Flex will make Homer happy!

928s4

My price of $28,700 for a base SE model came from http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/build/.

The SEL (whatever that means), starts at $32,790

And the Limited starts at $37,000 and tops out at $45,400 for the AWD model. And, surprisingly, SYNC is *NOT* standard on the Limited.

Thats not really shocking...the Chrysler Town & Country in the new commercials is as shown over $40,000.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My price of $28,700 for a base SE model came from http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/build/.

Exactly. Did you not understand the post you quoted?

Ford is doing price research on the Flex right now. There are, as you will note, assorted disclaimers on the website stating, "prices subject to change".

Visit that link and try again. Dollars to donuts you get a different price.

Wow!

I just built a Flex that's as close as can be to the Freestyle that we own. Actually, the Flew is better considering the powertrain and cosmetics I couldn't resist...

At $30,800, the Flex came out CHEAPER than the window sticker on our fully-loaded 2005 Freestyle SEL.

Now THAT kicks ass! A better vehicle, 4 years later, for less? If they don't jack with that pricing scheme, they can sign me up...

From SEMA

286461437.jpg

286461425.jpg

Ok, I'll take back to whole "it will bomb" theory just from these pics. They look really cool dolled up but I'm afraid this style might get old, kinda like Chrysler 300 or Magnum wagon. Everybody wanted one at first, now they are losing their luster and look silly. With any luck the Flex will be like the Woody and be a nice low volume classic????

Edited by Hydro

Ok, I'll take back to whole "it will bomb" theory just from these pics. They look really cool dolled up but I'm afraid this style might get old, kinda like Chrysler 300 or Magnum wagon. Everybody wanted one at first, now they are losing their luster and look silly. With any luck the Flex will be like the Woody and be a nice low volume classic????

I just wonder what they do with it the next generation to update the sheetmetal?

I'm really curious as to see the Lincoln Verison, its completely different...

the plant manager at OAC has said this past week that the flex has a life cycle of about 4-5 years!

Ford will have gone through quite a few 7-seater Crossovers by the time the Flex is gone. They've really struggled to nail this segment. The Edge, on the other hand, is a smash hit. I don't think the Flex or Taurus X are working out to their potential, largely because of either bland or flamboyant design. There is nothing in the middle for the masses, generally people prefer contemporary and progressively safe designs as opposed to the bland Taurus and the trendy Flex. Neither vehicle also adequately substitutes an SUV or minivan unlike the large Crossovers from GM, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, etc...

Ford is also the only maker among these big companies without a minivan. They have to make up for it with crossovers which have failed to hit the mark. Ford's biggest marketshare hit has been because of their poor selection of 7-passenger family haulers. NO minivan, an unwanted classic SUV, and a failed Crossover. The Flex is a niche player in a very bread and butter arena, I'm very concerned Ford has made all the wrong choices here. They aren't spending their limited funds where they can make the biggest impact. A new Explorer within 2 years would solve SOOO many problems.

Edited by BORG

Ford will have gone through quite a few 7-seater Crossovers by the time the Flex is gone. They've really struggled to nail this segment. The Edge, on the other hand, is a smash hit. I don't think the Flex or Taurus X are working out to their potential, largely because of either bland or flamboyant design. There is nothing in the middle for the masses, generally people prefer contemporary and progressively safe designs as opposed to the bland Taurus and the trendy Flex. Neither vehicle also adequately substitutes an SUV or minivan unlike the large Crossovers from GM, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, etc...

Ford is also the only maker among these big companies without a minivan. They have to make up for it with crossovers which have failed to hit the mark. Ford's biggest marketshare hit has been because of their poor selection of 7-passenger family haulers. NO minivan, an unwanted classic SUV, and a failed Crossover. The Flex is a niche player in a very bread and butter arena, I'm very concerned Ford has made all the wrong choices here. They aren't spending their limited funds where they can make the biggest impact. A new Explorer within 2 years would solve SOOO many problems.

hey man, give the flex a chance!!!! when we see some sales numbers than give your views on fords 7 pass mistakes.

hey man, give the flex a chance!!!! when we see some sales numbers than give your views on fords 7 pass mistakes.

The alternative scenario is Ford creates a flash in the pan smash hit to boost confidence while it prepares a more conventional large Crossover to replace the Explorer in order to pick up the lost market share.

I'm not sure Flex has the potential the Edge had when it debuted, a very large and enthusiastic audience of potential consumers. The Flex has a fairly narrow focus dictated by its design.

Edited by BORG

Exactly -- we heard the exact same crap before the Edge came out -- nobody will want it -- it's gonna bomb -- too big/small/slow/different/blahblahblah.

Jeez ... let it release already ... then praise it or bury it.

You may be right, but you may be wrong.

This is probably the same exact arguement the Chrysler folks were having when they were deciding the fate of the Caravan prototype.

"Well, um... its a lot smaller than a regular van, the potential is very small, it will only be a niche market......etc."

Folks are only NOW trying to steer away from minivans, after 20+ years of steady volume, but there isn't much choice. Not everyone likes SUVs. I think this van/wagen has a good potential. If anything else it looks like a fun alternative to a van. Hopefully, it will be a good economic choice for consumers as well.

Edited by joihan777

Just an opinion,

but the Flex interior, from the steering wheel position and angle, to the dash lay-out, and the seating size and height off the floor, seems to have "car" styling cues, and not "mini-van".

And another opinion:

I dislike the operational feel and sound of manual sliding doors, especially in cold weather. I don't trust electric sliders for reliability or child safety. So, I am pleased that the Flex doesn't have 'em.

You may be right, but you may be wrong.

This is probably the same exact arguement the Chrysler folks were having when they were deciding the fate of the Caravan prototype.

"Well, um... its a lot smaller than a regular van, the potential is very small, it will only be a niche market......etc."

Folks are only NOW trying to steer away from minivans, after 20+ years of steady volume, but there isn't much choice. Not everyone likes SUVs. I think this van/wagen has a good potential. If anything else it looks like a fun alternative to a van. Hopefully, it will be a good economic choice for consumers as well.

Ironically, the same minivan that Hal Sperlich tried to sell to HF II before he left Ford for Chrysler. In hindsight, one of the biggest missed opportunities in automotive history.

Those on here who are flaming the Flex to hell because of the prices listed on FordFlex.com, I have one word for you...RELAX!!! Those are NOT the real prices. I say this from experience, as this is exactly what they did when the Fusion was 1st shown, and that is publish options with prices, to see the consensus on what people would want. I remember pricing out a loaded SEL on the Fusion survey and it was over $30,000, but when the car came out, the most a Fusion could cost at start was $26,445. I have a good feeling the Flex will come in lower than the survey. Maybe tipping $40,000 with all options. We will soon find out.

I hope you are correct - but it is too late for me because after pricing out a Flex, I decided to lease an MKX. Perhaps in two years the Flex will be reconsidered. One problem of market testing at very high pricing. :finger:

post-11790-1131144017_thumb.jpg

I hope you are correct - but it is too late for me because after pricing out a Flex, I decided to lease an MKX. Perhaps in two years the Flex will be reconsidered. One problem of market testing at very high pricing. :finger:

"Very high" is relative. What's on the Flex site now is undoubtedly going to be within a couple of grand of what we'll see, which honestly isn't THAT expensive for what you get. If you think the FLEX is priced high, you'll probably pee yourself when the Lincoln version hits showrooms then.....

post-11967-1131144118_thumb.jpg

post-11967-1131144138_thumb.jpg

post-11967-1131144151_thumb.jpg

Usually the pricing comes out a bit lower, from what Ford usually has on their 'build" website prior to a release. Obviously they are testing the market/buyers...also helps them figure out what options are popular as well.

It's usual we haven't seen ANYTHING pertaining to the Lincoln Flex though. It's been a tight lipped secret.

That doesn't surprise me, afterall, we didn't see anything of the Flex before Ford's unveiling at the show.

We saw lots of sneak pics of the "Fairlane" before the Flex intro. Even the Bold Moves series had Flex pics. We haven't seen is anything on the MKFlex. The rumors are running that it will be substantially different from the Flex. Ford has done an impressive job of keeping a lid on this one.

We saw lots of sneak pics of the "Fairlane" before the Flex intro. Even the Bold Moves series had Flex pics. We haven't seen is anything on the MKFlex. The rumors are running that it will be substantially different from the Flex. Ford has done an impressive job of keeping a lid on this one.
it is FULL SIX MONTHS BEFORE THE INTRO and Ford has the new MKS, Bullitt, Fusion, Mustang and other cars to launch in the interim .. they will not overshaddow them with the lincoln mk-flex.

Expect hints to begin in January or February probably in monthly sales reports:

"Lincoln rides high on early sales of MKS and continued strength of MKZ and MKX, and there is more good news - another new model will debut in New York"

Igor