Atlanta plant

694doorbird

Drove past the Atlnta plant (home of the Taurus/Sable) on 75 last week. It looked old, run down and abanded. I was just wondering if this is one of the plants that closed, and what future plans for it are.

Atlanta is closed and will be sold. The property, located near Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, is relatively valuable.

According to what I've heard, it doesn't work that well for modern production plant standards as it isn't large enough to have a local supplier park and expansion around it is very restricted/expensive. I would have to agree with Austin, the land should be relatively valuable, so long as it isn't poluted to badly.

You are correct in your assessment of the plant's viability.

The closing had nothing to do with the excellent workforce.

The footprint is limited for a modern plant with a supplier park. And height wasn't an answer either as it was limited by the flight path for Hartsfield. Any expansion of the plant would have required crossing 8 lanes of traffic with a conveyor to transport bodies. When Ford was examining what to do with Atlanta (before all the plant closures), a greenfield site would have been very close in cost to what it would have taken to mess with the existing plant.

I can imagine that an environmental assessment is in the works.

Atlanta is closed and will be sold. The property, located near Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, is relatively valuable.

As is the property at Wixom.

Perhaps I should have said was valuable for Wixom. I don't think you can give away real estate in MI these days. The newspaper said that only RI had more people (percentage wise) move out of the state than did MI and I'm certain on total numbers MI has them beat hands down.

Perhaps I should have said was valuable for Wixom. I don't think you can give away real estate in MI these days. The newspaper said that only RI had more people (percentage wise) move out of the state than did MI and I'm certain on total numbers MI has them beat hands down.

Yes, "was" is the operative assessment. I would think it'll sit there for a long time with few takers.

But the real beauty of the situation is that we are still paying taxes on our real estate as if it were worth something. Things are not too optimistic in SE Michigan right now.

A RWD sedan is supposed to be in the works for 2K12-something, maybe delayed with the new CAFE.

If a new RWD sedan were to be built, wouldn't Wixom be a good choice?

No, unfortunately it would be an awful choice.

Wixom is a mess. It does have a decent paint shop, but that's about all.

It's too large. Too many lines with some lines even criss-crossing each other. All the equipment in the plant is obsolete. Extraordinarily high fixed costs.

No car program could be profitable in Wixom and I don't think we'll ever see it used again. The fact that the LS resided in Wixom was certainly a proximate cause of its death (among other issues).

Better to nuke Wixom and start over somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

There is a buyer interested in the property. It is a valueable piece of land due to the fact that 3 major interstates come together very near. Plus the airport is right behind it. The houses around the property are also being bought by people who are renovating. From what I understand the party interested has repeatedly conducted soil test to try to find something to get the price of the land lowered. As of yet no contamination has been found. Check out the video.

yeah what an awful sight to see. Wonderful memories there, in Kentucky now. Chicago Assembly should be worried A. Hoskins was there before he took over in Chicago. What a mess he left-- could happen again. I'm sure he hasn't gotten any smarter.

I couldn't agree with you more. The guy is a total retard! I wish they would get rid of this guy. Chicago Assembly always gets the worst plant managers in the system!

No, unfortunately it would be an awful choice.

Wixom is a mess. It does have a decent paint shop, but that's about all.

It's too large. Too many lines with some lines even criss-crossing each other. All the equipment in the plant is obsolete. Extraordinarily high fixed costs.

No car program could be profitable in Wixom and I don't think we'll ever see it used again. The fact that the LS resided in Wixom was certainly a proximate cause of its death (among other issues).

Better to nuke Wixom and start over somewhere else.

The paint shop is the most expensive part of a plant- it is usually the first part that is built with an assembly plant. Wixom just needs a flex body shop, and it would be OK to be reused.

I couldn't agree with you more. The guy is a total retard! I wish they would get rid of this guy. Chicago Assembly always gets the worst plant managers in the system!

No, that would go to KTP...Todd Bryant has cut production and manpower to the bone. It seems this is the direction Plant Managers are taking as of late. It used to be a joy to work at Ford. I only wish I knew nine years ago what I know now...

I guess that's the way it goes. I think he is way over his head. No sense whatsoever. You guys defintiley need leadership. Has he ever taken a leadership or managment course? How'd he get the job in the first place? I hear he is still playing games with the ladies though--I heard he rides around in his buggy on th prowl. What's up with that?