Cadillac CTS

96 Pony

I did notice the new CTS has new egine technology like direct injection, something Ford will have out, but at least one year from now and probably longer. Ford really is playing catchup. It's like Ford has been sleeping for years, and now is just waking up. Cadillac has the technology out now where they can produce v6 with over 300hp and great gas mileage. Ford is talking about it. That is disheartening to me, a Ford fan.

I did notice the new CTS has new egine technology like direct injection, something Ford will have out, but at least one year from now and probably longer. Ford really is playing catchup. It's like Ford has been sleeping for years, and now is just waking up. Cadillac has the technology out now where they can produce v6 with over 300hp and great gas mileage. Ford is talking about it. That is disheartening to me, a Ford fan.

What about TwinForce? When it comes out Cadillac/GM wont have anything like it.

GM might have this new DIG 3.6L V6 with high-tech goodies, and it might be good news for them, but it doesn't deter from the fact that overall, GM's engine program is lackluster if anything. And as previously reported by other media outlets, they are lacking in comparison to Ford and Chrysler. The Vortec V8 Piston-Knocking hasn't been resolved because they haven't even addressed or admit there's an inherent issue. And the onslaught of old-tech OHV engines stemming from decades ago, still breathing life.

Thats another company that needs more engine tech, and streamlining their engine offerings. Their 3.6L is just a starting point, they have some ways to go.

GM might have this new DIG 3.6L V6 with high-tech goodies, and it might be good news for them, but it doesn't deter from the fact that overall, GM's engine program is lackluster if anything. And as previously reported by other media outlets, they are lacking in comparison to Ford and Chrysler. The Vortec V8 Piston-Knocking hasn't been resolved because they haven't even addressed or admit there's an inherent issue. And the onslaught of old-tech OHV engines stemming from decades ago, still breathing life.

Thats another company that needs more engine tech, and streamlining their engine offerings. Their 3.6L is just a starting point, they have some ways to go.

You are right there. Alltlhough the present GM trucks don't have that ticking noise, lots of GM trucks on road do. I noticed the other day at least two previous generation Chevy Tahoes backing out of driveway and that ticking sound was there in its full glory. I don't know how they live with that noise. A few years ago neighbor would start his Chevy Avalanche in morning and until engine warmed up it ticked real loud and then calmed down a little. GM definitely has problem there. If it was me, I'd try to get them to buy the vehicle back. My other neigbor has a new Avalanche and it makes no ticking noise. So GM must know what's wrong as they fixed it with new model.

Considering a revised MKZ is on the way along with the MKS, I find this to really mean nothing.

It means everything. Most of the automotive press is fawning over this thing mostly because of their sport options and luxurious and high-tech interior. When is the last time we heard of Cadillac being compared to BMW before now?

Just saying Lincoln is going to have to meet or exceed what Caddy has done recently with the MKS and revamped MKZ.

It means everything. Most of the automotive press is fawning over this thing mostly because of their sport options and luxurious and high-tech interior. When is the last time we heard of Cadillac being compared to BMW before now?

Just saying Lincoln is going to have to meet or exceed what Caddy has done recently with the MKS and revamped MKZ.

Yes, apparently the way the engine sounds (awful) compares it very unfavorably to BMW. Besides, Lincoln does not need to be BMW. They are not that kind of company.

You are right there. Alltlhough the present GM trucks don't have that ticking noise, lots of GM trucks on road do. I noticed the other day at least two previous generation Chevy Tahoes backing out of driveway and that ticking sound was there in its full glory. I don't know how they live with that noise. A few years ago neighbor would start his Chevy Avalanche in morning and until engine warmed up it ticked real loud and then calmed down a little. GM definitely has problem there. If it was me, I'd try to get them to buy the vehicle back. My other neigbor has a new Avalanche and it makes no ticking noise. So GM must know what's wrong as they fixed it with new model.

the GMT350s still tick. i pulled up next to an HHR the other day and it was ticking like crazy.

Yes, apparently the way the engine sounds (awful) compares it very unfavorably to BMW. Besides, Lincoln does not need to be BMW. They are not that kind of company.

O.K. - so what kind of company are they or should they be? Currently they are re badged Fords competing with Buick - for chrissake the 300 offers more for the money currently than Lincoln.

O.K. - so what kind of company are they or should they be? Currently they are re badged Fords competing with Buick - for chrissake the 300 offers more for the money currently than Lincoln.

Which is why there is a revised MKZ and the new MKS. Lincoln has an exciting product line on the way. They will share less and less with their Ford counterparts, but be based on the same platforms. Lincoln is more of a luxury first company than a sport luxury company like BMW. Mercedes would be a better thing to shoot to be like IMO.

Which is why there is a revised MKZ and the new MKS. Lincoln has an exciting product line on the way. They will share less and less with their Ford counterparts, but be based on the same platforms. Lincoln is more of a luxury first company than a sport luxury company like BMW. Mercedes would be a better thing to shoot to be like IMO.

I really, really hope you are right re: MKS and the MKZ. I really want to own a Lincoln in the future.

Of course, even though I do like your thought that they should be shooting for Mercedes, they also have the AMG options.

But bottom line is, Cadillac has raised the stakes with the '08 CTS.

It's not your fathers Cadillac anymore. :shades:

Edited by 96 Pony

I really, really hope you are right re: MKS and the MKZ. I really want to own a Lincoln in the future.

Of course, even though I do like your thought that they should be shooting for Mercedes, they also have the AMG options.

But bottom line is, Cadillac has raised the stakes with the '08 CTS.

It's not your fathers Cadillac anymore. :shades:

I hope Lincoln does great...the Caddys Origami styling seems to be getting long in the tooth......

I hope Lincoln does great...the Caddys Origami styling seems to be getting long in the tooth......

Yea it is.

I liked it initially because it kind of hearkened back to the '67 Eldorado.

But it is getting a little old now. "Modern Retro" is an iffy thing.

Sometimes it works (i/e '94-'98 Mustang) Sometimes it doesn't (i/e '02-'05 Thunderbird.)

Edited by 96 Pony

IMO, Lincoln has a long way to go in terms of offering a different product from the lesser Ford and Mercury variants all of them are based on. That without a doubt is a given, but that fine line has to be walked in terms of a return of investment. Cadillac has not really achieved the financial glory that GM would hope, and I'm sure that is a big concern in terms of Lincoln.

What Lincoln needs is extra emphasis payed to details. Build quality, materials and feature content. These are all areas that can be improved, without a ton of financial commitment. No one purchases a Lexus because of how sporty they are and I know for a fact the same thing can be said about Lincoln. Where Lexus succeeds is craftmanship and the so-called 'Gold Quality Standard'. This by all means doesn't excuse vehicles such as the Mark LT, and to a much lesser extent, the MKX........but you have to start somewhere.

personal taste....was interesting initially...admire the fact at least they don't look like everything on the road, just think it is getting old.....gimme a Cien though....awesome!

Sales of the CTS never waned after its introduction, so I'd say you're probably in the minority.

You are right, however, that it all boils down to personal taste.