Meet the production Ford Kuga

P71_CrownVic

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the reviews I read which always ranked it behind Accord and Camry, and even the Hyundai Sonata from time to time! At least the Ford took off better than the Hyundai, although the Fusion barely met Ford's goals and continues to struggle. The Malibu looks to be the opposite, it is not the half-measure the Fusion was but a full fledged trump card that outscores the competition in the auto-rags. That doesn't mean it will be a hit with consumers, but it looks just about right assuming Malibu holds onto its high quality scores.

Motortrend and Car and Driver both ranked it behind only the Accord. The press really liked the car when it came out. They thought it was a little down on poser but didn't have much else bad to say about it. I distinctly remember 1 Comparo. It was Accord, Fusion, Camry, Sonata. I remember many saying that the car was Fords first real entry in a long time. I drove the car and I really liked it. I think it is very solid. It handles very well and is actually kind of fun to drive. It has AWD, something the others lack. Its not near as bad as some make out.

so is the fusion.

why isn't the fusion number 1?

Uhh, that would be the number of plants building the Fusion, the sort of 30 year head start the Accord has in reputation and name recognition, and the 25 year head start for the Camry in those areas.

But I may just be going out on a limb.

----

Besides the Fusion is leagues better than what came before.

Which was the Contour followed by 5 years of NOTHING.

Furthermore, if Ford had gone with the EUCD chassis, the above sentence would read as follows:

"Which was the Contour followed by SEVEN YEARS OF NOTHING.

----

Oh, and nice try, Bagrah, but that's not the Accord that's sold in Japan. It's the INSPIRE. The US Accord is far too big to be sold as a "midsize" anywhere else in the as yet discovered universe.

Except, of course, America, Jr. (aka Canada).

Oh, come on, Richard, you know better than that. Most car magazines magazines felt the same way too--the Aura's low sales are Saturn problems, not car problems.

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Saturn's strengths are the Aura's problems.

It is simply not a car people that would shop at Saturn would like.

It's not simple. It's not friendly. It's not fuel efficient. It doesn't say, "Hi"

GM's designers should've spent months and months with IKEA catalogs before designing the Aura, instead of listening to a bunch of Lutz-crap about "Saturn is our import fighter."

13081_PE056686_S3.jpg

See, that clock should've been the starting point for the Aura. Not some pipe dream about getting people to buy Opels without knowing what they're doing.

The Malibu is the first domestic to really hit the nail on the head when it comes to directly matching the formula of the Domestic Japanese so it will be interesting to see what happens but the Chevy has far more potential (including plant capacity) to really challenge that type of marketshare.

I remember reading that the last Malibu was supposed to be a match to the Camry and Accord and that didn't do anything to improve its sales, and it was touted by GM in its adverts for it!

As for the Fusion, its a solid entry and everyone I talk to love/likes theirs. Its a good start and just needs to nurtured by Ford to make it continually better.

I remember reading that the last Malibu was supposed to be a match to the Camry and Accord and that didn't do anything to improve its sales, and it was touted by GM in its adverts for it!

As for the Fusion, its a solid entry and everyone I talk to love/likes theirs. Its a good start and just needs to nurtured by Ford to make it continually better.

The Fusion does need to remain competitive. It seems that it's starting to swing back to the days of yearly model changes. What was new last year is more quickly obsolete the next. Of course it doesn't help that most Fords made within the past few years were obsolete when they came to market despite being so called new.

Oh, and nice try, Bagrah, but that's not the Accord that's sold in Japan. It's the INSPIRE. The US Accord is far too big to be sold as a "midsize" anywhere else in the as yet discovered universe.

Except, of course, America, Jr. (aka Canada).

Richard, splitting hairs again I see. A rose by any other name..... is still the NA Accord, just as the NA Acura TSX is the Euro Accord. By your logic the Fusion sold in NA is the same Fusion sold in Europe. Just admit you don't know everything already. Its O.K. to be wrong. :reading:

post-25954-1196450909_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196450923_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196450935_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196450954_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196450970_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196450979_thumb.jpg

Richard, splitting hairs again I see. A rose by any other name..... is still the NA Accord, just as the NA Acura TSX is the Euro Accord. By your logic the Fusion sold in NA is the same Fusion sold in Europe. Just admit you don't know everything already. Its O.K. to be wrong. :reading:

I don't know everything, but I did know the NA Accord was sold under a different name in Japan.

I don't know everything, but I did know the NA Accord was sold under a different name in Japan.

FYI Rich,

Latest Accord is same length as Aussie Falcon but 1" narrower.

Honda Accord = Mid Sized Car

Falcon = Full Sized Car

Edited by jpd80

Ok, that's not fair. When the Fusion was released, it was rated by almost every review second only to the Accord. Every other car has been updated since its introduction and its not really fair to leave that out when you compare it. People call the Malibu the First that can compete with the Japanese. I recall many reviews saying that about the Fusion as well. The car is at the end of its current cycle. We can't blame it for that.

If you were a customer why would you care?

unless there were 2500$ on the hood.

FYI Rich,

Latest Accord is same length as Aussie Falcon but 1" narrower.

Honda Accord = Mid Sized Car

Falcon = Full Sized Car

Old US Honda Accord = Mid Sized Car, about Mondeo sized.

New 2008 US Honda Accord (4", 100mm longer) = Full Sized Car (Current EPA classification), similar in size to Taurus (and your Falcon).

So Richard, if you knew the NA Accord was sold as the Inspire abroad, why would you write this?

Because it's true. The NA Accord is not sold as the Accord anywhere outside NA. Where it is sold under a different name (Japan) its volumes are marginal, and it is considered such a departure from what Japanese customers expect from an "Accord" that it is not sold under that name.

Sure, you say that now, but I remember a different tune coming from the magical pipes of el Borgo, that tune being along the lines that the Aura was what the Fusion should've been.

Wrong, I criticized the Aura and you're the one who sung it's design praises.

The Malibu is a Fusion killer more than it's a Camry Killer since domestic tend to fight amongst themselves better than the imports.

Edited by BORG

Because it's true. The NA Accord is not sold as the Accord anywhere outside NA. Where it is sold under a different name (Japan) its volumes are marginal, and it is considered such a departure from what Japanese customers expect from an "Accord" that it is not sold under that name.

So again by your logic the NA Acura RL and Euro Honda Legend aren't the same car because they have different names, and I'm guessing because the NA and Euro Ford Fusion share the same name they are more closely related. Just say your wrong and we can move on. :finger:

post-25954-1196485953_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196485964_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196485980_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196485990_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196486004_thumb.jpg

post-25954-1196486015_thumb.jpg

So again by your logic the NA Acura RL and Euro Honda Legend aren't the same car because they have different names, and I'm guessing because the NA and Euro Ford Fusion share the same name they are more closely related. Just say your wrong and we can move on. :finger:

The Acura RL & Euro Honda Legend neither have the same name, nor have the same history.

The Honda Accord, OTOH, used the be the same car from Tokyo to New York City to Stockholm, with whatever changes dictated by local legislation (be it LHD or RHD, emissions, safety equipment, etc.) Sold under the ACCORD model designation by the brand HONDA.

That has all changed. The NA Accord is exclusively NA; no other Accord shares that body.

---

Now if you want to infer from my earlier post that I was alleging that the exact Honda Accord sold here isn't sold anywhere else on the planet under any other name, that's fine. The language I used wasn't explicit enough for you (apparently). However, I can assure you that what I have said since is what was intended originally: The NA Camry and NA Accord are, essentially, one-offs for this market; and their considerable success here illustrates some noteworthy differences between the US and Europe.

---

Finally, your assertion that I would consider the NA Fusion the same as the EU Fusion is preposterous and it violates the logic by which you attack my earlier post.

In your earlier attacks you criticize me for dismissing the Inspire on the grounds that it is sold along side of, and under different badging than, a product called the Accord.

See, you attack me for dismissing (essentially) the SAME PRODUCT for having A DIFFERENT NAME, while simultaneously asserting that I would accept that a DIFFERENT PRODUCT having the SAME NAME was the same product.

In pointing out the differences between the NA & EU Accords is analgous to pointing out the differences between the NA & EU Fusions. Both are different cars with the same name.

Wrong, I criticized the Aura and you're the one who sung it's design praises.

The Malibu is a Fusion killer more than it's a Camry Killer since domestic tend to fight amongst themselves better than the imports.

1) I said the Aura's design was the most cohesive to come out of GM in a while, along with the Solstice. Subsequent reveals by GM have not shaken me from that notion. You, I recall, were more taken with the interior.

2) The Malibu is a Fusion killer how? It has no obvious price advantage, and it is frightfully anonymous. The only way they make it look agressive is by shooting it from the approximate angle at which it will be seen by your beagle or cocker spaniel. People will buy it over the Fusion for what reason exactly? A marginally more powerful engine bolted into a chassis that in its previous iteration was not noted for its sporting ability and which current reviewers have not raved about either?

Really, why the Malibu? When you see the "Swap Your Ride" commercial, and the gal says that she likes the Fusion because it's stylish and sporty. Well, how is the Malibu either of those things? What on the Malibu catches your eye, stops you in your tracks, etc.? What part of the Malibu experience says, "I want to be tossed through corners"?

malibuhybrid.jpg

The car you can't ignore.....?

I mean that's the car in the real world. Not in any carefully orchestrated photo shoot. That's the car you'll see on the road. It's about as anonymous as the Impala.

Ford_Fusion_2006.jpg

Trash that chrome schonz all you want, it, along with the headlights, give the Fusion a memorable face.

Edited by RichardJensen

The Acura RL & Euro Honda Legend neither have the same name, nor have the same history.

The Honda Accord, OTOH, used the be the same car from Tokyo to New York City to Stockholm, with whatever changes dictated by local legislation (be it LHD or RHD, emissions, safety equipment, etc.) Sold under the ACCORD model designation by the brand HONDA.

That has all changed. The NA Accord is exclusively NA; no other Accord shares that body.

---

Now if you want to infer from my earlier post that I was alleging that the exact Honda Accord sold here isn't sold anywhere else on the planet under any other name, that's fine. The language I used wasn't explicit enough for you (apparently). However, I can assure you that what I have said since is what was intended originally: The NA Camry and NA Accord are, essentially, one-offs for this market; and their considerable success here illustrates some noteworthy differences between the US and Europe.

---

Finally, your assertion that I would consider the NA Fusion the same as the EU Fusion is preposterous and it violates the logic by which you attack my earlier post.

In your earlier attacks you criticize me for dismissing the Inspire on the grounds that it is sold along side of, and under different badging than, a product called the Accord.

See, you attack me for dismissing (essentially) the SAME PRODUCT for having A DIFFERENT NAME, while simultaneously asserting that I would accept that a DIFFERENT PRODUCT having the SAME NAME was the same product.

In pointing out the differences between the NA & EU Accords is analgous to pointing out the differences between the NA & EU Fusions. Both are different cars with the same name.

Just say it, "I was wrong" , then you don't have to bloviate for 3 paragraphs.