RWD Confirmed for Ford and Lincoln

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been hearing it for at least 5 years.

going to take time if the same chassis gos global ie FOA, FOE and Aussie, has to cater to each countries demands ie safety etc plus be flexible enough to accomodate said countries powertrains whic are ALL different....

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going to take time if the same chassis gos global ie FOA, FOE and Aussie, has to cater to each countries demands ie safety etc plus be flexible enough to accomodate said countries powertrains whic are ALL different....

Not as complex as you might think. FoA and FoNA will have pretty similar powertrain lineups within the next year or two. The crash standards are pretty close to universal these days from a structural point. Just some minor things that need to be changed per market. With everyone chipping in resources, it shouldn't take any longer to get something ready.

Not as complex as you might think. FoA and FoNA will have pretty similar powertrain lineups within the next year or two. The crash standards are pretty close to universal these days from a structural point. Just some minor things that need to be changed per market. With everyone chipping in resources, it shouldn't take any longer to get something ready.

good....this all round simplification can only mean one thing....better overall product, higher quality, and capability for quicker refreshes/ changes....sorry, thats more than one thing....

Because Mercury is dead.

This is great news...and only many years behind the G8.

I hope it looks good though. Having a car that clones the 300 greenhouse and has a truck front end is not a good combination.

love the profile, hate the snoz.....

interesting...but wouldn't one build the chassis HERE rather than import to counter $ fluctuations?........

Isn't that what it said?

But that doesn't mean production of rwd vehicles for global markets would be consolidated in Australia.

"There are good reasons not to: currency, freight," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford group vice president of global manufacturing, on Tuesday.

Edited by suv_guy_19

But that doesn't mean production of rwd vehicles for global markets would be consolidated in Australia.

"There are good reasons not to: currency, freight," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford group vice president of global manufacturing, on Tuesday.

Looks like Ford doesn't want to go down the same road as the Holden/Pontiac G8.

The Falcon, Territory and Mustang will evolve towards a combined platform so that

all of them have the same build processes. Once that is achieved,all three types can

be built down the same line in assembly plants in North America and Australia.

Benefits to that plan are Ford Australia gets a right hand drive Mustang and an affordable Fairlane while North America has Mustang, Falcon sized vehicle, panther replacement and

a 7 seater CUV.

None of this really can be considered until the CAW and Ford ratify their contract and

Ford releases the next AUS Falcon in the first half of this year. I would expect either Mulally, Kuzak, Fields, or Farley to be present at the official Falcon launch and maybe then there will

be announcement of future plans.

Edited by jpd80

Looks like Ford doesn't want to go down the same road as the Holden/Pontiac G8.

The Falcon, Territory and Mustang will evolve towards a combined platform so that

all of them have the same build processes. Once that is achieved,all three types can

be built in one assembly plant in North America and Australia.

Benefits to that plan are Ford Australia gets a right hand drive Mustang and an affordable Fairlane while North America can build Mustang, Falcon sized vehicle, panther replacement and a 7 seater CUV.

None of this really can be considered until the CAW and Ford ratify their contract and

Ford releases the next AUS Falcon in the first half of this year. I would expect either Mulally, Kuzak, Fields, or Farley to be present at the official launch and maybe announce futre plans then.

does this mean no more Aussies coming in grinding on prices of GT Mustangs for shipping to Australia then bitching that they either have to pay taxes or not get rebates?.............true story/ actually stories.......

does this mean no more Aussies coming in grinding on prices of GT Mustangs for shipping to Australia then bitching that they either have to pay taxes or not get rebates?.............true story/ actually stories.......

Ford AUS used to import limited nimbers of GT Mustangs back in 2000-2002.

THey had to be Right Hand Drive and complianced - wouldn't you bitch paying $85K for one?

That's why Ford AUS developed the GT Falcon.

Ford AUS used to import limited nimbers of GT Mustangs back in 2000-2002.

THey had to be Right Hand Drive and complianced - wouldn't you bitch paying $85K for one?

That's why Ford AUS developed the GT Falcon.

we had Aussie and Kiwi after Aussie and Kiwi buying and shipping and converting said unit on their shores....and they would sit here and waste sales peoples time like crazy, there is NO need for 5 hour "negotiations" let alone NOT understanding that either Tax and Licence has to be paid or rebates were voided....I remember even walking out a couple of times sympathising for the sales rep not knowing what they were getting into, and telling my compatriots to stop the BS and get to the point.....GAMES!...but several WERE exported, Ford GT's as well @ $150k plus

I have a gut feel that Merc will go away- sorry guys. Hey, I have 2 Mercurys now. The only thing Ford might have in mind for Mercury if they are going to keep it around is perhaps it will be an "import" brand?

Regardless, Ford would be strong as a Ford/Lincoln/Volvo/Mazda company imo.

I have a gut feel that Merc will go away- sorry guys. Hey, I have 2 Mercurys now. The only thing Ford might have in mind for Mercury if they are going to keep it around is perhaps it will be an "import" brand?

Regardless, Ford would be strong as a Ford/Lincoln/Volvo/Mazda company imo.

Soon, Ford products will be pretty much the same everywhere. There is no need for an import brand.

Mercury always has been rebadged Fords anyway so import 'em and rebadge 'em :banghead:

nope, I think similar underpinnings TOTALLY different styling is necessary to differentiate...Mercurys weakness is how recognizable they are to fords bretheren....

I agree. Ford sold more E-series vans than they did Mercurys in 2007. Mercury needs to be axed or become the pipeline for the foreign models.

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?ne...1294&page=2

Responding to signs that Ford is preparing to ditch its premium Mercury brand, Mr Mulally said that "we're committed to Mercury". Nonetheless he added: "We're continuing to review our portfolio."

Few new Mercury models are in the pipeline. While Mercury outsold Ford's luxury Lincoln brand by 37,000 vehicles last year, Mr Mulally said dealers could expect to depend more heavily on Lincoln than Mercury in the future.

we had Aussie and Kiwi after Aussie and Kiwi buying and shipping and converting said unit on their shores....and they would sit here and waste sales peoples time like crazy, there is NO need for 5 hour "negotiations" let alone NOT understanding that either Tax and Licence has to be paid or rebates were voided.

The same people would go and gladly pay the equivalent of US$50K for an Aussie GT Falcon.

US Salesmen need to have a spread sheet ready for these silly green horn importers that

lays out theexpected costs and just say, that's our terms take it or leave it and watch them

buckle under.

Edited by jpd80

Do you just not listen or is it that you don't bother to pay attention....As Biker's signature says, in one voice, we say one Ford. That is the Future that is being brought to bare. Common models with no need for imports.

way i look at it is Ford as Ford, Mercury could now be Fords Up-market Lincoln, and Lincoln could become Fords Jaguar...even more up-market, floorplans could be the same basically however body styles should all be TOTALLY different...each needs its own identity.....

The same people would go and gladly pay the equivalent of US$50K for an Aussie GT Falcon.

US Salesmen need to have a spread sheet ready for these silly green horn importers that

lays out theexpected costs and just say, that's our terms take it or leave it and watch them

buckle under.

some understand, some won't take no for an answer and waste everyones time..its actually very simple...if the car touches soil YOU pay taxes etc, if you PAY for trucking to a port with a bill of lading you DON"T get any rebates and warranties are voided when it leaves US soil....but some ( one screaming A-hole in particular comes to mind ) wanted his cake, baked for him, sliced JUST so, served to him individually wrapped, spoon fed to him in individual slices, whilst all the time thinking dine and dash ) want everything with no appreciation of the persons time that is attempting to assist him ( and I am ASHAMED to say he was a Kiwi ) after 4 hours of running the poor sales person around he went to finance only to storm out when inform ed rebates didn't apply...after two additional hrs of arguing with everybody within hearing distance I pulled him asideand said sayonara, what made it even more infuriating is it was a loss leader.....salesperson should have billed him for his time, but thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes........