock and ready to ship 3 Year / Unlimited Mile Warranty

www.ae-engines.com

Ads by Google

What is that all about?

I have not heard anything bad about the 500's brakes.

Saw it in the advert on the main forum page.

There's been a problem with premature wear of the rear brakes (just had my pads replaced at 35K) due to sticking and swelling of the rear pads. The rear rotors are also a bit thin and if you don't replace the pads as soon as the chirping starts it can get really pricey as the rotors will be shot too, I learned that lesson on another car I had once. Ford did issue a recall on the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if they changed the pad material or not though, I alos don't know it they made any changes on the new Taurus' brakes/

There's been a problem with premature wear of the rear brakes (just had my pads replaced at 35K) due to sticking and swelling of the rear pads. The rear rotors are also a bit thin and if you don't replace the pads as soon as the chirping starts it can get really pricey as the rotors will be shot too, I learned that lesson on another car I had once. Ford did issue a recall on the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if they changed the pad material or not though, I alos don't know it they made any changes on the new Taurus' brakes/

I've read that there is also an extended warranty on brakes because of this.

What is that all about?

I have not heard anything bad about the 500's brakes.

Saw it in the advert on the main forum page.

Anytime I see a class action suits in adwords always click the link -- does two things, -- Costs the lawyers money that are doing the suit, and makes money for the site I am visiting -- it is a Win Win :)

Anytime I see a class action suits in adwords always click the link -- does two things, -- Costs the lawyers money that are doing the suit, and makes money for the site I am visiting -- it is a Win Win :)

That is exactly what I was thinking...

Rear brakes at 35k? Ouch!

That is exactly what I was thinking...

Rear brakes at 35k? Ouch!

I have noticed quite a few 500's out there with brake dust on rear wheels which I think is kind of unusual. Usually you see brake dust on front wheels only. Something is going on there. Brakes have always been problem for Ford. My 2002 Taurus has been a great car, but brakes could be better. Pedal feel is on mushy side since new. Brakes stop the vehicle fine, but could be better pedal feel. Also my rear brake cylinders locked up and had to replaced at 28,000 miles. In essence, my front brakes were doing all the work. I'm easy on brakes, and still have 70% life left on front pads after six years and no brake dust at all. I know the mechanics at service shops will always say Taurus great car, but lousy brakes. They know because they get a lot in with brake issues.

But a lot of vehicles have brake issues. Toyota Camry has had brake problems too over the years, and Toyota is good at keeping it quiet. They just shut up and fix it. Keep the customers happy and quiet.

The brake feel and performance on my Montego has been exceptional, indeed I have to be gentle with the brakes to avoid getting rear-ended. There is also much less nosediving on hard braking than almost any other car I've driven, and I think that's why the rear brakes are wearing out early, the way the brakes are balanced they're doing a much larger share of the braking work than on most cars. The rear rotors are ovesized, but hey probably should be vented and have come with oversized pads too, but that's alot more money.

What's with all the whiners complaining about needing brakes @ 30-35,000 miles? That's about how long they lasted on my Mazda6. I didn't find that to be excessive. It will probably need pads again soon with 66,000 on the odometer now. They last even less on the Cobra (for somewhat obvious reasons).

I'm not sure what is typical, but most of the cars my family has owned go 60,000 miles on brake pads. I will say that my 95 Sable eats through rotors like no tomorrow though. Even with vented rotors, that car just plain sucks. Every 30,000 miles, the rotors warp. Ford offers no solution for it, so I just live with it....

My brakes on my LS last usually around 60K miles now that I'm living in the country. When I lived in the Banana Republic of Miami, well...the aggressive driving required, would push them down around 40-50K, and that's ok...fully expected of course.

Has anyone noticed that currently Ford's brakes have been lackluster? I'm not talking about Escape and Edge being underperforming compared to the competition...we've beat that horse already. But I'm talking about pedal feel...? I remember in the late 80's where they were soft and mushy and they were known for that, then in the late 90's it improved substantially. The "feel" that is... Then suddenly the past couple of years, new vehicles have been redesigned or introduced, and they have returned to the mushiness.

Another example is steering. Fords steering a decade ago was sort of average. With the introduction of the Contour you began to see steering feel improve, be tighter, more spot on, and luckily today, Ford has continued to do well in regards to steering input/feel. But with brakes, it's as they are having some sort of issue...anyone see the same ?

I'm not sure what is typical, but most of the cars my family has owned go 60,000 miles on brake pads. I will say that my 95 Sable eats through rotors like no tomorrow though. Even with vented rotors, that car just plain sucks. Every 30,000 miles, the rotors warp. Ford offers no solution for it, so I just live with it....

Stop buying rotors from the Ford dealer - buy an upgraded rotor from NAPA for the same price or even less. Problem solved!

What's with all the whiners complaining about needing brakes @ 30-35,000 miles? That's about how long they lasted on my Mazda6. I didn't find that to be excessive. It will probably need pads again soon with 66,000 on the odometer now. They last even less on the Cobra (for somewhat obvious reasons).

I side w Nick here....you guys all need to buy a benz pr Bimmer and REALLY Piss and moan at approx 20k or less.....ever wonder why their front rims are constantly BLACK? Soft pads thet wear in unison with the rotors.....can we say $$$$$$ to replace...NO machining on those spendy puppies.....

I side w Nick here....you guys all need to buy a benz pr Bimmer and REALLY Piss and moan at approx 20k or less.....ever wonder why their front rims are constantly BLACK? Soft pads thet wear in unison with the rotors.....can we say $$$$$$ to replace...NO machining on those spendy puppies.....

At least BMW's maintenance plan will likely cover at least the first set of pads/rotors. You're screwed after that runs out though.

Stop buying rotors from the Ford dealer - buy an upgraded rotor from NAPA for the same price or even less. Problem solved!

Just be sure to know what you want and what your looking at, not all "upgrades" are actual upgrades.

Edited by one2gamble

//

Has anyone noticed that currently Ford's brakes have been lackluster? I'm not talking about Escape and Edge being underperforming compared to the competition...we've beat that horse already. But I'm talking about pedal feel...? I remember in the late 80's where they were soft and mushy and they were known for that, then in the late 90's it improved substantially. The "feel" that is... Then suddenly the past couple of years, new vehicles have been redesigned or introduced, and they have returned to the mushiness.

Another example is steering. Fords steering a decade ago was sort of average. With the introduction of the Contour you began to see steering feel improve, be tighter, more spot on, and luckily today, Ford has continued to do well in regards to steering input/feel. But with brakes, it's as they are having some sort of issue...anyone see the same ?

Not sure -- I had a friend drive the Fusion and they said it brakes quickly ... like it is sensitive to touch, similar to a VW.

I always believed the Fusion has a tight turning feel (which I like).

Ford traditionally has a tighter feel than the other domestic brands, I've been told. I can agree with that.

Now, back to braking -- the Explorer feels really mushy in braking. The 500 feels more mushy than the Fusion, too, but it's more acceptable.

I had a friend drive my (Mercury) Explorer and she said "I think your brakes are spongy - something's wrong with them". She's no slouch on cars; it's just that the Explorer has mushy brakes.

I'm trying to remember how the Ford Focus felt. I'm pretty sure it was a good package overall.

Edited by Roadrunner

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with rear brakes is real. Our Montego has same problem. Huge amounts of brake dust on rear wheels whenever we wash car, and sometimes it feels like rear brakes are sticking for a few feet whenever you take off. I've been complaing about this to dealer since car was new....and they just said it was "normal" like I was an idiot.

Now Ford finally says there is a problem, offers to fix, and extends the warranty on brakes. That's about all they can do, so I am satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...
The problem with rear brakes is real. Our Montego has same problem. Huge amounts of brake dust on rear wheels whenever we wash car, and sometimes it feels like rear brakes are sticking for a few feet whenever you take off. I've been complaing about this to dealer since car was new....and they just said it was "normal" like I was an idiot.

Now Ford finally says there is a problem, offers to fix, and extends the warranty on brakes. That's about all they can do, so I am satisfied.

Ralph, just bought a 07 Montego, was driven by the sales manager. Had 5500 miles on it. Got a $5000 rebate,plus Z plan. Took it on a 2200 mile trip with interstate, back country roads and mountain roads, noticed brake dust heavy on rear wheels. Should I talk to the dealer about this now or wait and get a few thousand more miles and see what happens. Love the car, handles the mts well, rides good too.Wish the seat would go back a little further, I'mm over 6ft and have to run the seat all the way back. Would appreciate any info. Thanks. Fred

Ralph, just bought a 07 Montego, was driven by the sales manager. Had 5500 miles on it. Got a $5000 rebate,plus Z plan. Took it on a 2200 mile trip with interstate, back country roads and mountain roads, noticed brake dust heavy on rear wheels. Should I talk to the dealer about this now or wait and get a few thousand more miles and see what happens. Love the car, handles the mts well, rides good too.Wish the seat would go back a little further, I'mm over 6ft and have to run the seat all the way back. Would appreciate any info. Thanks. Fred

I'm sure you will get notice in the mail like we did, but a service writer at your L/M dealership can fill you in. We have about 20,000 miles on our 05 Montego, and rear brakes still have pad life, but I think we will go ahead and get the "fix". I believe the "fix" is just new rear pads and rear rotors turned on the car. And warranty extended to 3 years or 36,000 miles on rear brakes. Currently our rear wheels turn back with brake dust before each car wash. Very little to none on fronts.

Otherwise we believe this is a terrific car for our use, and we are well satisfied with car and dealership (Longwood Lincoln Mercury, Longwood, Fl).

Edited by Ralph Greene

My 2005 Five Hundred now has around 48,000 miles on it. At 27,000 the rear brake pads were replaced by Just Brakes (because I knew that Ford - at that time - did not include brakes in the warranty). I was concerned by the pads needing to be replaced so soon and the fact that the rear pads were gone before the front pads. Just Brakes told me that this is common because of the Five Hundred being a European design (Volvo). In July, I received the letter from Ford stating that they have included rear brake pads on the warranty up to 36,000 miles. I followed their instructions for a refund of previous repairs (gave the dealer my original receipt), and received a check for the price of the brakes (they did not pay for the $39.95 labor charges). I felt this was a good gesture by Ford, and the action should have been taken sooner.

I'm sure you will get notice in the mail like we did, but a service writer at your L/M dealership can fill you in. We have about 20,000 miles on our 05 Montego, and rear brakes still have pad life, but I think we will go ahead and get the "fix". I believe the "fix" is just new rear pads and rear rotors turned on the car. And warranty extended to 3 years or 36,000 miles on rear brakes. Currently our rear wheels turn back with brake dust before each car wash. Very little to none on fronts.

Otherwise we believe this is a terrific car for our use, and we are well satisfied with car and dealership (Longwood Lincoln Mercury, Longwood, Fl).

Thanks for the reply Ralph. Talked to a manager at one of our areas largest Ford dealers yesterday at our retiree breakfast, he said they have the notice from Ford, they will replace the pads and rotors with updated parts. the Montego only has about 7200 on it now, think I'm gonna wait a few more miles and see what happens. Washed it Sunday afternoon,drove it about 30 miles that evening and 20 Monday morn, reached down and got black dust on my finger ????? He told me a lady brought her 500 in for state inspection with 15500 miles on it and the rear pads failed . This was before Ford "realized" there was a problem, he didn't say what was done. Those spoke like rims on the Montego are a pain to clean, tried pressure washing, still had to get out the soap and rag to get them clean. Look good when they are clean tho. Thanks again, catch you later,,,

Fred

PS I'm in Chesapeake Va. Worked at Norfolk Truck, retired in Jan this year.