Lincoln Flagship

We've seen the MKS, and at least some of us know it as the "flagship by default". The original plan called for a vehicle above the MKS, but it appears to be cancelled. Also, the current Town Car is being severely cut back to fleets and special order only.

The question is, does Lincoln need a flagship above the MKS? The MKS is already a very large car, but it lacks the "grand" proportions of the LWB S-Class, or even the current Town Car. We know the MKR is coming, but it will be a midsized sports sedan to slot alongside/below the MKS in price, and smaller in size. So what does Lincoln do?

a- Leave the MKS alone, and let the fully loaded Twin Force model be the flagship of the brand

b- Build a new Town Car on Huntsman, and leave the MKS FWD/AWD

c- Put the MKS on Huntsman, and introduce an MKS-L model

Edited by wescoent

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with option C. Within 3-4 years of launch, Ford should get the next MKS on Huntsman, and move the car slightly upmarket to make a little room for a sports-oriented MKR. Same idea... RWD/AWD, with an emphasis on striking a nice balance between secure handling and a nice ride.

Then, they should stretch the wheelbase by 4-5" or so, with half of that coming on the B-pillar, and half on the A-pillar for a longer hood. Sheetmetal should be similar to the normal MKS, but the suspension should be revised and upgraded for a top of the line ride. Then, for the old-timers, introduce a "Town Car" package with plusher armrests and upholstery, more chrome, a new grill, and a plusher ride.

I think the Lincoln car lineup should look like this:

MKZ: F/AWD based on CD3-4, entry car to compete with ES, TL, 9-3, TSX, etc. Use base 3.7 and hybrid engines.

MKR: huntsman based R/AWD sport sedan with more radical styling and more powerful engines (with optional twin force for instance) to compete with: 3, C, G37, A4, IS, CTS

MKS: D4/share with future S80 platform. AWD sedan with two V6 (one twin force) and optional V8 and hybrid. Competes with 5, E, M45, A6, STS, RL, etc.

MKC: As part of move upscale, join with Volvo to make a rwd platform for the S100 and the MKC. Std V8 with optional Twin Force application as well. Competes with 7, S, Q45, LS,etc.

MK9: MKR based hard top convertable with V6 and V8 engines with ultra cool styling.

We know the MKR is coming, but it will be a midsized sports sedan to slot alongside/below the MKS in price, and smaller in size. So what does Lincoln do?

Is it, in fact, true that the MKR is actually coming? I certainly hope so and I hope that they are able to translate that great styling into production. I realize we probably won't see the transparent roof, but that's fine with me. Lincoln needs this car bad. Hopefully, it remains a 4 door coupe. I think it is a unique opportunity to produce a car like that because the competing 4 door coupes are much more expensive. Besides, the 4 door coupe stlying was dramatic and expressive.

I think FoMoCo made a huge mistake in attaching the "flagship" moniker to the MKS. While I don't doubt that it's a great car, it is not a flagship. A true flagship would be a car like the MKC that was mentioned by another poster.

The last thing Lincoln should do right now is pulling a Phaeton. Work on the lower end first.

Ford needs a CTS/3-series/C-Class competitor, not necesarily a sedan, the MKR could be it, huntsman, V8.

And yeah, I know the Caddy is a one trick pony, but it did wonders for Cadillac's credibility.

You can have a flagship after that, the MKForenza won't do shit even if it had 500HP.

It's extremely generic even with the MKR grille, and no, any comparisons with the XF are ridiculous.

Get the snowball rolling first with something exciting, remember, targeting Lexus is not the smart move long-term.

lincoln_mkr_11_big.jpg

Edited by pcsario

The simple fact that Ford doesn't have a clear plan of what to do with Lincoln, itself is quite irresponsible. Waiting for another "flagship" 4-5 years along the line is unacceptable as well. I would say focus on the lower end, your image, and your reputation, THEN maybe people can aspire for a flagship above the MKS. Conceptually, the whole fact that the MKS is following the LS's pricing scheme itself worries me...$38K to start, then what $55K for TF V6?

I believe a flagship should have one sole engine, and itself be a specific vehicle, rather than a trim level....

I think the Lincoln car lineup should look like this:

MKZ: F/AWD based on CD3-4, entry car to compete with ES, TL, 9-3, TSX, etc. Use base 3.7 and hybrid engines.

MKR: huntsman based R/AWD sport sedan with more radical styling and more powerful engines (with optional twin force for instance) to compete with: 3, C, G37, A4, IS, CTS

MKS: D4/share with future S80 platform. AWD sedan with two V6 (one twin force) and optional V8 and hybrid. Competes with 5, E, M45, A6, STS, RL, etc.

MKC: As part of move upscale, join with Volvo to make a rwd platform for the S100 and the MKC. Std V8 with optional Twin Force application as well. Competes with 7, S, Q45, LS,etc.

MK9: MKR based hard top convertable with V6 and V8 engines with ultra cool styling.

I agree w/ this plan, although the MKC, IMO, should wait a while until the rest of the lineup has great quality (which it does already), is completely separate (design-wise, inside and out) from Ford, and has built it's own new following. Basically wait on the MKC until the new Lincoln lineup is established.

The last thing Lincoln should do right now is pulling a Phaeton. Work on the lower end first.

Ford needs a CTS/3-series/C-Class competitor, not necesarily a sedan, the MKR could be it, huntsman, V8.

And yeah, I know the Caddy is a one trick pony, but it did wonders for Cadillac's credibility.

You can have a flagship after that, the MKForenza won't do shit even if it had 500HP.

It's extremely generic even with the MKR grille, and no, any comparisons with the XF are ridiculous.

Get the snowball rolling first with something exciting, remember, targeting Lexus is not the smart move long-term.

lincoln_mkr_11_big.jpg

Agreed that Lincoln doesn't need a Phaeton, but the kind of car I envision would slot directly above the MKS, as opposed to a Phaeton-type vehicle, which would be priced tens of thousands of dollars above its nearest branded vehicle, ie Passat > Phaeton. We're talking a Lincoln flagship topping out at $65,000 with all options, which isn't much of a reach.

MKR, assuming it proceeds as I anticipate, would probably be a head-on competitior to the CTS, albeit more dramatically styled. V8 may be part of the equation, unless the Twin Force really takes off. It would definitely be larger than a 3-Series, C-Class, or A4, which are really very small cars. Of course, Cadillacs and Lincolns have always been larger cars, so I don't neccesarily penalize Cadillac for making the CTS too big to truly dance toe-to-toe with the 3-Series.

Lincoln will be spending plenty of time and effort hitting the heart of the luxury market, but it's nice to dream about the cars that made Lincoln famous.

Well, first off, GRWD is not Huntsman.

Secondly, I think that no platform is capable of supporting the price and applications that people here fantasize about for GRWD. You want a platform that can support a $19k Mustang and a $70k Lincoln? Not a good idea folks. You'll either have a heavy and non-profit Mustang, or an unacceptably unluxurious $70k Lincoln. The amount of customization required to meet Mustang, Falcon, and Continental expectations will leave you with shared electronics and that's about it. No key systems from brakes to suspension to engines to transmissions could be shared among the Mustang, Falcon, and Continental. Eliminate the Continental from the mix and you have a lot of possibilities between the Mustang, Falcon, etc.

Anything Lincoln does above the MKS must have a bare minimum of shared componentry with anything below the MKS. IMO the MKS is the upper limit for any low-end platform.

--

Furthermore, since such a vehicle is not necessary for the profitability of either Lincoln or Volvo, I think Ford should spend much time building Lincoln and Volvo credentials in the mid price range (with the S80 and MKS) before venturing into a larger segment, in no small part because at that $60-$70k price point image is absolutely everything. It will be years before Cadillac can swim in that pool, let alone Lincoln.

Furthermore, since such a vehicle is not necessary for the profitability of either Lincoln or Volvo, I think Ford should spend much time building Lincoln and Volvo credentials in the mid price range (with the S80 and MKS) before venturing into a larger segment, in no small part because at that $60-$70k price point image is absolutely everything. It will be years before Cadillac can swim in that pool, let alone Lincoln.

Cadillac is already swimming in that pool. Please give credit where credit is due.

Cadillac is already swimming in that pool. Please give credit where credit is due.

60k-70k? With what... the STS-V, XLR, and XLR-V, all of which have been overwhelmingly rejected by the market, to the point where the STS is being dropped, and the XLR is being abandoned with no planned updates until 2013?

60k-70k? With what... the STS-V, XLR, and XLR-V, all of which have been overwhelmingly rejected by the market, to the point where the STS is being dropped, and the XLR is being abandoned with no planned updates until 2013?

So do they or do they not have respresentation in the 60-70K market?

Thats along the lines of what I was saying, waiting until the rest of the lineup gets stronger.