Lincoln Flagship

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look under the hood of one, the engine doesn't sit sideways..

And so that means there can't be a 50 50 split....ok. My intrepid is FWD and the engine doesn't sit sideways. The fact is that Audi builds an AWD flagship. People can try to spin it if they like, but its an AWD car. You can have a proper AWD flagship.

I remember the LHS sedans had a Longitude mounted V6, I believe Passats (for a FWD) also have that as well..

I know thats right for the LHS for sure. My car has a transmission and separate front differential to get the power to the front wheels. Its probably why my car is slower than a weaker Vulcan powered Taurus.

What is it with you Lincoln fanboys? Why do you insist their vehicles are comparable to Audi. AWD and leather do not an Audi make. Yes there is no RWD and their flagship is AWD, but (WARNING: Opinion Ahead) their vehicles are beatifully designed and wonderfully crafted inside and out. Buyers are willing to overlook lack of RWD, average reliability, etc. because these vehicles are truely desirable. Lincoln is currently the KIA, Hyundai has long since been unjustifiable, of luxury automobiles, and I would ask none of you to take my word on that. However you can take Lincoln's

http://www.lincoln.com/shoptools/compare.a...tion=sidebyside

What is it with you Lincoln fanboys? Why do you insist their vehicles are comparable to Audi. AWD and leather do not an Audi make. Yes there is no RWD and their flagship is AWD, but (WARNING: Opinion Ahead) their vehicles are beatifully designed and wonderfully crafted inside and out. Buyers are willing to overlook lack of RWD, average reliability, etc. because these vehicles are truely desirable. Lincoln is currently the KIA, Hyundai has long since been unjustifiable, of luxury automobiles, and I would ask none of you to take my word on that. However you can take Lincoln's

http://www.lincoln.com/shoptools/compare.a...tion=sidebyside

So what do you expect Lincoln to do, give up? They have begun to move back up and continue to do so with the new upcoming products. Of course they are not at the level of Audi, but the tech inside the MKS as well as the very god styling they get a step closer. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. IMO, Lincoln has taken that step and more.

So what do you expect Lincoln to do, give up? They have begun to move back up and continue to do so with the new upcoming products. Of course they are not at the level of Audi, but the tech inside the MKS as well as the very god styling they get a step closer. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. IMO, Lincoln has taken that step and more.

No your right, they shouldn't give up, but we have been here before. That first step, was the LS and they of restarted that "1000 mile journey" 2 or 3 times, each time in a different direction, since then. The tech in MKS makes it finally comparable to an Altima, I guess you could say that's closer to Audi. Furthermore (Warning: Opinion Ahead) the words Audi, good, styling, and MKS should never all be used in the same sentence. The problem, no one at FoMoCo has a clear vision for any of their brands but, Ford. :reading:

No your right, they shouldn't give up, but we have been here before. That first step, was the LS and they of restarted that "1000 mile journey" 2 or 3 times, each time in a different direction, since then. The tech in MKS makes it finally comparable to an Altima, I guess you could say that's closer to Audi. Furthermore (Warning: Opinion Ahead) the words Audi, good, styling, and MKS should never all be used in the same sentence. The problem, no one at FoMoCo has a clear vision for any of their brands but, Ford. :reading:

I would say that there finally is a clear vision for Lincoln. The tech in the MKS is above that of an Altima. With Lincoln Sync, Sirius Travel Link, ACC, the invisible keypad, thx audio, push button start, park assist, etc, Lincoln is moving up very quickly.

I would say that there finally is a clear vision for Lincoln. The tech in the MKS is above that of an Altima. With Lincoln Sync, Sirius Travel Link, ACC, the invisible keypad, thx audio, push button start, park assist, etc, Lincoln is moving up very quickly.

Above that of an Altima, barely, and finally comparable to 2006 introduced 2007 ES350 :shades: BTW what is the clear vision for Lincoln?

Above that of an Altima, barely, and finally comparable to 2006 introduced 2007 ES350 :shades: BTW what is the clear vision for Lincoln?

I don't know it. I meant they seem to have a vision. The styling direction has been determined and in the next couple of years it seems that everything is going to come together quite nicely.

No, they should at least try. How sweet would it be to see XF interior curs in a Lincoln...not Ford cues in a Lincoln.

What about Lincoln cues on a Lincoln? :shrug:

Lincoln is slowly but surely developing it's own styling direction, begun w/ MKR. I believe that coupled w/ some old Lincoln "hallmark" styling cues (which MKR's attributes already are) will last Lincoln for a while.

Doesn't mean it's RWD. The Audi A8 is fulltime AWD, which is, IMO, a waste of gas. You simply don't need power going to all four wheels most of the time.

The quattro system transfers power as needed just like Ford's or, more similarly, Acura's.

Plus, as large as the US-spec Audi A8's engines are (4.2L V8, 350 HP, 328 lb/ft; 6.0L W12, 450 HP, 428 lb/ft), torque steer would be horrible without the quattro system in place.

We were discussing a truly premium Lincoln at FoMoCo News.

Here's the photoshop thread

http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397

Lincoln has been around for a long time, and got lost a few times! They were a premium coach builder, a (very) high end Ford in the 30s, the late 30s and early 40s were striking and beautiful (Zephyr/Continental). They were forgettable in the early 50s, some limited success in the mid 50s (Cosmo, Mark II, Premier) a Caddy wanna-be in late 50s with the huge "lets out do Cadillac" 58-60 Mark.

The 60s Continentals and Mark IIIs were unique, extremely well built and IMHO beautiful. The 70s Town Car/Mark V Land Yachts have a following and are pretty well done in a HUGE disco era cheezy way.

My idea for a Lincoln Flagship: built off the Interceptor with some of the original 39 Continental cues, a bit of Bentley Continental GT.

post-19198-1199061378_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

And so that means there can't be a 50 50 split....ok. My intrepid is FWD and the engine doesn't sit sideways. The fact is that Audi builds an AWD flagship. People can try to spin it if they like, but its an AWD car. You can have a proper AWD flagship.

The point is that you miss is that they aren't FWD cars, with part time AWD when the front tires start to slip, they are RWD drive cars with AWD systems, it totally changes the styling and the dynamics of the car.

Sure you can have an AWD drive flagship, as long as it's based on a proper RWD set-up, a warmed over FWD Ford Taurus doesn't make a flagship, unless you're only competing with Acura.

The point is that you miss is that they aren't FWD cars, with part time AWD when the front tires start to slip, they are RWD drive cars with AWD systems, it totally changes the styling and the dynamics of the car.

Sure you can have an AWD drive flagship, as long as it's based on a proper RWD set-up, a warmed over FWD Ford Taurus doesn't make a flagship, unless you're only competing with Acura.

Why? With 100% of power able to go to either set of wheels, it should do a very good job. I hate to break it to you, but Luxury cars aren't all about dynamics.