Flex will make Homer happy!

928s4

Actually, the Flex reveal was in April at the NYIAS, wasn't it?

about 40 months concept to production is not awful, but it could certainly be better. I say it's not awful because Ford kind of tossed the Fairlane concept out there as a 'See if it sticks' kind of a thing (cf Toyota FJ).

My guess is that about 5-7 months (far too long) went to feasibility and platform selection, and subsequent delays have been due to the re-engineering of D3 concomitant with the MKS.

In other words, Flex debuts on D3-2, same as MKS, rather than D3-1.

Edited by RichardJensen

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all, if you are spending north of $30,000 for a vehicle, don't you want it to stand out?

Uh, no, because I'm not shallow as a mud puddle. I don't need to flaunt what I spend to anyone or make some kind of social / financial statement. I don't even understand the kind of petty, shallow thinking it takes to come to that conclusion.

1ZVFT82H765129932.pdf

1ZVHT82H265133833.pdf

1ZVHT82H365137423.pdf

That's 1.5 years from the production launch, that's not slow to you?

Considering how long its taking GM to launch the Camaro, this is a walk in the park

It normally takes a year or longer to see a new production ready vehicle at an auto show to make it to market. I know Pete L on AutoExtremist had a great idea...show the car at the Autoshow then have it on the market in 3-6 months after that....we'll see if anyone does that

Uh, no, because I'm not shallow as a mud puddle. I don't need to flaunt what I spend to anyone or make some kind of social / financial statement. I don't even understand the kind of petty, shallow thinking it takes to come to that conclusion.

So you be happy driving a 30K Hundiya then?

I don't think people realize just how costly it is to engineer a curvy vehicle, it's not just a matter of changing out the molds, there is a whole different fit and finish challenge. GM has the resources to do it so that's why you see bolder designs while Ford plays a much more conservative approach. Ford designs are focusing on cost efficient quality.

"GM has the resources to do it so that's why you see bolder designs while Ford plays a much more conservative approach. "

Conservative, like the new, non-curvy European Fords? Conservative, like the Kuga?

Production and assembly tolerances are basically the same, especially with modern stamping alloys and casting resins. Either it fits, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, make changes til it does. Indeed, fit and finish standards on plain, simple shapes like, say, the 1961 Continental, may actually be more difficult because of the lack of distraction to the eye.

So you be happy driving a 30K Hundiya then?

Whatever I decide to buy and drive will have nothing to do with what you or anyone else on the face of the planet thinks about it because frankly you don't matter in that decision. So if for some reason I decided that a 30K Hyundai was the car for me that's what I would drive and straight to hell with the snobs that don't approve of it. lol

Whatever I decide to buy and drive will have nothing to do with what you or anyone else on the face of the planet thinks about it because frankly you don't matter in that decision. So if for some reason I decided that a 30K Hyundai was the car for me that's what I would drive and straight to hell with the snobs that don't approve of it. lol

That's exactly how I feel about my Fusion in regards to what other people think....

I personally love the Flex. Its one of the few vehicles that changed little from concept to production and is one of the few products that ford will/has released that IS bold. Tradionalism is what has crippled FoMoCo in the past . So yes this isn't another tradionsl/conservative/boring vehicle... That's not cutting it for Ford as we have seen. So if the original poster is concerned over that, theres some Buicks he can take a look at.

I too, think the Flex looks like a poor derivative cousin of the Scion Box, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not the target demographic. I didn't come from minivans. The Edge would probably be a better fit for me.

Regardless of our opinions, you never know how something will sell. If it captures public opinion, the proof will be in the numbers. Regardless of whether or not I like it, Ford needs some winning designs. If this is it, great. If not, Ford can't afford another Taurus/500.

As far as a $30K Hyundai, if it was sporty, looked nice, handled well, and was what I was looking for, I'd buy a Hyundai/Kia.

Edited by the_spaniard

If he saw this, I understand his opinion:

medium_757252701_aee2c42dde_o.jpg

I'm one who would be in the market for a Flex like vehicle. I remember when we bought our van, saying to my wife, "I wish they still made wagons". So I guess I'm part of the target group. This is a horrid picture though. I hope it looks better in person.

My main complaint is: as usual, put the freakin front wheels out front where they belong! If Ford did that on the 500/Taurus, Fusion, and now the Flex, it would improve the looks dramatically.

I just don't get it.

I'm one who would be in the market for a Flex like vehicle. I remember when we bought our van, saying to my wife, "I wish they still made wagons". So I guess I'm part of the target group. This is a horrid picture though. I hope it looks better in person.

My main complaint is: as usual, put the freakin front wheels out front where they belong! If Ford did that on the 500/Taurus, Fusion, and now the Flex, it would improve the looks dramatically.

I just don't get it.

with transversely mounted FWD setup, their options are limited ... they cannot move the wheels in front of the engine ... nit without huge costs anyways.

The boxy shape sort of accentuates the front overhang, but I do not find it to be that bad .. only as bad as any other FWD car. (save for the most recent Audi's)

and that is a HORRIBLE shot .. black bumpers, black wheels, blurry cell-phone pic and awful lightning conditions ... that would make probably any car look awful .. I will try to dig up some better real-life shots.

Igor

Edited by igor

What's the big red button on the dash. I looks like a Staples "Easy Button".
most prototypes have this - it completely disconnects the electronics -- you know in case it all starts smoking and such ... as I said - most or even all prototypes have this, as they are testing the wiring and computers and all that.

Igor

What's the big red button on the dash. I looks like a Staples "Easy Button".

kill button for the engine if something goes wrong...LOL

Is it me or does the interior not quite look like the concept they showed at the NAIAS?

Oh it doesn't have the wood grain on the dash...guess its either missing or its a lower trim model...

kill button for the engine if something goes wrong...LOL

Is it me or does the interior not quite look like the concept they showed at the NAIAS?

Oh it doesn't have the wood grain on the dash...guess its either missing or its a lower trim model...

lower trim .. well it is a mix-match of different pieces . .the steering sheel is the Limited wheel, but the dash is from SEL. The exterior is the same - the wheels and rear are from Limited- the headlamps are from SEL

Igor

with transversely mounted FWD setup, their options are limited ... they cannot move the wheels in front of the engine ... nit without huge costs anyways.

Yeah, I know. I just can't help myself. I just have a pet peeve about it, (just ask RJ) I've been whining about it since I came to this board 5ys ago. Just hope if Ford ever designs a new FWD transaxle, they put it in front of the engine. It's unfortunate that everyone used the GM X-cars as the model for FWD.

Thanks for the speedy reply though.

Let's clarify some things.

The Flex is not designed to be a mass-market vehicle. It has a polarizing design, meaning some people are meant to despise it, while others will love it. Some of you despise it, while others love it. Business decisions cannot be made based on one guy's opinion.

The Scion xB comparison is ridiculous... it's like saying a BMW 3-Series coupe is just a $40,000 Hyundai Elantra, because they share some vague styling similarities.

20070407-2009-ford-flex-5.jpg

Ford-Flex_2009_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

The Flex looks like a million bucks to me.

Remember, this is the market that's buying Civics, CRVs, and xBs in DROVES... which are absolutely awful looking, so what's more important... selling cars, or forcing people to buy cars WE find beautiful?

The Flex is not designed to be a mass-market vehicle. It has a polarizing design, meaning some people are meant to despise it, while others will love it. Some of you despise it, while others love it. Business decisions cannot be made based on one guy's opinion.

The Scion xB comparison is ridiculous... it's like saying a BMW 3-Series coupe is just a $40,000 Hyundai Elantra, because they share some vague styling similarities.

20070407-2009-ford-flex-5.jpg

Ford-Flex_2009_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

The Flex looks like a million bucks to me.

Remember, this is the market that's buying Civics, CRVs, and xBs in DROVES... which are absolutely awful looking, so what's more important... selling cars, or forcing people to buy cars WE find beautiful?

You always bring so much reason into the conversation. We are lucky to have someone like yourself posting on this forum.

and I'm pretty sure this market will also never buy a Ford product in their lifetime. They are the import die hards who want thier import but to also look different at the same time. I hardly doubt the Chevy HHR took any business from Honda or Toyo, just Chrysler and Chevy fans. Remeber, I'm just guessing and throwing an opinion out there but I don't have a good feeling about this vehicle.

I don't have a good feeling about this vehicle.

Well, look at your avatar and your sig.

You are nowhere near the demographic this vehicle is aimed at, and the target demographic is not 100% sold on imports either. These are the same kind of style conscious people that prefer the Edge to the Murano. They're not averse to buying domestic, if the overall package is 'cool'; and believe me, the Flex, for these people will be 'cool'.