Meet the production Ford Kuga

P71_CrownVic

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really don't think any sales were lost to the competition because of the inferior ride and handling?

And don't give me that "Mustang has no competitors" crap.

Might as well stop bragging about IRS in the Expy.

Edited by pcsario

"Raw, road eating cars"...with an ancient SRA. :hytserical:

That shows how backwards Ford NA really is. Their lumbering SUVs get IRS while their ONLY car that is even close to a drivers car, gets a SRA. :finger:

Its amazing how many people who don't even own a 05 Mustang bitch about the lack of IRS...the car drives fine with it and the rear end is leaps and bounds better then the Fox or Fox4 SRA..

It would be a nice Option but thats about it...

Getting back to the vehicle this thread is about...

The Kuga is a pretty attractive compact CUV and very much in the current very curvy, very sleek design mould of nearly all compact CUVs on the market...minus, of course, the Escape. Yet the Escape is the #2 or 3 seller. While I think the Kuga is sleek and attractive and if brought to the US would perform well in the market, I still think there is a place for the more "rugged" looking compact CUV, and that's a niche the Escape really has to itself.

Actually, I would think that a slightly "rougher" Escape and a more "refined" Kuga could probably be marketed and sold right next to each other in the same showroom. They would each appeal to different consumers. Heck, bring over the similar looking EuroFocus and you could call the Kuga the "Focus X" thereby keeping the name in line with Taurus and Taurus X.

Scott

You really don't think any sales were lost to the competition because of the inferior ride and handling?

And don't give me that "Mustang has no competitors" crap.

Might as well stop bragging about IRS in the Expy.

I see the motor-boat boy is proving his lack of, well, anything like intelligence AND composure with astounding consistency!

I'd like an example, bu-bu-boy, of the competition that profited from the Mustang's suspension setup. Real examples, please, with opinions other than the waste of neurons that is your own. For instance, if you cite the Z-car...find an article that PROVES it gains customers the Mustang gives away.

The way you've been droppping f-bombs, lately, you're coming across as 2/3 crazed...are all the months of locking down the "drooler of BON" title finally wearing on you?

Actually, I would think that a slightly "rougher" Escape and a more "refined" Kuga could probably be marketed and sold right next to each other in the same showroom. They would each appeal to different consumers. Heck, bring over the similar looking EuroFocus and you could call the Kuga the "Focus X" thereby keeping the name in line with Taurus and Taurus X.

Would be interesting if Ford flexed them at KC; I wonder if it makes sense to do two different top hats on C2 for the Escape & Focus X (or whatever)..... Stamping could perhaps be shipped over from Europe, save Ford having to buy two sets of tooling....

Would be interesting if Ford flexed them at KC; I wonder if it makes sense to do two different top hats on C2 for the Escape & Focus X (or whatever)..... Stamping could perhaps be shipped over from Europe, save Ford having to buy two sets of tooling....

Meet the Ford Compass and Ford Patriot!

kUGa puts the UG in fUGly.

New body shop... All sorts of rumors to enlarge the trim lines (use the room of the "old body shop) for more models..it is a possibility!! Three crew production is on the table as well... Who knows ??

Meet the Ford Compass and Ford Patriot!

kUGa puts the UG in fUGly.

I didn't think of the Compass & Patriot as the result. More of a Mazda6 & Mercury Milan type arrangement: same suspension, two completely different, yet not unrelated, design motifs inside and out.

I think the Kuga is very much in keeping with the Rav4, Vue, CRV, Equinox style compact CUVs. Those all sell well so why can't Ford tap that market? Yet, I think the more "rugged" Escape also has a definite market niche. Ford could and should have a product in both niches. Especially if you could flex-produce them on the same line yet tailor each of them to appear quite different to the consumer. And stagger the launches.

And I wouldn't call the Compass or the Patriot an entry into either category. They both should have been killed off in the last round of product cuts, but whatever. If the best Ford could do was two vehicles that matched the Compass and Patriot screw my idea and give the Escape another facelift!

Scott

What that jackass who wrote that article doesn't realize is that Ford wanted to bring it over as Lincoln, but it never happened due to currency issues.

Seems like there is more and more group think going on in the automotive press that everything FOE does is automatically better then FNA can do.

I'd like to see FOE redesign the F-series, and see how bad they fuck it up.

You are right FOE would cock-up the worlds best selling vehicle and coupe F-Series & Mustang, they can't even produce something simple like a sports car after 3 piss poor attempts Cougar, Puma and Probe. I think the Kuga will go the same way as these, just about every man and his dog has got a small Kuga in the pipeline for the future, 4x4s are very much going to get legislation passed against them and get taxed of the roads of Europe in the future.

Nobody in Europe buys Ford badged 4x4s and never will? this is a very brave or stupid move by Ford as nobody as bought them in the past, and nobody will in the future. 4x4s are very much a thing snobs buy in Europe its got to have a Land Rover or Range Rover badge on the grill. Most snobs have already deserted Land Rover for the Toyota Prius in London, most would not be seen dead in a Ford badged 4x4 neighbours would think they have fallen on hard times, and most working class Londoners could never afford to buy or run a 4x4.

Who is buyer the Kuga is aimed at in Europe? Roelant De Waard ego maybe, but it no good if it’s going to end up another sales flop like Fords sports cars of the past. A much cheaper C-Max will mop up any future Kuga sales in the future so Ford will have Maverick type huge sales flop on their hands you can see it coming. So Ford is making a 4x4 for market that is non-existent for them, l don't think its brave of them, its just damm stupid.

Who is buyer the Kuga is aimed at in Europe? Roelant De Waard ego maybe, but it no good if it’s going to end up another sales flop like Fords sports cars of the past. A much cheaper C-Max will mop up any future Kuga sales in the future so Ford will have Maverick type huge sales flop on their hands you can see it coming. So Ford is making a 4x4 for market that is non-existent for them, l don't think its brave of them, its just damm stupid.

How does the RAV4 and CRV sell in Europe?

It is quite pathtic knowing that until a couple of years ago there were mentally retarded people running Ford with the same mentality as suv_guy and Richard. The mentality of defending cost cutting a vehicle because it isn't worth the extra cost to be competitive, the mentality to never ever even think about building a segment leading car because who knows if it would sell more then this piece of junk we have to bargain bin price to move. The "it is good enough mentality."

The mentality that got Ford to leverage their entir NA assets, the mentality that had their sales plummet, public perception destroyed and what gave us the 2008 Focus and Escape.

Mullaly, Fields, they are both disgusted and shocked with the lack of caring about product, the shit the hits the showroom under the blue oval, everyone knows the mistakes and realizes what needs to be changed except the few pathetic souls here who will defend uncompetitive products in defense of saving ford a few bucks, defend fords inability to even trieve to put out a class leading car.........they will defend that when even Fords new management won't defend it.

It is quite pathtic knowing that until a couple of years ago there were mentally retarded people running Ford with the same mentality as suv_guy and Richard. The mentality of defending cost cutting a vehicle because it isn't worth the extra cost to be competitive, the mentality to never ever even think about building a segment leading car because who knows if it would sell more then this piece of junk we have to bargain bin price to move. The "it is good enough mentality."

The mentality that got Ford to leverage their entir NA assets, the mentality that had their sales plummet, public perception destroyed and what gave us the 2008 Focus and Escape.

Mullaly, Fields, they are both disgusted and shocked with the lack of caring about product, the shit the hits the showroom under the blue oval, everyone knows the mistakes and realizes what needs to be changed except the few pathetic souls here who will defend uncompetitive products in defense of saving ford a few bucks, defend fords inability to even trieve to put out a class leading car.........they will defend that when even Fords new management won't defend it.

Ok....let me get this straight....now your calling the mustang uncompetitive. You had better go tell that to the consumers. There is no use spending a great deal of money if you are doing it for nothing or very little. The 2008 Escape is doing fine despite your constant complaints and the Focus will too. I'm glad Ford doesn't have someone like you running them, always looking at the negative. If Mulally, Ford, or Fields thought like you, think of the company morale. They would probably have went bankrupt by now.

How does the RAV4 and CRV sell in Europe?

Toyotas RAV4 which was the market leader, has averaged about 55,000 sales per year since 94, not sure but l think Honda is now the taken this crown last year. Compact SUVs both in Europe & the US are booming the moment, whilst the big SUVs sales are in a nose dive at the moment, Toyota have stopped selling the Land Cruiser in Europe for this reason.

Britain is Fords biggest market place in Europe, the Kuga will have to sell well here which l just can’t see it happening 4x4s are very much the preserve of the well to do T-Stag types in the UK, who very much look down theirs noses at Fords of all types. Peugeot/Citroen both are entering this market for the first time and many others have just started selling them for the first time just in the last few years. So a small market is going to become packed out with compact 4x4s, l just can’t see the Kuga selling anything in Germany, France (They would buy it if it had a Peugeot, Citroen or Renault badge on the grill) or the UK, with the tiny market is going to flooded out with loads of newcomers, If Ford sold next to no Mavericks last time round with no competition, how will the Kuga do it in a now flooded out market?

Would be interesting if Ford flexed them at KC......

I've been wondering if Ford, or any of the Detroit Three, will take advantage of the dollar/euro thing and start making cars here that can be imported to Europe. Seems like this would be an idea worth pursuing. I know this would make the UAW happy.

I've been wondering if Ford, or any of the Detroit Three, will take advantage of the dollar/euro thing and start making cars here that can be imported to Europe. Seems like this would be an idea worth pursuing. I know this would make the UAW happy.

Awhile back, someone on BON mentioned that the unused capacity in the US could be used to produce Volvos for both the NA and Euro markets to take advantage of the currency situation. I don't recall if it was just an idea or an insider rumor.

Toyotas RAV4 which was the market leader, has averaged about 55,000 sales per year since 94, not sure but l think Honda is now the taken this crown last year. Compact SUVs both in Europe & the US are booming the moment, whilst the big SUVs sales are in a nose dive at the moment, Toyota have stopped selling the Land Cruiser in Europe for this reason.

Britain is Fords biggest market place in Europe, the Kuga will have to sell well here which l just can’t see it happening 4x4s are very much the preserve of the well to do T-Stag types in the UK, who very much look down theirs noses at Fords of all types. Peugeot/Citroen both are entering this market for the first time and many others have just started selling them for the first time just in the last few years. So a small market is going to become packed out with compact 4x4s, l just can’t see the Kuga selling anything in Germany, France (They would buy it if it had a Peugeot, Citroen or Renault badge on the grill) or the UK, with the tiny market is going to flooded out with loads of newcomers, If Ford sold next to no Mavericks last time round with no competition, how will the Kuga do it in a now flooded out market?

The Kuga will be offered in FWD spec as well, not only AWD.

Despite the escalating CO2 debate, SUVs continue to prove popular in the big markets, with the small SUV segment increasing by 7.1% in the third quarter. The Suzuki SX4, Fiat Sedici and new Jeep Wrangler all posted increased sales. The medium SUV segment is up by 12.8% in the same period, thanks to the success of the Honda CR-V, Land Rover Freelander, Chevrolet Captiva, Mitsubishi’s Outlander and the Opel/Vauxhall Antara. Registrations of large SUVs increased by 19.2%, with the revised Subaru Tribeca and newly-introduced Hummer H3 driving the increase. Luxury SUVs posted a 10.3% increase with much of the growth coming from the full model update of the BMW X5.

http://www.jato.com/page.asp?page=882

Edited by MKII

Good point, there is nothing more l would like to see than the Kuga being the best selling compact SUV in Europe, but l have heard the same things said of the new fanatastic Maverick that was going to take Europe by storm in the past it never happened. FWD version will complete with the C-Max. Ford would be better off building the Kuga in Detroit for the American market because l don't think it will be a big hit Europe, l would rather buy a cheaper C-Max than Kuga.

Ok....let me get this straight....now your calling the mustang uncompetitive. You had better go tell that to the consumers. There is no use spending a great deal of money if you are doing it for nothing or very little. The 2008 Escape is doing fine despite your constant complaints and the Focus will too. I'm glad Ford doesn't have someone like you running them, always looking at the negative. If Mulally, Ford, or Fields thought like you, think of the company morale. They would probably have went bankrupt by now.

Godforbid someone ran Ford that wanted to fix all there shortcomings, oh wait, now they do. The people before with your mentality ruined the company and the were finally cut.

The 2008 Focus and Escape are not the correct way to treat product especially facing Ford current predicament. But you somehow feel putting out uncompetitive product in a segment you used to dominate, only to bargain bin price and fleet dumb to move them, while the segment balloons is the proper way to handle product? Add in the fact that Honda and Toyota eclipsed the Escape, but it sure is doing a "fine" job.

Toyota and Hond got where they are today by focusing on and fixing their shortcomings, Fords previous mentality(the mentality that created the 08 escape and focus) was "what is the least we can to make the product "good enough""

Yeah I do tend to look for where the product is lacking, Sorry, but unlike you I wish to see Ford prosper with segment leading products, you don't, you want Ford to continue to put out shitty products. WTF is wrong with you? DO YOU NOT WISH FOR THEM TO SUCCEED?

Edited by DCK

Godforbid someone ran Ford that wanted to fix all there shortcomings, oh wait, now they do. The people before with your mentality ruined the company and the were finally cut.

The 2008 Focus and Escape are not the correct way to treat product especially facing Ford current predicament. But you somehow feel putting out uncompetitive product in a segment you used to dominate, only to bargain bin price and fleet dumb to move them, while the segment balloons is the proper way to handle product? Add in the fact that Honda and Toyota eclipsed the Escape, but it sure is doing a "fine" job.

Toyota and Hond got where they are today by focusing on and fixing their shortcomings, Fords previous mentality(the mentality that created the 08 escape and focus) was "what is the least we can to make the product "good enough""

Yeah I do tend to look for where the product is lacking, Sorry, but unlike you I wish to see Ford prosper with segment leading products, you don't, you want Ford to continue to put out shitty products. WTF is wrong with you? DO YOU NOT WISH FOR THEM TO SUCCEED?

Thats the problem, the naysayers think if Ford doesn't come out with a product that beats every single thing out on the market its an automatic failure. Doing so is just about impossible, since the market changes so much and there is so much competition out there...then add in various Technical issues, for example 3.5L V6 in the Escape, those engines don't just appear out of the air. That the rub, Ford has to change the product to keep it "fresh" and that might entail using carryover powertrains or whatnot. I get this feeling naysayers want Ford to carry over older products till they get the new ones "perfect" in their eyes (ie build the post 05 Focus till the C2 gets here) but thats a recipe for disaster even more so then doing it "good enough"

With that being say, its not an excuse that Ford can't do better with product development, but it might as well try improving current product as much as it can without giving up...